coladin

Casual User
May 17, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Corvette Z06 M7
Friend of mine a big Corvette guy and has one of the few in Ottawa. I have a ‘16, 7M.

Visually, you get the sense of the width but I find it hides the track better than the difference between the C7 models.

Fit and finish was very good, continuing and improving on the C7 and the test drive of the car , with the roof off was amazingly vibration and squeak free.

Obviously, for those who have been lucky to experience it, the cold startup is hilarious and no video will ever do it justice. Your neighbour better like cars!

Got comfortable pretty quickly but the driving position felt different on the bum. In the C7 , you feel more like you are sliding in, and the C8 felt more like sitting on…if you know what I mean.

Just driving around , it just feels so tractable and the ride, in track mode , was damn reasonable.

Power delivery is so linear and intense, it almost has an electric car feel to it, just power everywhere and race car symphony everywhere! It is unlike anything you would expect from the U.S., and having driven a 458 a few times, it was pretty unbelievable to see the similarities, but also the differences. Personally, I think the C8 sounds better everywhere else except the last 500-600 revs compared to the 458. Stunner of a car.

Then I get in my car, the dreaded feeling we all get when you test drive something then hop back into your car, and you suddenly hate it lol. That’s when you know that your mind is made up. Except it didn’t happen.

Not sure why, as my friend offered to sell the car to me. I got in, drove the same roads, the same way, and felt that while the C8 was light years in many regards compared to the C7 , in certain ways it misses some marks. Bias? Possibly. Actually definitely as one would expect. But the manual transmission is a major aspect that makes the previous generation special. Power delivery possibly a little more violent, definitely scarier, and the shriek at redline is still iconic in a C7 Z06. I wasn’t blown away by the C8 power, and I think that reaction was always going to be expected by anyone who has the previous gen Z06. Maybe , and this could be a backhanded compliment, the car is so freaking well engineered that a few quirks, even by accident , lol, would give the Z06 more personality. It is too perfect, synthetic even.

C8 Z06, to me , is worthy of all accolades, and is a bargain even at crazy markups. I think the car appeals more to Porsche, Ferrari , European owners, just as much to the die hard Corvette fans. It crossed over like Ford was able to do with their last two GTs. The C7 did not move the needle for the ultra rich as much as this car will. And that may be the highest compliment on how great the car is. Well done Chevrolet.

As for me and my C7 Z06, I will continue to try and find something that may entice me away…but I may need another taste of my friend’s C8 Z06 to wipe away some more bias!

IMG_6523.jpeg

But the manual transmission is a major aspect that makes the previous generation special.

It's a sequential manual transmission. When you are used to a 3rd pedal and the availability of selecting any gear you want, it is hard to get used to, but it is a manual transmission that can shift automatically. I also don't like the fact that it forces a downshift at low rpm's regardless that you are in manual mode.
The DCT is so intuitive and quick that even Ron Fellows left it in auto mode on the track. I have given up trying to use it in manual mode as I keep hitting the rev limiter.
If your friend gives you another drive try it in manual mode. Many like it. I have mixed feelings about it myself.

• Sad
Reactions: Rruuff Day
It's a sequential manual transmission. When you are used to a 3rd pedal and the availability of selecting any gear you want, it is hard to get used to, but it is a manual transmission that can shift automatically. I also don't like the fact that it forces a downshift at low rpm's regardless that you are in manual mode.
The DCT is so intuitive and quick that even Ron Fellows left it in auto mode on the track. I have given up trying to use it in manual mode as I keep hitting the rev limiter.
If your friend gives you another drive try it in manual mode. Many like it. I have mixed feelings about it myself.
I only drove it in manual mode. My Corvette is my 3rd car, so for me an automatic car is a non starter. I love the tranny for what it is, no complaints, but paddles will never replace the driving experience of a manual car. It’s just different. But a phenomenal transmission , the DCT

but paddles will never replace the driving experience of a manual car.
You mean a third pedal car! :p
I know what you mean, but it's not entirely different. I had a 485 HP Camaro 6 speed. When racing, or pretending to LOL, it can be just as much fun. On the street just driving around I agree with you 100%. Much more interaction with the car with a stick and third pedal.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
You mean a third pedal car! :p
I know what you mean, but it's not entirely different. I had a 485 HP Camaro 6 speed. When racing, or pretending to LOL, it can be just as much fun. On the street just driving around I agree with you 100%. Much more interaction with the car with a stick and third pedal.
Absolutely.

