Jan 25, 2024
Vaughan, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
Awaiting C8
Province
ON
This question goes out to all those who did NOT get PPF installed. What does your front bumper and hood look like? Installers and ppf installers gasp when you ask for just the bumper or just a full ceramic coat. :)
My car, my choice, but what is the real experience, that's what I would like to hear.

My 2021 with almost 20,000 km has no PPF or ceramic coating, and the paint is still perfect. So I am not doing anything different on my 2024.
Hello Denis,
I am in the same boat as DavidC, so with the 20000km, you have showroom/delivery quality paint, no visible stone chips anywhere on the front of the car, and no stone pitting behind the wheels or rockers?
Do you clean with no touch method to wash and dry the cars?

Sorry I am anal when it comes to the finish on my sport cars, especially with this new C8. If saw any swirling from the wash mitt when cleaning insect debris or road tars and oils I would freak or at least if would bother me.
And on the same note, I want to have next to zero maintenance with the finish, which means power wash rinse it, soap it down with the foam cannon, rinse again and blow dry.

I had a stone hit my car from a truck and my PPF was damaged. Paint was flawless. It’s already paid for itself and I’m very glad I got it. For a measly $2,000, it’s worth it. Lasts 10 years and is self healing if damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_8061.jpeg
    IMG_8061.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello Denis,
I am in the same boat as DavidC, so with the 20000km, you have showroom/delivery quality paint, no visible stone chips anywhere on the front of the car, and no stone pitting behind the wheels or rockers?

Sorry I am anal when it comes to the finish on my sport cars, especially with this new C8. If saw any swirling from the wash mitt when cleaning insect debris or road tars and oils I would freak or at least if would bother me.
And on the same note, I want to have next to zero maintenance with the finish, which means power wash rinse it, soap it down with the foam cannon, rinse again and blow dry.
I had been seriously considering PPF but having spoken to many who haven’t telling me that they see no chips or other damage and looking at my own vehicles and seeing none and also considering the cost I have decided against it. I never drive on dirt roads.Now on the other hand I will be slathering it with high quality ceramic for sure for the reasons you mentioned and others. That I can see good value in .Just my two cents .

I had been seriously considering PPF but having spoken to many who haven’t telling me that they see no chips or other damage and looking at my own vehicles and seeing none and also considering the cost I have decided against it. Now on the other hand I will be slathering it with high quality ceramic for sure for the reasons you mentioned and others. That I can see good value in .Just my two cents .
I’ve looked at many used low mileage exotics and Corvettes over the years and those that have been daily driven in provinces like Alberta or Ontario, they all had chips here and there and road rash on all of them. The portion under the side intakes which protrude outwards take a beating especially.

You can actually protect your paint via PPF instead of ceramic coating which doesn’t do squat for not a whole lot more.

This question goes out to all those who did NOT get PPF installed. What does your front bumper and hood look like? Installers and ppf installers gasp when you ask for just the bumper or just a full ceramic coat. :)
My car, my choice, but what is the real experience, that's what I would like to hear.
It depends on where you live , mileage you put on and how long you plan to keep it. I had it done , for 2000$ on the whole front end, including bumper, lights, front fenders, mirrors, windshield frame, and rocker panels. This is my dream car , so I plan on keeping it for a long time and I live in Quebec, where the roads are badly swept, by lazy people, who do not bother to do both sides, on some highways!!!

Hello Denis,

yes the car's paint is in the same state it was delivered in.

as for cleaning, I just go through a touchless car wash that blowdries the car on the way out and call it a day

Reactions: MKC8
I’ve looked at many used low mileage exotics and Corvettes over the years and those that have been daily driven in provinces like Alberta or Ontario, they all had chips here and there and road rash on all of them. The portion under the side intakes which protrude outwards take a beating especially.

You can actually protect your paint via PPF instead of ceramic coating which doesn’t do squat for not a whole lot more.
Thanks. I’m aware of those points but also aware of my budget ! There is also the psychological aspect of being on edge all the time with something new especially if it’s expensive constantly worrying about the slightest bit of damage. A friend of mine always said, jokingly of course, that the best way to avoid that stress is to give it a kick and a couple of scratches and stop worrying about it, lol . To each their own at the end of the day. And the above quote is actually about half the price I was quoted for the same coverage. Yes it would be expensive to repaint the entire car but just the front end where most of the possible damage would occur, not so much. Also removing yellowed or damaged PPF is far from simple or inexpensive.

Thanks. I’m aware of those points but also aware of my budget ! There is also the psychological aspect of being on edge all the time with something new especially if it’s expensive constantly worrying about the slightest bit of damage. A friend of mine always said, jokingly of course, that the best way to avoid that stress is to give it a kick and a couple of scratches and stop worrying about it, lol . To each their own at the end of the day. And the above quote is actually about half the price I was quoted for the same coverage. Yes it would be expensive to repaint the entire car but just the front end where most of the possible damage would occur, not so much. Also removing yellowed or damaged PPF is far from simple or inexpensive.
PPF is warrantied for ten years to not yellow, at least and easy to remove , if one wants , without damage. It is the same as colored PPF, that they use instead of painting a car. A scratch , today costs about 500$ to repair.

Reactions: JOHNNY MAC
yes the car's paint is in the same state it was delivered in.

as for cleaning, I just go through a touchless car wash that blowdries the car on the way out and call it a day
You are either lucky or blessed. All you do is a car wash, to clean it! That must be a heck of a car wash , if it does not leave a film of dirt. I have never seen a car wash do even a descent job for my cars.

Xpel PPF is good for a decade. Also self heals if damaged from scratches, chips, etc.

Xpel PPF is good for a decade. Also self heals if damaged from scratches, chips, etc.
Where was the $2,100 quote from and what was the product? I have a couple of quotes from Edmonton shops for the same coverage closer to 5k than 4K . And that did include Xpel . Not that I would be totally adverse to the idea but being retired on the proverbial “ fixed income “ budget for me has to be considered.

Where was the $2,100 quote from and what was the product? I have a couple of quotes from Edmonton shops for the same coverage closer to 5k than 4K . And that did include Xpel . Not that I would be totally adverse to the idea but being retired on the proverbial “ fixed income “ budget for me has to be considered.

$4-5k for front and rockers is robbery.

Reactions: Sea Wolf Z06

$4-5k for front and rockers is robbery.
My thoughts exactly. And thank you for the link and input.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette