No reputable shop I know would be anywhere close to $2100, more like 4k and up, my problem with PPF is so many inferior installers, no way I trust them with a box cutter knife, seams that aren't done well, bubbles etc...

One guy at a detail shop told me this

PPF = Paint Protection Film ... NOT Paint Perfection Film

If you hear this I suggest you leave quietly ;)

I have a Buick Enclave that has 150 000 + k on it and has been driven to Florida about 10 times through the Virginias ... and all it has is 1 tiny chip that you wouldnt even notice unless I pointed it out to you

PPF cant hurt but is it necessary ? ...Arguable

A good shop will charge you a crap load and its not likely you will get a perfect job

Reactions: slegros and KTJF
Is $2,000 really a crap load when we’re spending $150,000 on the car itself? Mine is flawless. Also had my ACS goodies covered in it.

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 0
On my C6 GS, I had 2 minor stone marks(not chips) on the body work after 10 years and 113,000, no PPF and on ceramic coating. However my front ZR1 splitter had lots of stone damage and the mirrors got sand damage. So my plan on my ERAY is to have the front splitter and mirrors covered with PPF and the rest of the car done with ceramic. Just to let guys know that Carbon Fiber front splitters that take stone or sand damage look really bad. Over time Carbon Fiber stone chip gets bigger. Save your money and just get a black splitter and cover it with CF vinyl. That way you can strip it off and put on new for a lot less than real CF.

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller
Is $2,000 really a crap load when we’re spending $150,000 on the car itself? Mine is flawless. Also had my ACS goodies covered in it.

Absolutely not ... if you can find it for that . I paid about that just to have my front end done and although its very good and im happy with it

Is it perfect ? ... again Absolutely not ;)

Reactions: scraze66
One side effect of partial PPF is uneven UV exposure. Covered vs uncovered panels will discolour unevenly over time.
Good thing my car is Carbon Flash as I doubt you will see any yellowing with that colour if that is even a thing with the new tech films.

My price though a buddy who gets all his cars done by this small local detailer is $6000 for full coverage XPEL Ultimate with all edges wrapped. They will be covering everything except for the windows.
He was showing me his Grey Hellcat and it was done about 6 year ago and I could see no signs of yellowing and this may have been done with old technology XPEL PPF. His is out in the sun more than my car will be for sure.

I am going for it, because I have seen and read enough that it works and will definitely work for my OCD with scratches and swirls in the paint.
I intend to keep this car until I either get a Z06 or C9 or whatever else tickles my fancy when the time comes. You cannot take the sh*t with you so you may as well spend it on what makes you happy.

Last edited:
I had my front clip done with Xpel, includes the front fascia, the hood, the front fenders, mirrors, A pillars, trim above the windshield, the ground effects package, the door sills, and the rear wing (this to protect against rubbing when using the trunk), splash guards are already installed. Everything has been ceramic coated, GTECHNIQ, exterior and interior, the wheels, inside and out before they were installed and the installation of the controversial Z51 decals on the side skirts. For everything - $3,800.
I have a black 98 C5, 26 years old and 62,000 kms, looking at the front end I see about 8 - 10 minor stone chips, all on the "front bumper". there is a good company down here, Carsmetics, that does a great job of repairing these minor chips. The only coatings this car has seen over the decades is quality carnauba wax. Have a good day everyone, spring is coming.

Good thing my car is Carbon Flash as I doubt you will see any yellowing with that colour if that is even a thing with the new tech films.

My price though a buddy who gets all his cars done by this small local detailer is $6000 for full coverage XPEL Ultimate with all edges wrapped. They will be covering everything except for the windows.
He was showing me his Grey Hellcat and it was done about 6 year ago and I could see no signs of yellowing and this may have been done with old technology XPEL PPF. His is out in the sun more than my car will be for sure.

I am going for it, because I have seen and read enough that it works and will definitely work for my OCD with scratches and swirls in the paint.
I intend to keep this car until I either get a Z06 or C9 or whatever else tickles my fancy when the time comes. You cannot take the sh*t with you so you may as well spend it on what makes you happy.
It's not the discolouring of the PPF that is the problem. That can be fixed by replacing the PPF, and I think newer PPF largely resists yellowing. The UV fades the uncovered paint slightly over time, and you get body panels that are no longer the same colour. Body shops have multiple paint chips that match the factory paint at various stages of aging, so that they can more correctly match the colour of a repair. In theory the clear coat should prevent this, and many claim what I'm saying is a myth. However, I own a BMW 3-series that had PPF on the front 12" or so of the hood with a nice tan line I can show you! LOL! Likely less of an issue if the vehicle is usually parked indoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8
I did 36,000kms on my first C8 and drove it 365 days a year. Not a single stone chip. I have 8,000Km on my HTC and not a single stone chip.
Neither had any PPF and none of my future cars will. I would rather spend the money on mods.
I even got $15,000 more than the MSRP I paid when I traded it in.

A slightly different, but I think still relevant response. I have Xpel on the front fascia. In close to 3 years, there are two spots where an impact tore a chunk of the Xpel perhaps 4 to 5 mm in diameter, but left the paint intact. I have no doubt that without the PPF they would have chipped the paint.

As far as discoloring, I can tell zero difference in the appearance of the covered vs. uncovered sections. Everything has been ceramic coated, and all sections appear the same color and reflectivity.

I'd suggest comparisons of Buicks or even older Corvettes aren't very relevant. Few cars have painted surfaces as close to the ground as the front end of a C8.

A slightly different, but I think still relevant response. I have Xpel on the front fascia. In close to 3 years, there are two spots where an impact tore a chunk of the Xpel perhaps 4 to 5 mm in diameter, but left the paint intact. I have no doubt that without the PPF they would have chipped the paint.

As far as discoloring, I can tell zero difference in the appearance of the covered vs. uncovered sections. Everything has been ceramic coated, and all sections appear the same color and reflectivity.

I'd suggest comparisons of Buicks or even older Corvettes aren't very relevant. Few cars have painted surfaces as close to the ground as the front end of a C8.
Obviously not a C8 but my Suntek ppf on my C7 will be 9 years old this summer with no ceramic and the same here... no discolouration at all. and my C7 is every bit as close to the ground as a C8