Driver error seems a bit far fetched.
For decades, all hoods use a double latch system. (We yank the hood release in our vehicle, then push/pull manually the 2nd stage to open it) Why? Because if the 1st one fails, the 2nd one acts like an emergency latch, to keep it 'down' at speed.
So, even if the driver (or anyone) only partially closes a Frunk lid, the secondary latch "should" be there to save the day (and the "door ajar" light should be on).
Clearly, the electronics are beating GM at their own game atm.
The simple fact that you can drive off with your frunk open a mere inch, fully unlatched! with only a warning on the dash, (with or without 3 chimes every so often), is wrong! This never could have happen with the old system described above. In my opinion, this alone is poor engineering and needs to be fixed! In my wife's 2018 Equinox, the hood is either CLOSED, AJAR on the safety latch as described above, completely OPEN, or in your hand somewhere in between.

• Agree
Reactions: Gilles27 and Blu427
There is a pull wire to the left side of the brake pedal for the front hood.
Not that I can see. Where exactly is this manual pull switch? My photo here is what is in my pedal area.
IMG_4077.JPG

Here is a pic (it is under the material cover).
View attachment 42465
Not exactly well marked now is it. I will try to locate in my car. So this is the absolute failsafe if all power is out. Not that this is helping the situation given the reported issue some have had. Again, I have had no issues with my frunk and I feel it latches securely. I guess time will tell.

Not exactly well marked now is it. I will try to locate in my car. So this is the absolute failsafe if all power is out. Not that this is helping the situation given the reported issue some have had. Again, I have had no issues with my frunk and I feel it latches securely. I guess time will tell.
Fuse #18 (20 amp) behind the glove box can be pulled to disable the electronics for the frunk opener.
1596665282120.png

Fuse #18 (20 amp) behind the glove box can be pulled to disable the electronics for the frunk opener.
View attachment 42473

That should take care of any electronic malfunction from within the cars system. I'd feel better with some kind of a tether though. That way if it turns out to be a mechanical problem, (or anything else) the frunk is not flying up in my face causing damage.
I'll be bringing my SD card with me when I pick-up the car and running the PDR (with sound), on the way home, just in case.

• Agree
Reactions: ABC and Blu427
That should take care of any electronic malfunction from within the cars system. I'd feel better with some kind of a tether though. That way if it turns out to be a mechanical problem, (or anything else) the frunk is not flying up in my face causing damage.
I'll be bringing my SD card with me when I pick-up the car and running the PDR (with sound), on the way home, just in case.
Attach a camera on the rear window showing the dashboard to prove to GM that there is no warning displayed when the hood high fives the windshield.

For the few times I will use the frunk I will tether until there is no doubt that it
isn't an electronics issue.
The C8 has a totally new electronic platform that hasn't been proven.
There has to be a gremlin or two somewhere in it, hopefully it isn't the frunk.

Lots to report from 1st day of ownership, yes the car is all that and a bag of chips, DCT acts like a Jake brake will need to get used to that for sure but about the frunk mine has a lot of play at the hinge it seems. For the guys with C8's already when your frunk is closed fully if you press down on the hood how far does it go down. I will post a video mine has a lot of play.
thumbnail_20200805_201738.jpg

Lots to report from 1st day of ownership, yes the car is all that and a bag of chips, DCT acts like a Jake brake will need to get used to that for sure but about the frunk mine has a lot of play at the hinge it seems. For the guys with C8's already when your frunk is closed fully if you press down on the hood how far does it go down. I will post a video mine has a lot of play.View attachment 42493
I get no play in my frunk once it is closed. When I close it, I do it in two steps so that I hear the two clicks. It feels really solid to me. But I may go for that security strap also. No point in tempting fate. If there is an issue, I do not want to be on the receiving end of endless I told you so!s....Love that plate too. Congrats on the ride and totally agree. This car is a blast a minute. That transmission is a work of art. The shifting is sooo smooth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.