Dec 3, 2014
Meadow Lake/Lions Bay
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z06/07 & NSX
I've been pondering my next car purchase, as I always do.......... And I've really started to lean heavily towards McLaren. For a while I was pretty set on a Lamborghini Murcielago, but judgement got the better of me. Purchasing a 10+ year old Lamborghini V12 with a single clutch paddle shift that requires an engine out for that service alone is probably not the wisest move given I'm not a billionaire and money still has meaning for me :).

I'm a huge Ferrari fan. I PVR all F1 events (practice, qualifying, pre-qualifying, grid walk, race.....etc.) But, there's no question after my research, and my brother's terrible experience with his 360 a few years ago, that I simply wouldn't be able to tolerate the lack of reliability Ferrari brings to the table, or the fear I would have every time I mash the go pedal down. The 458 is still priced a little out of my budget, and I fear the reliability issues with it, regardless of it's age, mileage, etc.

The Lamborghini Huracan is supposed to be an amazing machine, but again, it's still a little steep in the price department.

That brings me to the McLaren. Although they experienced reliability issues with the first year of the MP4-12C (2012), they seemed to have picked up their game since then, and from all accounts things really improved in 2013. It's a beautiful car with just under 600hp, spyder, active aero, and the Volcano Orange really does it for me. The Mantis Green of the 650S and the Sky Blue of the 540C, as well as the Ventura Orange of the 570S are all right up my ally. Clearly I'm huge on colour, which in my mind is absolutely crucial. I have to enjoy looking at the car a lot. I mean a lot!!!! When you are shelling out the kind of money these cars demand, if looking at the car doesn't make you weak in the knees, then you've chosen the wrong car. I love my Torch Red Z06 ;)

Anyway, moving on...... I have also found out that McLaren offers factory backed extended warranties on all their cars for 12 years after the 3 year warranty runs out at a cost of about $6500 per year in Canada (or $12,000 for two years as per T.O. McLaren). I also understand that their maintenance program runs about $3000 per year and covers everything you need done. So, for about $9000 - $10,000 per year, you can drive the crap out of the car for the next decade and never worry about that $15K repair bill that is pretty much inevitable with a Ferrari.......... I believe they are the only company that does this, and it's huge in terms of my willingness to lay down a load of cash on a used supercar.

McLaren prices have also taken a serious hit due to mistakes they've made (growing pains) in these first few years. The name of the MP4-12C which has been described as an off brand DVD player or FAX machine was just the beginning. Then, they suffered reliability issues, and decided it would be wise to bring out a new model car about every six months with the exact same 3.8 twin turbo power plant, which looks pretty much exactly the same as the previous model: MP4-12C---->650S----->675LT------570S---->570GT------>540C--------600LT............ I'm leaving out the Senna...... So rather than using names like Murcielago, Aventador, Italia, Modena, Huracan.........they came up with a this????? I've noticed that a good MP4-12C can be picked up for in the $170K Canadian price range now, and I expect that a little haggling and a little more depreciation will result in something around $150K by next summer. That's a big deal for you guys out in B.C..............cough.....cough..........26% TAX!!!!

So, this brings me to my question, and the topic of the thread. With prices on used "exotics" dropping, and incentives such as a factory backed warranty, which is basically an insurance policy to cover the exorbitant repair costs these cars are capable of incurring, will the C8 Corvette be "exotic enough" or "exclusive enough" or "fast enough" to compete with Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, for our dollars? If you have $150K-$180K you are willing to spend on a sports car (less trade in etc.), will you give your hard earned cash to GM for an undoubtedly reliable, easy to maintain, new, fast, perhaps even somewhat practical, high volume Corvette? Or, will you buy something from Europe/UK that's beautiful, exclusive, less practical, will cost more money to operate/maintain, but will feel........."special"? And, do they offer it in "your colour"? LOL....................

Will GM be able to pull $$$ away from those manufacturers? Are Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc. concerned about a right hand drive C8 hitting their shores? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Depends on whether having an exclusive (limited production car) is important to an owner. To me, I do not care if my car is the only one near me, or as now with my having five friends with gorgeous, super capable C7’s pretty close to me (and who knows how many other C7’s are in my area). All I personally care about is owning a car I personally love — both to look at and to drive!

