That'll be fun!

Riley, the easiest seat swap into a C3 are seats out of a Fiero. Quite a common swap and there are companies selling kits on the web.

I think the seats would fit but they are cloth and worn out. I'll keep looking for something. I don't care though. Got a really good deal on the car so if I can part anything off of it I will be happy. Need to plan an engine dropping party though!

T

Half shafts are in there new home. nice new u joints. Turns out when the bearing gets stuck on a burr you missed cleaning out they break. Who knew? Anyway trip to the store fixed that.

Don't know why the last one is so blurry but oh well. Really need that bearing tool now. Guess I better just suck it up and buy one.

T

I think that bearing should be ok. A little Mighty Putty and you'd be fine! :rofl:

If you have to get a bearing tool, I bet it should be pretty easy to sell to get your money back.

The frame is looking better every weekend!

Decided to try doing the bearings without the tool. Involves removing the bearings from the spindle (without damage obviously). Did the first side using the shim that came out. Worked out beautiful with 0.001" end play. Pulled bearing and greased er up for install.

I also checked the end play with the dial on the nut end of the spindle for a check. Sorry no pic.

I then proceeded with the other side. There was no shim when I disassembled so I bought a shim kit to do this side. Put in the thickest shim and checked. 0.014" end play.

Disassemble and go down two shims. Settled on 0.003" end play.

Did a rough run out check here as well. Looks good but will check again with rotor on. Grease er all up and assemble.

And on to the car!

Still waiting for e-brake kit from CC. They said it would ship on the 15th but that didn't happen. Now they can't give me a expected delivery. I will give them a bit longer though before I look elsewhere, but I do actually need it now.

Will be cleaning up rotors and calipers next. Then I guess I need and engine a tranny to mock up the crossmember.

Maybe it will be a rolling chassis for spring (with an engine :D)

:canada:

T

Awesome work Taylor! I have an LS1 for mock up......but it's still in my car. :D

However, it looks like you have one as well now! :D:D

Let me know when you want to start the disassemble of the Camaro!

Nice going Taylor -- Great to watch the progress.
icon14.gif

C.

Well christmas came early.....sort of. I was planning to remove the engine from the camaro at christmas, BUT my wife decided to take the kids a visit her parents so with some time to myself I decided why not now. Did it last night. Total 6 hr which includes putting the front under frame back on the car so it can be rolled around. Easily could have saved an hour if I had a nice two post lift but hey. Definitely gave my crane a good test. Anyone have a guess what the front wheel load of a 1998 camaro would be (engine in)? Anyway....to the interesting part.

Now to strip the harnesses for some mockup. Then to some friends for a look over.

T

Thought about it. My dad want the TH400 for his Camaro (67). I might hold on tho the 350 for a boat upgrade one day. Unless someone offers me some money then I will sell it. I will make more money off the camaro by parting it out I think.

T

Probably not. The body and interior are getting a full makeover as well.

I stripped the wiring and dash out of the camaro. No pics. Sorry. But I at least had some help, well....company:

Got the Camaro cleaned up and the floor swept. Then threw the old wheels on the chassis to be able to move it under the crane. It is amazing how much more finished the chassis looks with wheels on. They need to come off again to do brakes. Trying to figure out the best position for the engine. The A/C compressor had to come off due to upper a-arm clearance. Will be mounting it high passenger side. The water pump will need some port work too. I have trimmed off the hose barbs for fitting.

Will have to drill them out and tap them for fittings. Set the engine in roughly the right place.

The last pic has the engine up hanging on the crane not in place. There is very little room to the steering box. Might need some messaging or abandon the headers.

The engine looks like it will sit about 1/2" higher. and as placed for the pics 1-1/4" further forward (measured to the bell housing mount face) than the stock 350 spot. I am thinking I will mount the engine so it ends up only 1/2" further forward. Better weigh distribution and still has clearance to firewall. Need to do more measuring before I am satisfied though. I will be making my own adapter mounts so I can do whatever I want.

The internet is full of contradictions though. many adapter plates say they put the LS in the stock location by using the bottom front LS mount hole as a common hole with the SBC single bottom hole. From my measurments this buts the engine 1-1/4" forward (measured to bell housing mount flange). Again need to do more measuring to make myself happy.

any progress is good progress!

T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.