I'm New Here
Aug 18, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2014 C7 Z51 3LT
Province
ON
Hey everyone,

I received my 2024 2LT HTC stingray about 2 weeks ago and have been loving the car overall. Only issues i've been noticing all seem to be tied to the new infotainment system. From what I understand the 2024 C8's are basically completely google/android based and dependent on google services, particularly through the onboard data connection. Every 5 days or so it seems like the system soft crashes. The first sign of this is that my speed limit indicator in the HUD/Gauge cluster will disappear, then I'll try to use the built in nav (which is now google maps) and no internet dependent functions will work (despite showing full LTE connectivity) ie looking for "nearby locations" etc. Anything data dependent works fine through carplay as that's going through my phone but not through the native OS/built in apps. I switched from android to iOS nearly 10 years ago for these exact same types of reliability issues so it's kind of funny to see they still exist.

Unfortunately it seems like there's more than just navigation that goes through the infotainment. After around 15 minutes of research (I was pulled over with my 4-way/hazard flashers on) I finally figured out how to reboot the car OS and noticed that even the clicking noise for the hazards turned off while the infotainment was restarting. I assume there's other system audio dependent on the android OS running correctly (all the various chimes if I had to guess). I also have had to restart it twice back to back since things always seem choppy after the first time. After restarting the home page customizations (quick access bar on the left and tile arrangement) are restored to default settings too which is quite annoying.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else with a 2024 has been experiencing these issues? From my research and 2 weeks of experience with the system, it seems the current gen infotainment is arguably a downgrade and raises some reliability/longevity concerns for me personally. Sucks that I'm getting a worse system than the iDrive in an 8 year old bmw , especially after the price increase for the 2024 C8. I assume it's too early to know now, and seems unlikely considering the turn signal audio goes through the android based OS, but does anyone know if a retrofit to earlier model years would be possible?

Honestly I mainly just want my speed limit indicators to work reliably lol, having a conventional gps system as a backup would be nice for peace of mind as well. It's a bit early to say for sure, but this seems like one of those relatively small issues that ends up making you dislike the car because of how it compounds over time. Also for any other 2024 owners, do yourselves a favor and dig through the settings, there's even google ad tracking built into the car but they give you the option to disable it at least.

It'll stop working in the same streets I drive on every day, and once it stops working it never comes back until after the restart. Wish everything wasn't so data dependent, sucks to know that had I gotten an allocation just 2 months earlier I'd have saved 10k and had a better infotainment system lol

• Wow
Reactions: MKC8
Hey everyone,

I received my 2024 2LT HTC stingray about 2 weeks ago and have been loving the car overall. Only issues i've been noticing all seem to be tied to the new infotainment system. From what I understand the 2024 C8's are basically completely google/android based and dependent on google services, particularly through the onboard data connection. Every 5 days or so it seems like the system soft crashes. The first sign of this is that my speed limit indicator in the HUD/Gauge cluster will disappear, then I'll try to use the built in nav (which is now google maps) and no internet dependent functions will work (despite showing full LTE connectivity) ie looking for "nearby locations" etc. Anything data dependent works fine through carplay as that's going through my phone but not through the native OS/built in apps. I switched from android to iOS nearly 10 years ago for these exact same types of reliability issues so it's kind of funny to see they still exist.

Unfortunately it seems like there's more than just navigation that goes through the infotainment. After around 15 minutes of research (I was pulled over with my 4-way/hazard flashers on) I finally figured out how to reboot the car OS and noticed that even the clicking noise for the hazards turned off while the infotainment was restarting. I assume there's other system audio dependent on the android OS running correctly (all the various chimes if I had to guess). I also have had to restart it twice back to back since things always seem choppy after the first time. After restarting the home page customizations (quick access bar on the left and tile arrangement) are restored to default settings too which is quite annoying.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else with a 2024 has been experiencing these issues? From my research and 2 weeks of experience with the system, it seems the current gen infotainment is arguably a downgrade and raises some reliability/longevity concerns for me personally. Sucks that I'm getting a worse system than the iDrive in an 8 year old bmw , especially after the price increase for the 2024 C8. I assume it's too early to know now, and seems unlikely considering the turn signal audio goes through the android based OS, but does anyone know if a retrofit to earlier model years would be possible?