As to the second part of the question, if the 2020+ Corvette is a screaming bargain (which it will be), is gorgeous (which it will be once the second master-of-disguise current second layer of camo is removed), many of those who own exotics such as Ferraris, are concerned that each mile they put on their car, reduces its value. So therefore, the 2020+ Corvette ME will attract, and will become a daily driver for some exotic car owners. Will they gave up their Ferraris or Lambos for one? Highly unlikely. However, will some also own a 2020 ME, their first Corvette ever? We know this because...

I know a major dealer of Corvette in the U.S. who is already getting folks who have never owned a Corvette before, who for example have owned, or own several Porsches and similar, who have placed a deposit to get on to his 2020 ME pre-ordering list.

Well just by judging the paint alone from this up close experience,
it’s extremely hard for me to refuse the ... it'll take silly money tho
to ever buying something like this ... awesome paint :thumbs:
B908564F-79B8-4831-A256-DD0ACB0E08D3.jpeg06332B47-3BA4-4657-AD52-D69C56670223.jpeg
... and maybe better just to keep my C7 and my C-Gen friends too ...

Last edited:
Depends on whether having an exclusive (limited production car) is important to an owner. To me, I do not care if my car is the only one near me, or as now with my having five friends with gorgeous, super capable C7’s pretty close to me (and who knows how many other C7’s are in my area). All I personally care about is owning a car I personally love — both to look at and to drive!

As to the second part of the question, if the 2020+ Corvette is a screaming bargain (which it will be), is gorgeous (which it will be once the second master-of-disguise current second layer of camo is removed), many of those who own exotics such as Ferraris, are concerned that each mile they put on their car, reduces its value. So therefore, the 2020+ Corvette ME will attract, and will become a daily driver for some exotic car owners. Will they gave up their Ferraris or Lambos for one? Highly unlikely. However, will some also own a 2020 ME, their first Corvette ever? We know this because...

I know a major dealer of Corvette in the U.S. who is already getting folks who have never owned a Corvette before, who for example have owned, or own several Porsches and similar, who have placed a deposit to get on to his 2020 ME pre-ordering list.

Good points. Depreciation on cars like McLaren, Porsche, etc. is ridiulous. It's like throwing a huge stone into a pond and watching it sink. The MP4-12C was a $300+ car........... Even Corvettes don't depreciate at that rate.............

• Informative
Reactions: Cruzin and YFCvii
Exotics are beautiful and you have brought up many good points regarding maintenance, mileage and depreciation. IMHO and what I have experienced from owning my Corvette is the "family" of like minded individuals I have met. Be hard to find others with Ferrari's or Lambo's in my area that want to cruise as much as this group does!

Well yes, and well no. Will the 2020+ ME ever offer total, unlimited, custom exterior colors, interior hides made of literally the best leather in the world, or have the best fit and finish (such as a McLaren), absolutely not. However, will be able to be parked at a Yacht Club’s Annual Regatta and fit in perfectly as to its looks, and run with the entry versions of the $200,000 competitors on the track, definitely.

Just do not expect the entry 500 HP, 2020 version to be able to run with a $400,000 competitor, but by 2022 the Corvette Zora will have all of them in the rear view mirror. We just need a little patience to get to 2022 if we are going to take on the $400,000 Pista, the $440,000 Aventadore S and similar.

Great points being brought up. A Corvette for $60-$100K doesn’t have a ton of competition and always seems to come with the tag line of “for the money”. But, when GM pushes up the price of a “Chevy” to $150-$200K, this puts it in a league with a lot of other cars and the “for the money” can no longer apply.
This is a league that I will not be able to be a part of, but as a follower of the brand, I hope the Corvette can wow the world and I enjoy reading the thoughts and opinions of those that are able to contemplate these decisions.

My jury is out on this Riley. Maybe it's just because it's American made but even at 200k, what competes? ... The 488 GTB or the Huracan maybe but you have to add another 50k for either of those. Yeah. You can pick up a 911 GT3 RS for that but honestly now... Does the Porsche compete in the curb appeal with the C8? .... Not even close IMHO. :p

Porsches, albeit extremely capable in their latest iterations, do absolutely nothing for me. As Jeremy Clarkson used to say, "its a Beetle". Now, of course he was being a little "cheeky", but the fact remains that the body style is rather, "unimaginative" and hasn't evolved, unlike the Corvette from Generation 1 to Generation 7, with each one being very unique and different, but often sharing some of the same styling cues from previous generations.

