Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
Another hood flying up. This time on a Chevy dealer salesperson on his way to deliver a C8.

" I am reading this article because this happened to me yesterday at a speed under 30 miles per hour, without any warning signals until the front "frunk" lid was straight up in front of my face with only 3 miles on the car odometer. I was on the way to the customers house after fueling the vehicle for delivery. I was convinced one of the lot kids didn’t shut it all the way, but pics taken minutes before I drove it to get fuel for the customer show the lid shut flush. It did not pop open on me on the way to the gas station, but pulling out after fueling. I had both key fobs in the cupholder as well, so it wasn’t accidentally “double clicked” to open. The only item in the front truck was the window sticker. I had to remove the hood 1 mile from the dealership to drive it back and then got hinges overnight from Cincy to get the vehicle delivered this morning. The customer knows about it and when I drove the car to his house this morning I didn’t want to drive over 20 mph and I didn’t have to as the customer lives in a subdivision behind the dealership. There was not a warning for open hood until it was fully up in front of my face and I was able to see under it until parked safely off the roadway. 32 years of selling Chevy’s at my store so I am not entirely an idiot…lol "

Several good ideas on Mid
1596382916251.png

Forget the chain why not just use a tie band(zip tie)?
The force of winds at even 30 mph could easily rip a zip ties lock. Even the ones they use to handcuff people can be broken with the right techniques.
The little tooth/lever is not that strong. Plus the idea is to be able to open it easily. One could use plastic coated metal Clothes line though

If you use a quality zip tie even a gale force wind will never break it. I have worked with zip ties for 15 yrs now as we use them for locking out equipment replacing the chain that we used before.

If you use a quality zip tie even a gale force wind will never break it. I have worked with zip ties for 15 yrs now as we use them for locking out equipment replacing the chain that we used before.
Beg to differ. I'm also used them for years and the right torque breaks the little tab. I wouldn't trust it, but to each his own.

Guys, when it comes to cable ties, quality and size matters. I have used them for 30+ years in the offshore. Small ones (<6") can break quite easily but some of the really big ones we use (24") don't break as easy and are even hard to cut. The quality smaller ones have a metal tab in them to lock and these locking tabs don't break as easy; the tie will break first.

But TBH, spend 100 grand on a toy and you have to put cable ties on it to hold it together. And then it turns into a large discussion about cable ties, seriously???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.