MKinOntario

The Archangel Michael
Regular
C8 Completionist Award You're a Regular
Apr 22, 2023
VetteCoins
I know, this is a chicken/egg question, but what order did you get these little add ons in?
I saw one website that said get the PPF first, then add the Ceramic coating over it.
Another has it the other way around.
Which order makes the most sense? I'd think the PPF might not adhere well to ceramic coat, but I'm guessing.
(I've never done this to any vehicle I've owned for various reasons)

Is all (top end) PPF 3M branded? VViVid, for example?

A sub-question - how long does the PPF and/or cerakote last, on average?
What brands have you found out there for maximum longevity?
As an example, I see Jade Ceramics has several different coatings, ranging from a few years to 7 years.
Are there coatings that have a longer warranty guess-timate?

Thanks for any advice, wisdom, wisecracks.....all are welcome here.

I know, this is a chicken/egg question, but what order did you get these little add ons in?
I saw one website that said get the PPF first, then add the Ceramic coating over it.
Which order makes the most sense? I'd think the PPF might not adhere well to ceramic coat, but I'm guessing.

As an example, I see Jade Ceramics has several different coatings, ranging from a few years to 7 years.

Not a chicken and the egg at all. PPF will not stick to a ceramic coating.
PPF is virtually permanent.
Ceramics can last up to 12 years. Ceramic Pro has a lifetime warranty on their top end product.
The top PPF's are Xpel, Ceramic Pro Kavaca and 3M. Early 3M's were bad, but I hear they've improved.
I can't speak for 3M, but Xpel and Kavaca have "Self Healing" technology. Doesn't require manual intervention. Just Sun light.

• Agree
Reactions: Cariboocreek
So, as I suggested, PPF, then ceramic coating.
The CC first, will make it hard for the PPF to stick to the surfaces.
Copy that.
Thanks gents.
p.s. Thanks for the Ceramic Pro info, sounds like they do it all. I'll check them out when the time comes.

First time I hear that a ceramic coat can last up to 12 years. I have a CC on my modified VW Atlas, so lots of body to cover, and I can honestly say that after 2 years I could already see a difference, and needed to have an updated top layer applied to it. Mind you the winters here in Quebec are brutal, so that does not surprise me. Not saying I would do another CC after that time, just saying that the beading effect started to wear off after 2 years, at least to some extent (still beads).

I have always used and continue to use the XPEL PPF stuff, really awesome product, forced the wife to have it done to her '21 Lexus IS F-Sport as she is not used to having any PPF on her cars, and I told her with that beautiful machine, it is a must !!

For my upcoming pickup at the dealer, was hoping they can get it all done for me, I was asking for more than just the front, wanted the CF aero protected, as well as around the windshield, was quoted $4K. S o instead asked for a basic front end to allow me to drive it back to Montreal, and then will do the rest here (reputable shop does all the exotics and high end SUVs so will get them to finish the rest).

I realize that there are different grades of ceramic coats out there, and you can even buy the stuff and apply it yourself but it is very long and tedious if you follow the steps to the tee. So probably better to have a shop do it.

Reactions: MKinOntario
First time I hear that a ceramic coat can last up to 12 years. I have a CC on my modified VW Atlas, so lots of body to cover, and I can honestly say that after 2 years I could already see a difference, and needed to have an updated top layer applied to it. Mind you the winters here in Quebec are brutal, so that does not surprise me. Not saying I would do another CC after that time, just saying that the beading effect started to wear off after 2 years, at least to some extent (still beads).

I realize that there are different grades of ceramic coats out there, and you can even buy the stuff and apply it yourself but it is very long and tedious if you follow the steps to the tee. So probably better to have a shop do it.
You get what you pay for and things have changed over the years as well. Anyway, I'll let you know in 10 years if it's true! LOL

I have 3M on my 2015 white C7. Dealer installed it, not happy at all. It started to yellow after 4 years and some areas have air bubbles, which the dealer said will evaporate after a few weeks. Never happened. I hear Xpel or Suntek are good. Do your homework prior to getting the PPF. There are websites that compare the various brands.