As Riley P said, when the Corvette starts to get into the $150K-$200K region, the argument "for the money" goes out the window, which was exactly my point for this thread. Quite honestly, the Corvette is already in this territory with my Z06 coming in at $140K (taxes in) and the ZR1 asking price at a minimum of $159K (not including taxes). Still, the power numbers, the practicality, and the reliability, place it, in my mind, above the European competition. But, with the new generation C8, will the power numbers be there? As Zora says, not till the 2022 model, so two years after the initial C8 model is released, which I think is a pretty realistic prediction. Practicality will almost certainly be compromised, despite Zora's assertions. In my mind there is absolutely no way the Corvette team can make the C8 as practical as the C7. And lastly, the first generation of any car tends to have some "growing pains", so reliability etc. might not be there right away. When you take all of these things into consideration, and the fact that I honestly can't see the C8 selling for under $100K in Canada in base model trim, and probably somewhere closer to $200K+ in Z06/ZR1 trim, it will be interesting to see how it fares against the competition.

Reactions: Riley P
I would just like to say that I really had to push my budget to get my 2019 Z51 convertible. I know I could have got a Grand Sport for a few dollars more but I have to repeat that my budget was at the limit. I was looking at used C7s to replace my C6 but eventually I pushed my budget to get the 2019. If I had a bigger budget I would have gone for a Z06, even though I know that I would never take it on the track and that I would never even get close to driving anywhere near its limits. I was on the Fall Colours run a couple of weeks ago and there were some of the best roads for going fast that I have ever been on.
I wasn't the fastest guy on that run but that wasn't because my car wouldn't go that fast. There was a Z1 , and many Z06s and Grand Sports but on any of those roads I could have kept up to all of them if I was willing to risk my license. My point is that unless you are taking the car to the track, anything beyond the basic Stingray is just for show (if I could afford it I would be all in) so to be comparing the performance of the C8 to a Ferrari or the like is pointless. The looks of the car and the prestige that comes with such cars, however, is another matter. Going back to the Fall Colours run it was interesting to see how many people were having just as much fun in C4s and C5s. I hope that the C7 will continue to be produced with the C8, because unless GM is able to make a base C8 for under $100K , it will be way out of reach for most.

Like you said, "unless you are taking the car to the track".... With that in mind, the Stingray is also overpowered for street use... But it is nice to have that feel under your a$$... I remember back a while ago (ok... a long time ago), when I thought I would never need a car with power windows or AC.... Now I can't live without heated seats and steering wheel.... Toys for boys (and girls)....

I agree with your thoughts on this subject. I do believe that ferrari offers free maintenance now on new purchases - not sure about slightly used that one buys from a dealer - they had to do something. I love the 458 spyder and would buy one if I had a ton of money. I think the new C8 will be a big winner and if things go right, I will be ordering one. My issue is I don't drive a lot - far removed from either club and my wife thinks I / we should die rich - LOL I'd love to get involved more with a corvette club to be sure - cruises etc.

I've been pondering my next car purchase, as I always do.......... And I've really started to lean heavily towards McLaren. For a while I was pretty set on a Lamborghini Murcielago, but judgement got the better of me. Purchasing a 10+ year old Lamborghini V12 with a single clutch paddle shift that requires an engine out for that service alone is probably not the wisest move given I'm not a billionaire and money still has meaning for me :).

I'm a huge Ferrari fan. I PVR all F1 events (practice, qualifying, pre-qualifying, grid walk, race.....etc.) But, there's no question after my research, and my brother's terrible experience with his 360 a few years ago, that I simply wouldn't be able to tolerate the lack of reliability Ferrari brings to the table, or the fear I would have every time I mash the go pedal down. The 458 is still priced a little out of my budget, and I fear the reliability issues with it, regardless of it's age, mileage, etc.

The Lamborghini Huracan is supposed to be an amazing machine, but again, it's still a little steep in the price department.

That brings me to the McLaren. Although they experienced reliability issues with the first year of the MP4-12C (2012), they seemed to have picked up their game since then, and from all accounts things really improved in 2013. It's a beautiful car with just under 600hp, spyder, active aero, and the Volcano Orange really does it for me. The Mantis Green of the 650S and the Sky Blue of the 540C, as well as the Ventura Orange of the 570S are all right up my ally. Clearly I'm huge on colour, which in my mind is absolutely crucial. I have to enjoy looking at the car a lot. I mean a lot!!!! When you are shelling out the kind of money these cars demand, if looking at the car doesn't make you weak in the knees, then you've chosen the wrong car. I love my Torch Red Z06 ;)

Anyway, moving on...... I have also found out that McLaren offers factory backed extended warranties on all their cars for 12 years after the 3 year warranty runs out at a cost of about $6500 per year in Canada (or $12,000 for two years as per T.O. McLaren). I also understand that their maintenance program runs about $3000 per year and covers everything you need done. So, for about $9000 - $10,000 per year, you can drive the crap out of the car for the next decade and never worry about that $15K repair bill that is pretty much inevitable with a Ferrari.......... I believe they are the only company that does this, and it's huge in terms of my willingness to lay down a load of cash on a used supercar.