Honestly I mainly just want my speed limit indicators to work reliably lol, having a conventional gps system as a backup would be nice for peace of mind as well. It's a bit early to say for sure, but this seems like one of those relatively small issues that ends up making you dislike the car because of how it compounds over time. Also for any other 2024 owners, do yourselves a favor and dig through the settings, there's even google ad tracking built into the car but they give you the option to disable it at least.
I'll have to let you know.
My car arrived late Wednesday at the dealership, and I've got to wait another 6 days before we take delivery?
PDI, ceramic coating, and some other minor cosmetic stuff take a week to do? Unbelievable.
I guess low volume dealers equals low volume service.

I also recently took delivery of my 2024. The new androids software is terrible and is a downgrade from 20-23 GM based software in every way. I had to do a software restart in safe mode to create an account as the car would wipe all settings every time I would turn it off
Congrats on the new ride.
I can hardly wait to get my new Google/Android problem child. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: Bunny hop
I switched from android to iOS nearly 10 years ago for these exact same types of reliability issues so it's kind of funny to see they still exist.
I very much doubt that Google has very much to do with the cars O/S other than providing the base system. All the apps that the car runs on are likely designed and written by GM or a third party.

Funny, I've heard of far more issues with iOS than Android for many years now.
The only issue I have with Android is trying to get rid of f'n Hyundai commercials on my Sony Android TV's home screens!

I very much doubt that Google has very much to do with the cars O/S other than providing the base system. All the apps that the car runs on are likely designed and written by GM or a third party.

Funny, I've heard of far more issues with iOS than Android for many years now.
The only issue I have with Android is trying to get rid of f'n Hyundai commercials on my Sony Android TV's home screens!
The older I get, the more I value simplicity. My 2020 BMW X5 is a great performance SUV, but redundant menus, capacitive buttons, over the air updates, and overly sensitive sensors have caused multiple day long trips to the dealer every year even though the basic functions have never been affected.

My old 2012 Chrysler 300 has not required a single trip back to the dealership the entire 8 years and 185,000KM, now that is true luxury

I'll have to let you know.
My car arrived late Wednesday at the dealership, and I've got to wait another 6 days before we take delivery?
PDI, ceramic coating, and some other minor cosmetic stuff take a week to do? Unbelievable.
I guess low volume dealers equals low volume service.
Mike, it might be that once the ceramic goes on, the car needs to stay completely dry for 3-5 days at least. I think you sent them a copy of the 2024 PDI sheet so they'll need some time to work through it! With my car coming through a high volume dealer, I told them they had 3 days and I would be there to pick it up. They knew I meant it and the car was waiting in the showroom for me when I got there.

My old 2012 Chrysler 300 has not required a single trip back to the dealership the entire 8 years and 185,000KM, now that is true luxury
Ya, neither of our 2 Camaros went to the dealer more than once and that was for a flaw in the windshield. There is certainly something to be said about simplicity for sure. Gone are the days of aftermarket stereos and simple mods to engines.

The older I get, the more I value simplicity. My 2020 BMW X5 is a great performance SUV, but redundant menus, capacitive buttons, over the air updates, and overly sensitive sensors have caused multiple day long trips to the dealer every year even though the basic functions have never been affected.

When I sold my C6 and bought my C7, I thought about how much extra tech there was in the C7 and wondered if I would regret it. 8 plus years later and other than oil and some fluid changes (my choice), it has never been back.

