It does apply to vehicles manufactured after 2018 so this hits all C8s. There are a numbers of exceptions as noted under the subject vehicle definition. And from what I can gather it applies any time the ownership is transferred or imported for a qualifying vehicle after Sept 01, 2022.
So an older C7 could be less to register than a newer one. Go figure.:confused:

I don't believe the tax applies to used vehicles.

From the government website:

Tax not payable — previously registered vehicle
(2) The tax under section 18 in respect of a subject vehicle sold by a vendor to a purchaser is not payable if the subject vehicle has been registered with the Government of Canada or a province except if
(a) the subject vehicle was registered only because of the sale and has never otherwise been registered with the Government of Canada or a province; or
(b) the vendor
(i) is Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province, an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province or an indigenous governing body,
(ii) imported the subject vehicle, and
(iii) did not pay tax under section 20 in respect of the importation of the subject vehicle.

Tax not payable — previously registered vehicles
(2) The tax under section 20 in respect of a subject vehicle that is imported is not payable if the subject vehicle has been registered with the Government of Canada or a province before the importation unless
(a) the registration was done in connection with the importation; and
(b) the subject vehicle has never otherwise been registered with the Government of Canada or a province.

Reactions: Zedder
Are you sure? I thought the wording was all cars manufactured after 2018.

I found the 2 news releases put out by our government, about this new "luxury tax" on autos, planes and boats:

1. First "backgrounder" came out August 10, 2021:

This tells us that for automobiles manufactured after 2018 and sold for over $100,000.00, the tax would apply UNLESS those automobiles had previously been registered in Canada. So my take on this: if you import a used vehicle into Canada that's been manufactured in 2019 or afterwards, and it's never been registered before in Canada, then the tax is payable by the end purchaser, when it sells for over $100,000.00. Plus of course the tax applies to any new vehicles sold for over $100,000.00;

2. Second/last one dated March 21, 2022:

This second release modifies a few things in the first release and specifically: "relief is proposed to be provided to after-sale improvements that are made to vehicles, aircraft or vessels purchased below the relevant price threshold". So my understanding is that anyone buying a vehicle for less than $100,000.00 but then modifying or adding extras onto the vehicle, which then push the final sale price over the $100,000.00 mark, may not have to pay the luxury tax.

All of this has yet to be finalized. The latest release tells us it's a draft and the government is looking for input. It suggests all of this might come into effect September 1/22. Of course, all of this is subject to change. Stay tuned...

That is why, I cancelled mag ride. Going on 27 month wait. Enough!
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
"You can't miss what you don't got"

Even though it conflicts with another famous person's quote
"You miss 100% of the mag ride you don't take" ;)