McLaren prices have also taken a serious hit due to mistakes they've made (growing pains) in these first few years. The name of the MP4-12C which has been described as an off brand DVD player or FAX machine was just the beginning. Then, they suffered reliability issues, and decided it would be wise to bring out a new model car about every six months with the exact same 3.8 twin turbo power plant, which looks pretty much exactly the same as the previous model: MP4-12C---->650S----->675LT------570S---->570GT------>540C--------600LT............ I'm leaving out the Senna...... So rather than using names like Murcielago, Aventador, Italia, Modena, Huracan.........they came up with a this????? I've noticed that a good MP4-12C can be picked up for in the $170K Canadian price range now, and I expect that a little haggling and a little more depreciation will result in something around $150K by next summer. That's a big deal for you guys out in B.C..............cough.....cough..........26% TAX!!!!

So, this brings me to my question, and the topic of the thread. With prices on used "exotics" dropping, and incentives such as a factory backed warranty, which is basically an insurance policy to cover the exorbitant repair costs these cars are capable of incurring, will the C8 Corvette be "exotic enough" or "exclusive enough" or "fast enough" to compete with Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, for our dollars? If you have $150K-$180K you are willing to spend on a sports car (less trade in etc.), will you give your hard earned cash to GM for an undoubtedly reliable, easy to maintain, new, fast, perhaps even somewhat practical, high volume Corvette? Or, will you buy something from Europe/UK that's beautiful, exclusive, less practical, will cost more money to operate/maintain, but will feel........."special"? And, do they offer it in "your colour"? LOL....................

Will GM be able to pull $$$ away from those manufacturers? Are Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc. concerned about a right hand drive C8 hitting their shores? Thoughts?
Another car that will out next year I believe: Mustang GT500 - will have a lot of the GT features: AT transmission, suspension and engine - will be a beast with awesome handling with some great colors - maybe eh worth checking out? Google it and see for yourself. To me, reliability and reasonable service costs are important - can't beat a good USA designed V8 engine.:Party:

GT500

Reactions: ddgermann
There are many great sports cars currently out there, and the 2019 Shelby GT500 will be interesting to some. I admire great other cars, but I have been, since I got a ride while in high school in a three week old, 1963, Sebring Silver, split window, factory 4 speed, factory air, been and will be a Corvette person.

I have good friends with Audi R8 V10’s, and similar, and kudos to them.

I will stick with Corvettes. Have had a deposit down on a 2020 mid engine Corvette for literally over 3 1/2 years.

To each, their own.

There are many great sports cars currently out there, and the 2019 Shelby GT500 will be interesting to some. I admire great other cars, but I have been, since I got a ride while in high school in a three week old, 1963, Sebring Silver, split window, factory 4 speed, factory air, been and will be a Corvette person.

I have good friends with Audi R8 V10’s, and similar, and kudos to them.

I will stick with Corvettes. Have had a deposit down on a 2020 mid engine Corvette for literally over 3 1/2 years.

To each, their own.
Hey, just saying it will be an awesome car. When I was young there were two cars I always wanted: corvette and a mustang - 428 Cobra. Well, I am on my 4th corvette and I bought a new 07 Shelby GT500 vert that I had modified with shelby suspension, light bar and Mac exhaust system - drove for 6 years and had a blast. Now, back to my corvette which I absolutely love. So, as an adult I was able to own both cars I admired as a youngster. Every time I go for a drive in my C7 I can't believe how well it handles going into a tight curve and leaving as I hit the accelerator - man what a rush!!!

All the pros and cons comparing the C8 to the exotics sounded very good. I also believe the C8 will be a big hit for those that can afford the over $100,000 price tag. I know I can't, afford to spend that much. I will be more than satisfied purchasing a 2019 Stingray, as it has everything I require in a car for daily driving. To me enjoying the car and the people who are like minded doing tours takes first prize to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.