Rumor has it one of the reasons the 2024 is at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI is due to the reported problems so far with the new infotainment system.
I had those I know tell me before it came out in the Corvette, that it wasn't liked in other GM products that had it earlier.
I think Bob, Denis and Mike will be able to help others on here that experience issues by posting solutions they find with their cars until GM sends out an update to resolve some of the issues.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Mike, it might be that once the ceramic goes on, the car needs to stay completely dry for 3-5 days at least. I think you sent them a copy of the 2024 PDI sheet so they'll need some time to work through it! With my car coming through a high volume dealer, I told them they had 3 days and I would be there to pick it up. They knew I meant it and the car was waiting in the showroom for me when I got there.
I decided to see if they could do "better" on the timing and overall process, and to my surprise, I'm picking it up next Tuesday morning, instead of Thursday. The sales guy (I think) got their CC guy to do it this afternoon, so it could sit and dry/cure all weekend.
Got the insurance almost sorted. Going with a standalone local brokerage that uses CAA. They can offer a good number, with 5 years of OPCF43 coverage, instead of 3. So, I will have that sorted, and ready for Tuesday.
This all came about when I saw "snow probable" in the local forecast for next Wednesday/Thursday.
I do not like road salt/brine, and I made that clear when I requested "expedited service" this morning.
So, it's all good. My dealership/sales guy came through in the crunch.
I couldn't be more pleased. Except on Tuesday, maybe.
I saw it yesterday in the dungeon they call a service department.
She's a "looker" for sure. Got a great @$$. ;)
P_20231116_145709small-modified.jpg

Rumor has it one of the reasons the 2024 is at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI is due to the reported problems so far with the new infotainment system.
I had those I know tell me before it came out in the Corvette, that it wasn't liked in other GM products that had it earlier.
I think Bob, Denis and Mike will be able to help other on here that experience issues by posting solutions they find with their cars until GM sends out an update to resolve some of the issues.
Absolutely, yes. As of Tuesday.
Change is inevitable, and usually disliked until people get the hang of it.
Also, some of the complaints will be a result of user/operator error, whether from poor documentation, or functional misunderstanding.
I guess I'll soon find out what's what with it.

Last edited:
That's good news! I assume that's the boss in the photo checking the car out! I assume she's checked the car already to make sure the VIN # matches the
one I sent you? Try to get the home in the dry and let the ceramic cure for a few more days without getting any moisture on it.

• Agree
I decided to see if they could do "better" on the timing and overall process, and to my surprise, I'm picking it up next Tuesday morning, instead of Thursday. The sales guy (I think) got their CC guy to do it this afternoon, so it could sit and dry/cure all weekend.
Got the insurance almost sorted. Going with a standalone local brokerage that uses CAA. They can offer a good number, with 5 years of OPCF43 coverage, instead of 3. So, I will have that sorted, and ready for Tuesday.
This all came about when I saw "snow probable" in the local forecast for next Wednesday/Thursday.
I do not like road salt/brine, and I made that clear when I requested "expedited service" this morning.
So, it's all good. My dealership/sales guy came through in the crunch.
I couldn't be more pleased. Except on Tuesday, maybe.
I saw it yesterday in the dungeon they call a service department.
She's a "looker" for sure. Got a great @$$. ;)
View attachment 116563
Congrats man

That's good news! I assume that's the boss in the photo checking the car out! I assume she's checked the car already to make sure the VIN # matches the
one I sent you? Try to get the home in the dry and let the ceramic cure for a few more days without getting any moisture on it.
Yes, that's "she who must be obeyed". :Biggrin:
Everything matches, and I had a look at the Window Sticker last week on C8 Tracker, and everything ordered, was there.
Couldn't get the doors open, because of the hoist posts (didn't want to risk it).

One unexpected oddity, however. I asked about adding GM rad screens, after the fact.
Sales guy looked into it and said they didn't have a GM part that fits the 2024 HTC Z51, or something like that.
So, I'm going to be looking into that one over the weekend.
Denis, did you get, or planning to get, factory rad screens? Just curious, as we seem to have very similar cars. ;)

Yes, that's "she who must be obeyed". :Biggrin:
Everything matches, and I had a look at the Window Sticker last week on C8 Tracker, and everything ordered, was there.
Couldn't get the doors open, because of the hoist posts (didn't want to risk it).

One unexpected oddity, however. I asked about adding GM rad screens, after the fact.
Sales guy looked into it and said they didn't have a GM part that fits the 2024 HTC Z51, or something like that.
So, I'm going to be looking into that one over the weekend.
Denis, did you get, or planning to get, factory rad screens? Just curious, as we seem to have very similar cars. ;)
No plans for rad screens. My 2021 doesn’t have em, and after 19,000km the rad fins are fine. maybe because I don’t do much highway driving

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread