Here is the issue, we cannot solve problems by not knowing what to say, by feeling, ,by what you think or thought, by guess or by gosh. To solve a problem you have to know. GM knows they just don't want to act.
I think first you have to prove there is a problem other than operator error. I go by the numbers. So unless there are cases of 100's of spontaneous hood openings on a shipped base of 6,000 cars, I will wait for more evidence to be revealed. Given what is riding on the success of the new C8 for GM, I doubt they would be sitting on their hands over a known flaw in hood latch. Again, early days, will need to see more on this issue as more cars are delivered. If they are working on it, I am sure we will here in the recall notices eventually. I won't be installing any secondary strap at this point.

Reactions: 12cents
I'm sure it could be operator error but has anyone ever heard of hoods flying open before seems fishy, my problem with this is the consequences are very serious till I'm convinced my latch is good I'm going with a secondary system can't imagine this happening on the backstretch at Calabogie with no insurance

Reactions: ABC
I'm sure it could be operator error but has anyone ever heard of hoods flying open before seems fishy, my problem with this is the consequences are very serious till I'm convinced my latch is good I'm going with a secondary system can't imagine this happening on the backstretch at Calabogie with no insurance
So I agree that there are questions here. You need to have your car and see for yourself. There are two latch positions. You can hear the first click and then the second click when the hood then goes flush. The hood if latched on the first click only does sit a little high but would not be easily identifiable at a glance. I think we all have to do what we are each comfortable with. I agree that it a safety issue if proven to be a random point of failure.

There are several PDR videos out there now. One you can hear a click just before the hood flies up. This is supposed to be impossible. No key or button works with the car in motion.
So maybe a wiring issue? faulty electric release actuator? I have not been following how many cases now. What is several? three? four? I am sure GM is allocating resources to look into this issue as with the other issues of long bolts. etc. My car has no clearance issue at door hinges. I guess I will do more homework on the frunk.

3 that I know of.
So three cases over 6,000 plus cars? Again I am not saying operator error. But may still fall in the category of part failure not failure of design. Bad parts can and will make it to assembly line. These things happen. I am sure that GM is monitoring the feedback and concern from all of the sites online so they have to be investigating. They seem to work closely with those that are blowing up engines and transmissions from over modification. Surely the latch warrants their attention too.

Reactions: 12cents
So three cases over 6,000 plus cars? Again I am not saying operator error. But may still fall in the category of part failure not failure of design. Bad parts can and will make it to assembly line. These things happen. I am sure that GM is monitoring the feedback and concern from all of the sites online so they have to be investigating. They seem to work closely with those that are blowing up engines and transmissions from over modification. Surely the latch warrants their attention too.
No, 3 videos. There are 10 known cases. Those 10 were reported to forums. How many weren't reported to forums, but just the dealers?

No, 3 videos. There are 10 known cases. Those 10 were reported to forums. How many weren't reported to forums, but just the dealers?
Yes, the most compelling video being the one where the dealer was taking car for gas fill 3 blocks from dealership.
As Murray stated earlier dealership camera shows frunk properly closed before run to gas station.

Driver error seems a bit far fetched.
For decades, all hoods use a double latch system. (We yank the hood release in our vehicle, then push/pull manually the 2nd stage to open it) Why? Because if the 1st one fails, the 2nd one acts like an emergency latch, to keep it 'down' at speed.
So, even if the driver (or anyone) only partially closes a Frunk lid, the secondary latch "should" be there to save the day (and the "door ajar" light should be on).
Clearly, the electronics are beating GM at their own game atm.

Driver error seems a bit far fetched.
For decades, all hoods use a double latch system. (We yank the hood release in our vehicle, then push/pull manually the 2nd stage to open it) Why? Because if the 1st one fails, the 2nd one acts like an emergency latch, to keep it 'down' at speed.
So, even if the driver (or anyone) only partially closes a Frunk lid, the secondary latch "should" be there to save the day (and the "door ajar" light should be on).
Clearly, the electronics are beating GM at their own game atm.
When using the term Driver error, I am using it broadly such as, is there things in the frunk that shifted to hit the emergency release button? or was the door button pushed inadvertently and warnings were missed on screen? I have not had any issues with my frunk. More and more it may point to parts failure. Intermittent issues are the most difficult to diagnose as any investigation to root cause will try to replicate the event and we are not hearing about this from the 10 reported cases. I would like to see more information from those car owners as to what was the outcome at their dealer. Did they install new latches?, switches? or do nothing. You are right that by going fully electric, we no longer have a mechanical wire pull failsafe. But this should be doable.

false. GM does not work closely with anybody, ever

And the DCT partnership?

I am talking about the key fiasco where it turned the vehicle off

Bent wheels on the grant sport and z06

want another couple of dozen examples

oh maybe the automatic shudder problem

could go on all day and the local dealership is never any help

heck they can’t even do a proper 4 wheel alignment as 90% don’t have the proper rear end tool

more want more. just kidding

but really gm does not support the owner in their premier vehicle and others

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.