I have just finished having a C8 Z06 at my disposal for four days. Put about 800 kms on it. Here are my impressions.
1) The power is INSANE! I have raced (both drag and road course) for most of my adult life. I have driven around Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) in a previous C5, in a Lamborghini with Scott Goodyear at the wheel, in a C8 Z06 with Ron Fellows at the wheel. (even in a Subaru Imprezza with James Hinchcliffe at the wheel) and numerous other cars. None of those experiences comes close to the C8 Z06. Insane is the only word I can think of to describe the power.

2) The sound, with the exhaust valves wide open, is incredible. It is a shreeeeeek. It screams. It wails!

3) In Z mode in its most extreme settings will not shift until at least 4000 rpm, even if you are babying the throttle. Driving around town never gets out of 2nd gear. Z Mode is way more extreme compared to the Stingray Z Mode.

4) You can really feel those intake runner valves when they open or make whatever adjustments they make for max torque and power. It throws you even further back into the seat.

5) I never did a standing start, full throttle launch. (It wasn't my car!!) All of my observations are from around town and normal highway driving. I did definitely get into it, and did get the pedal to the floor. It was akin to the feeling you get with full throttle action on a 4 cyl sport motorcycle.

6) The ride, with mag ride and on its mild or softest settings, is nice. Just as nice as the Stingray. But the handling and cornering is definitely way more competitive. It really sticks. Those 13 inch wide rear tires really grab the pavement, and turn in is amazing.

7) As for it being the driver that I want to have at my disposal on a regular basis, I will take my Z-51 Stringray. With the Z06 it is as if it, or you, is "on" all the time. It is a great race car but I was glad to get back into my Stingray. Even when the Z06 had all the settings turned down to their softest easiest quietest settings, the car still felt "on" all the time.

It was a thrilling four days for me. If I could afford two C8s, I'd have a Stingray and a Z06. And maybe whatever else is coming down the pipe. I loved the car, but for my regular fun car on the street, the Stingray is for me.

Last edited:
I had a ride in it and I can agree with everything even though I wasn't the driver. I'll still take my Stingray though. The sound of the flat plane crank would drive me crazy. The SR has enough power for me, for what I use the car for.

Thanks Thom for that fun review. I've yet to drive a C8 Z06...

But I've listened to several start up and then get revved up and it was definitely "music to my ears" and part of why I lust after a Z06. It takes me back to my early teen years, listening to my next door neighbour rev up his Camaro SS with its 454 modified big-block V-8. I think I'll love owning/driving one, but that's just me right now and perhaps you and Murray are both right: I'll tire of its "giddy-ip-and-go always-on attitude" and long for my days in the more sedate street-friendly C8 Stingray. I'll then be a living example of the old saying: "be careful what you wish for".

And then, perhaps I'll never get a C8 Z06 so I'll never know (sigh).

Reactions: Bunny hop and Nik
Awesome review..... was actually at Humberview today picking up a hood strut for one of my ' other ' cars :)

Was checking out the gray Z06 they had in the show room ... no doubt absolutely gorgeous i have never had the pleasure of driving one and im sure its everything you say it is

However ... did it do more for me just by staring at it than my own C8 ? .... absolutely not ...

Of course its wider and oh so pretty but the looks are not that far off of the stingray.

As for the exhaust note ... im pretty old school and I much prefer the sound of a heavily cammed out 396 or 427 to the high pitched screech of the flat plane crank

thats just me ... as for the performance sure it will blow away a stingray but i dont track my car and the stingray is even too much power for me

My fave part of the Z06 ? The cross flag logo on the hatch :p

Attachments

• emb1.jpg
    emb1.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 27
Nice review! I was watching a bunch of videos the other night from the bash and someone from GM said the same thing. He basically said that the Z06 was a race car and not really a street duty car (tires, suspension, etc). He said that the Eray was the performance car for the street (all weather tires, compliant suspension, all wheel drive, etc.).

I wonder if the Z06 will be too much for a number of buyers and they will want out and back into a SR or Eray? I guess time will tell...

• Agree
Reactions: MKinOntario
One thing I forgot to comment on... STARTUP!
On startup, be it cold or hot, regardless of what mode you are in... it is LOUD & RAUCOUS and idles at a much higher RPM for those cat warmup 30 seconds before settling down. My neighbour a few doors down never hears my Stingray on startup, and my startup is always loud. He heard the Z06 and wondered what was going on. In a public area it really turns heads when you fire it up.

Thanks for the objective reviews Thom. I have never been in neither cars but from what you said, I woud have guessed it to be as well.
Following a fpc Mustang in a few cars back earlier today, I would understand that it gets annoying after a little while especially on those rare occasions where you want some peace and quiet/quieter?
It is like having to listen to those obnoxious sportbikes and Harleys in a quiet neighborhood. :)
It is nice to hear the exhaust but just imagine going on long road trips?
Still a great car.

I have just finished having a C8 Z06 at my disposal for four days. Put about 800 kms on it. Here are my impressions.
1) The power is INSANE! I have raced (both drag and road course) for most of my adult life. I have driven around Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) in a previous C5, in a Lamborghini with Scott Goodyear at the wheel, in a C8 Z06 with Ron Fellows at the wheel. (even in a Subaru Imprezza with James Hinchcliffe at the wheel) and numerous other cars. None of those experiences comes close to the C8 Z06. Insane is the only word I can think of to describe the power.

2) The sound, with the exhaust valves wide open, is incredible. It is a shreeeeeek. It screams. It wails!

3) In Z mode in its most extreme settings will not shift until at least 4000 rpm, even if you are babying the throttle. Driving around town never gets out of 2nd gear. Z Mode is way more extreme compared to the Stingray Z Mode.

4) You can really feel those intake runner valves when they open or make whatever adjustments they make for max torque and power. It throws you even further back into the seat.

5) I never did a standing start, full throttle launch. (It wasn't my car!!) All of my observations are from around town and normal highway driving. I did definitely get into it, and did get the pedal to the floor. It was akin to the feeling you get with full throttle action on a 4 cyl sport motorcycle.

6) The ride, with mag ride and on its mild or softest settings, is nice. Just as nice as the Stingray. But the handling and cornering is definitely way more competitive. It really sticks. Those 13 inch wide rear tires really grab the pavement, and turn in is amazing.

7) As for it being the driver that I want to have at my disposal on a regular basis, I will take my Z-51 Stringray. With the Z06 it is as if it, or you, is "on" all the time. It is a great race car but I was glad to get back into my Stingray. Even when the Z06 had all the settings turned down to their softest easiest quietest settings, the car still felt "on" all the time.

It was a thrilling four days for me. If I could afford two C8s, I'd have a Stingray and a Z06. And maybe whatever else is coming down the pipe. I loved the car, but for my regular fun car on the street, the Stingray is for me.
Yes a wonderful track car, however, as a "driver" car, not so much... Give me my Ray with the extra 100 Hp I added and I am happy as a clam...

I experienced my friends Z06 when he threw me the keys. It's raw and way stiffer than expected. I tried Tour then Sport mode and although I think it's a cool car I don't feel it's a good street car. It's not as fast from a start as you'd expect and as mentioned previously it really needs the higher rpms to sing which would mean losing my license.

Amazing track car but I'm not sure I'd want that continual exhaust note on longer drives. I'm glad I was given the opportunity but it solidified my decision on an E-Ray.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.