Well found some time again. Managed to stop by my old professor's house to borrow a trans. crossmember to mock up my frame with. He is just finishing restoring a 73 as well. And he even live between me and the city so it isn't out of the way at all!

Got the old crossmember cut out:

I manufactured some threaded insert plates to weld into my frame. Not my idea I have seen this done at least once before.

Cut hole for the inserts:

Tack into place and fit cross member:

Weld and grind pretty:

Bolt in crossmember to build top mounts. The frame sprung a bit on my from cutting out the old crossmember and welding so it ended up being a little wider than stock (1/8"- 3/16"). To fit the crossmember I had to pull the side rails in. Notice I purposely left some of the old welded section of the original crossmember. It will look good at the end.

Bend up a piece and fit it in. Weld and grind beautiful!

And now I can build my custom cross member to hold my yet to be determined transmission.

Getting close to blast and paint!

Hopefully the weather continues to get nicer.

T

That is a lot of work. How many hours did it take ?

Have about 6 hrs into the crosmember project right now. Still needs a bit of clean up.

so will the c/m mount clamshell style to the frame rails ? that is a nice fab. table you have there taylor.

It mounts in just like the stock frames with removable crossmembers. The bench is from a machine shop who didn't want it any more 4' x 16' x1/4" top and roller bearing drawers. Just added the jib crane this month. Works great. I love having a bench that a car frame can fit on!!

Thanks everyone. Now that the weather is getting nicer I find I want to work on it more and more.

T

Well long time no post. Been a busy summer, damn acreage life. Chassis is ready to be prepped for paint and some of the small parts have been blasted. Just ordered the POR15 and cleaners to do the painting. Hopefully within this month I will find the time. Riley if you reading (which you are) I may requisition your help with painting one day. Hope to order parts next corvette central free shipping event and then assemble the chassis over the fall (and likely winter).

I have a line on a 383 stroker for a good price. It is completely dissembled which makes it a bit cheaper too. Don't have the money right now but he is my dad's mechanic so he will probably hold it for me.

Anyway no pics right now and sorry this summer has been uneventful for corvette restoration.

T

Great to hear from you T -- I'm sure there are many who are following this and love to see and hear your progress......

Thanks for taking the time to share with us and g/l with the "acreage" ....

If your season has been as good as here in southern ON....then it's going well this year for a change.

Colin.

Well not painting yet but on my way. Chassis is blasted as well as some parts. Any parts with detailed or machined surfaces I opted to wire wheel myself. When I got the chassis back into the shop I noticed a few more fixes to be done. Nothing to major mostly small holes. I did however decide to redo the pass. side dog leg cap thingy. After blast it had plenty of holes and the welds were poor. So cut it off and manufactured a new one. Sorry didn't get a before pic this time.

Before Wire Wheel:

Some parts after wire wheel:

It's funny how often I think to myself (while wire wheeling) how good all these parts would look just clear coated not painted. Then I do a mini debate convincing myself that clear would show all my hard work. Then I realize I am just arguing with myself and I know I will paint them anyway.

Anyone else ever thought like this?

any way... getting closer to painting. Need more hours in the day.

T

beautiful job taylor....very professional looking. from what i can see all the bolt-on's appear to be in good shape. i don't think the clear coat would last like the por 15, do you ? a little anti-seize on the sombrero's will make any future removal of the rear c/m a bit easier. looks great brother !!! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.