Options for me, in the future, if I want a manual transmission sports car are few. 911 GT3. Lotus Emira. That's about it.

I drove my friend's AMG GTR Pro Monday, and boy oh boy. That car is exciting and roughly worth the same as a brand new Z06. Tough choice there.

Absolutely.

Options for me, in the future, if I want a manual transmission sports car are few. 911 GT3. Lotus Emira. That's about it.

I drove my friend's AMG GTR Pro Monday, and boy oh boy. That car is exciting and roughly worth the same as a brand new Z06. Tough choice there.
You keep saying "Manual transmission". There are several variations of manual transmissions without a third pedal. Not to dwell on it, but you should change your verbage to "stick car". The DCT IS a manual transmission in every way. It's far more sophisticated than a single clutch transmission. Because it has 2 clutches it doesn't need a third pedal. Because it has paddles instead of a stick doesn't mean it's not a manual transmission. That's like saying a motorcycle doesn't have a manual transmission. Because a motorcycle has only one clutch it requires a lever to operate the clutch.
Yes there are limitations to both transmissions and one can be more entertaining to some and the other to others. It's a matter of taste. We agree that a stick and clutch pedal is more entertaining on the street, but both are "manual transmissions".

You keep saying "Manual transmission". There are several variations of manual transmissions without a third pedal. Not to dwell on it, but you should change your verbage to "stick car". The DCT IS a manual transmission in every way. It's far more sophisticated than a single clutch transmission. Because it has 2 clutches it doesn't need a third pedal. Because it has paddles instead of a stick doesn't mean it's not a manual transmission. That's like saying a motorcycle doesn't have a manual transmission. Because a motorcycle has only one clutch it requires a lever to operate the clutch.
Yes there are limitations to both transmissions and one can be more entertaining to some and the other to others. It's a matter of taste. We agree that a stick and clutch pedal is more entertaining on the street, but both are "manual transmissions".
In the grandest sense of the term manual transmission, I think it is more prevalent that this means a car with a third pedal. But yes, I get your point.

Driver engagement with a clutch is not the same as your analogy of a motorcycle. DCTs are great advancements as far as automatic-style driving with two pedals

In the grandest sense of the term manual transmission, I think it is more prevalent that this means a car with a third pedal. But yes, I get your point.

Driver engagement with a clutch is not the same as your analogy of a motorcycle. DCTs are great advancements as far as automatic-style driving with two pedals
You can't teach an old dog new tricks! ;)
The motorcycle analogy was referring to sequential shifting. A motorcycle can not pick a gear. It must cycle through the gears just like a DCT.
Just because one doesn't need to disengage / reengage the clutches by use of a third pedal / lever doesn't mean it is not a manual transmission.
Anyway, the point is a DCT can not be compared to hydraulic automatic transmission (AKA Slush box). It is a manual transmission that defaults to an automatically controlled manual transmission. If a stick transmission defaulted to be controlled by hydraulic or mechanical solenoids would it still be a manual transmission? It is entirely possible to do that, so what's the difference?
It's just a different way to control the transmission. One way is preferred by you and me, but we disagree on the terminology it seems.
Anyway, let's agree to disagree on the terminology. We both find it more pleasurable to disengage / reengage the clutch by ourselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
You can't teach an old dog new tricks! ;)
The motorcycle analogy was referring to sequential shifting. A motorcycle can not pick a gear. It must cycle through the gears just like a DCT.
Just because one doesn't need to disengage / reengage the clutches by use of a third pedal / lever doesn't mean it is not a manual transmission.
Anyway, the point is a DCT can not be compared to hydraulic automatic transmission (AKA Slush box). It is a manual transmission that defaults to an automatically controlled manual transmission. If a stick transmission defaulted to be controlled by hydraulic or mechanical solenoids would it still be a manual transmission? It is entirely possible to do that, so what's the difference?
It's just a different way to control the transmission. One way is preferred by you and me, but we disagree on the terminology it seems.
Anyway, let's agree to disagree on the terminology. We both find it more pleasurable to disengage / reengage the clutch by ourselves.
Ya ya , all good!

Just my 2 cents...... yes, I loved the feeling of driving my 328GTS with a true manual gated shift. However, I also enjoy the sound of the C8 as I work the gears using the paddles ...... completely different eras and different set up, but, they both deliver fun as you increase the rpms and engage the next gear.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.