I have 3M on my 2015 white C7. Dealer installed it, not happy at all. It started to yellow after 4 years and some areas have air bubbles, which the dealer said will evaporate after a few weeks. Never happened. I hear Xpel or Suntek are good. Do your homework prior to getting the PPF. There are websites that compare the various brands.
I approached the topic with my dealer a few weeks ago. I hear your caveat, and have seen a few others online about dealer applied coatings/film.
Thanks.

You get what you pay for and things have changed over the years as well. Anyway, I'll let you know in 10 years if it's true! LOL
I have 2 small business detailers in town.
One has been around forever, and the other is recent, but just down the street from me. Walking distance.
I'm looking into them right now, getting quotes, reading reviews.
Since I don't have the car, I have plenty of time to do the homework.

Paint correction, PPF and then Ceramic coating.
Good point. Paint correction. Mine: Gold package includes a thorough wash, 3 step decontamination, prep wipe and the coats on paint, wheels, windows, headlights and tail lights.

Its not a chicken/egg questions. Its a "who's on first" question!
Seems like you have the answer: PPF is on first.
I had 3M PPF on a silver 2005 Mercedes SLK350 and after 15 years it was still in good condition other than stone chips, scrapes, swirls etc. and I decided to take it off to replace. However I did not replace since I was trading in the car for C8. When removing I could see the film had yellowed but not evident while it was on the car ie you could not see where the PPF ended (half hood). I understand the PPF have been improved since then.
Looking at the C8, there are a lot of areas that could benefit from PPF: you use the frunk a lot more than typical engine hood and front is obvious. You are also using the trunk a lot and there is a high lip so that is susceptible to scratching as you put things in and out and especially the roof. Side rockers also pick up a lot of debris coming off those wide tires. and rear panels. Then there are the parts that stick out while n use: mirrors are way out and those doors are huge. So after a good examination I decided the only part you may not need PPF is the roof, but is that is taken on and off a lot maybe even that.
My conclusion was full PPF. I used a highly reputable installer that uses Expel.
Because I did full PPF I concluded I did not need the best/costliest ceramic for protection but did want something to reduce wash/dry time so opted for $30 CT Turtle Wax Hybrid
and so far that has produced the expected results: much less dry time. Takes about an hour to put it on and I do it every 6 months and so far one bottle lasted 2 years.

Last edited:
I read about your roof coming off and not sure PPF would have saved it. In case anyone interested I now have a transparent roof so likely never use the original so if anyone else forgets to latch I have a new roof: blue but can be painted a lot cheaper than new.

Not a chicken and the egg at all. PPF will not stick to a ceramic coating.
PPF is virtually permanent.
Ceramics can last up to 12 years. Ceramic Pro has a lifetime warranty on their top end product.
The top PPF's are Xpel, Ceramic Pro Kavaca and 3M. Early 3M's were bad, but I hear they've improved.
I can't speak for 3M, but Xpel and Kavaca have "Self Healing" technology. Doesn't require manual intervention. Just Sun light.
I would definitely include Feynlab in that list as they created ceramic coating for cars and one of the best coatings on the market. 👍

I read about your roof coming off and not sure PPF would have saved it. In case anyone interested I now have a transparent roof so likely never use the original so if anyone else forgets to latch I have a new roof: blue but can be painted a lot cheaper than new.
Not sure which PPF you got, but the Kavaca would definitely helped if not totally protected the roof. It's quite thick. I actually rubbed out quite a few of the marks on the roof. There is about 4 deep scratches that quite possibly could have gone through the PPF, but who knows. I'm not going to do a test. The roof is expensive! ;)

I'm hoping to never put the "flying roof" situation to the test.
I ordered the HTC, but may PPF it anyway.
All this input is really invaluable, as it's real world anecdotal stuff.
Lots more homework to do....

I'm hoping to never put the "flying roof" situation to the test.
I ordered the HTC, but may PPF it anyway.
All this input is really invaluable, as it's real world anecdotal stuff.
Lots more homework to do....
A friend of mine with a Camaro ZL1 didn't do his roof and a week later got a stone chip on the roof. It's one of those things. If you do it you'll never get a stone to the roof. If you don't then it will happen. lol

• Agree
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread