Ok, anybody out there have wheel hop, when flooring it. Not just drag racing but at street lights or stop signs etc . Z51 or not, I am trying to figure out, if it could be my summer tires or... Last summer I had the problem at just one spot of road but now it happens often.
Time to take GM to small claims court ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Ok, anybody out there have wheel hop, when flooring it. Not just drag racing but at street lights or stop signs etc . Z51 or not, I am trying to figure out, if it could be my summer tires or... Last summer I had the problem at just one spot of road but now it happens often.
May I suggest going a little easier on the accelerator ... especially at stop signs in school zones :);)

Maybe I am asking the wrong crowd. 🤔 I still drive aggressive but I think this forum might be like my neighbor with his Vettes. Slow and easy :p, I don't act my age, I guess. Anyway rain all weekend here, so I have another week to find out what it is if I can fix it or find the cause. I think these summer tires are useless in cool weather.

Reactions: Bixter44
Which driving/suspension mode are you in "when flooring it"? Sounds like the suspension setup is a little too soft to handle the rear end torque compression under full acceleration from stopped. Is there also rear wheel spin/slip, then grab? If you're in Tour, try it in Sport or Track.

Maybe I am asking the wrong crowd. 🤔 I still drive aggressive but I think this forum might be like my neighbor with his Vettes. Slow and easy :p, I don't act my age, I guess. Anyway rain all weekend here, so I have another week to find out what it is if I can fix it or find the cause. I think these summer tires are useless in cool weather.
Since Iv had the C8 I pretty much button it up by the early October ... but if the weather is dry I'll take it out on devils night go pick up my cousin and cruise the graveyards ... sooo fun

The temp is always pretty cool around 10 degrees or so ... by this time I have the stock wheels back on and being a Z51 it has the summer only tires ... and yup they are pretty much useless sub 10 degrees ... becomes a drift car .. without the control .

Tires could very well be the culprit :cool:

Reactions: Bunny hop
Which driving/suspension mode are you in "when flooring it"? Sounds like the suspension setup is a little too soft to handle the rear end torque compression under full acceleration from stopped. Is there also rear wheel spin/slip, then grab? If you're in Tour, try it in Sport or Track.
I am always on my mode, which is set up almost like track. I tried sport, today with traction on, it hopped again. I had tried it on that road, last summer and no hop, so that is why, I am thinking my summer tires, are the problem. Saturday I did 4 runs on launch control/ track and it hopped every run. Right lane would hop more. As for spin/slip I am not sure. Thank you for your help/input. I never thought this would happen with a mid engine car. The weight is in the back and still won't stick.

Since Iv had the C8 I pretty much button it up by the early October ... but if the weather is dry I'll take it out on devils night go pick up my cousin and cruise the graveyards ... sooo fun

The temp is always pretty cool around 10 degrees or so ... by this time I have the stock wheels back on and being a Z51 it has the summer only tires ... and yup they are pretty much useless sub 10 degrees ... becomes a drift car .. without the control .

Tires could very well be the culprit :cool:
The thing is, it was about 15 today and it was around 15 Saturday. I also had compound at the track. I don't get it. All that weight on the rear wheels!!! Thanks for the input .

The thing is, it was about 15 today and it was around 15 Saturday. I also had compound at the track. I don't get it. All that weight on the rear wheels!!! Thanks for the input .
That is weird .... in the cooler temps I'v had trouble with the tires ... but never a hopping I'v always experienced fishtailing or spinning .. MKC8 may have something with the advice about the modes.... but I dont see how a different mode would affect the stickiness of the tires ... im prob way off but is there any chance you could have flat spots on the tires ?

That is weird .... in the cooler temps I'v had trouble with the tires ... but never a hopping I'v always experienced fishtailing or spinning .. MKC8 may have something with the advice about the modes.... but I dont see how a different mode would affect the stickiness of the tires ... im prob way off but is there any chance you could have flat spots on the tires ?
Wow I hope not . I filled the tires for winter storage at 45 pounds, so they wouldn't get a flat area.

I am always on my mode, which is set up almost like track. I tried sport, today with traction on, it hopped again. I had tried it on that road, last summer and no hop, so that is why, I am thinking my summer tires, are the problem. Saturday I did 4 runs on launch control/ track and it hopped every run. Right lane would hop more. As for spin/slip I am not sure. Thank you for your help/input. I never thought this would happen with a mid engine car. The weight is in the back and still won't stick.
Just my best guess. I suspected suspension setup, because they are mid/rear engine cars, and yes, the weight is towards the rear, so you'd think it would just go. Probably some combination of road condition, tire temp, and maybe even tire wear. Or, something might have let go in the rear end suspension, unnoticed, but that's beyond my knowledge/experience/diagnostic skill of the C8 rear suspension assembly and parts. Try an internet search for "what causes rear end hop during hard acceleration from a stop?". Might give you some ideas. Try it on "Tour"?
I may have "a dog in this fight" soon, so I'm interested.

Reactions: Vettenut
Just my best guess. I suspected suspension setup, because they are mid/rear engine cars, and yes, the weight is towards the rear, so you'd think it would just go. Probably some combination of road condition, tire temp, and maybe even tire wear. Or, something might have let go in the rear end suspension, unnoticed, but that's beyond my knowledge/experience/diagnostic skill of the C8 rear suspension assembly and parts. Try an internet search for "what causes rear end hop during hard acceleration from a stop?". Might give you some ideas. Try it on "Tour"?
If only another C8 had been there, last Saturday, could of gotten some advice. Funny how all the videos I have seen, they all take off clean or with just a little wheel spin . I wonder if I took it to the dealer for an inspection, if it is free? First year, it should be.

This is great advice for sure ..... but at the end of the day this is why we have warranties ...

Bring it to a dealer that has a good corvette guy ... may not be the one where you bought the car but try to find one

Under warranty the dealer wont charge you for any concern / problem you may have

Good luck !

Reactions: MKC8
This is great advice for sure ..... but at the end of the day this is why we have warranties ...

Bring it to a dealer that has a good corvette guy ... may not be the one where you bought the car but try to find one

Under warranty the dealer wont charge you for any concern / problem you may have

Good luck !
I will call tomorrow and thanks 😊.

• Clever
Reactions: Vettenut and MKC8