20180701_181939.jpg

This picture is from a couple of weeks ago, just a bit south of Ponoka.

Tonight, the winds are howling. 80-100km/h wind gusts. The low clouds are blowing hard south in a hurry, and the upper clouds are quite still. It's really neat to see, actually. The wanna-be farmer-kid across the street freaked out and jumped his car over the curb to get it between the houses and has covered it with a couple of tarps and a bunch of wood and stones to protect it from the hail that he insists is coming. I laughed at him, because his car is a 2000-ish Jetta with 270k and some hail would probably help to knock some of the rust off it.

I've worked outside for years, and have paid attention to weather patterns (not statistically, but physically), and I know it isn't going to rain tonight and it is too late for hail. Nevertheless, I found myself clearing out a path into my garage to shoehorn the TA in, and somehow bruised my right hand in the process. I have no idea what I did, but it hurts, and I don't bruise easily.

The sad part is that after I laughed at that dumb kid, I put my car away just in case. I hate to let him think that he's right, but if I happen to be wrong, it is pretty much irreplaceable. There is little to no chance that my insurance would actually repair it.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Like the picture. Never thought about that but do you not get hail at night? Can't remember it happening but maybe just asleep.

Too bad about your hand, sometimes it does not take much of a bump in the right spot. Rest and keep something cold on it like a beer.

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
haha, thanks for the great advice Murray! I will do just that!

It is unusual for us to get hail at night. Not that it can't happen, but it is pretty rare. Typically, hail here comes when we have a cold front up high and a hot temperature closer to the ground. At night, it is almost always cool or cold, so there isn't enough temperature difference to form ice. I miss Ontario summers - we frequently see single digits overnight all through the summer. Frickin' Eskimos!

Surprisingly, I was indeed wrong and we got some rain last night, but no hail as predicted. I was incorrect in my assessment that we would not get any rain. Apparently that lower front did have some rain in there that happened during the night. I only saw a little bit before I went to bed sometime after midnight, but we got enough rain to overflow my primary barrel again, so it was definitely more than I expected.

Another storm warning and chance of hail. I guess the kid caught hell from the neighbors (or his parents) for parking his car between the houses, so now I get a better shot and can share a picture.

20180718_192421.jpg

To be fair, he's a young fella (early 20's) and probably can't afford collision damage, and if his car got buggered up from hail, he'd probably be on his own to fix it. Still... I gotta chuckle a bit. In front of his car and parked out in the open on the street is his mother's 2016 Jetta with nothing to protect it.

Another storm warning and chance of hail. I guess the kid caught hell from the neighbors (or his parents) for parking his car between the houses, so now I get a better shot and can share a picture.

View attachment 18379

To be fair, he's a young fella (early 20's) and probably can't afford collision damage, and if his car got buggered up from hail, he'd probably be on his own to fix it. Still... I gotta chuckle a bit. In front of his car and parked out in the open on the street is his mother's 2016 Jetta with nothing to protect it.
Been there,done that Jordy. Lol. With my first brand new purchase way back. A 1988 Toyota Extra Cab 4x4.

I downloaded a new app for my phone a few days ago: Global Skytracker. It is kind of annoying with the thunderstorm warnings, but when it doubles up within minutes or seconds, it is a good idea to check it. I was driving around and ignored it when it came up again, but something in the back of my head somewhere told me I needed to take a look as I heard a couple of messages come through. Sure enough, it was a confirmation that hail was 30km west of Airdrie and heading our way at 15km/h, which at the time I read it meant that I had about a half an hour to get the garage organized and get the TA inside. I made it with about four minutes to spare.

20180801_162003.jpg

That's my front lawn.

20180801_161555.jpg

While I was busy out front with getting the car in the garage and then celebrating my victory while watching the neighbor's kid scramble to do something with his old Jetta and laugh, I realized that my back door was wide open with a retractable screen. This is my back deck at the back door. Sorry, no more pictures of this mess, but it was bad. There was so much hail that I couldn't even get the back door to close. It was built up in the door jams so thick that I was more than six inches from getting the door to latch. I had to sweep all the ice out and then I surely used a half a roll of paper towel to clean up all the water off my hardwood floor.

20180801_161805.jpg

After cleaning up all of the extra water, this is what was still left on the back porch, and it is quite melted compared to what it was.

Effin' Alberta weather!

Last edited:
Woke to this “white sh&$” in YEG this morning. Great Breakfast Coffee with @rockitman and followed by awesome yakety-yack and an afternoon of fun activity in the @turbozig corvette barn and with @ddgermann before hopping into the Sierra and heading back thru “White” Red Deer with the final 100km to YYC being nothing but a blowing white out. The wind was strong and from the East ...
Numerous vehicles off the road and one semi on its side. The “system” appears to have parked over Calgary ... only two lanes of max 70kph on Deerfoot Trail ... from Airdrie right to the Southend ... drivers were actually decent ... home safe after just over 4 hours ....

Last edited:
Like so many other spots in Canada, Ontario's North has had severe flooding, worse than 2013. Bracebridge, Huntsville and Minden to name a few. The lakes above these towns are at capacity the ground cannot absorb anymore as it is still partially frozen. Pockets of snow here and there and lots of rain.

Our lake while very high and still mostly ice covered is not at the level of 2013, thank goodness for that. Still keeping a eye on where the water levels are each morning as it can change rapidly depending on what happens above us.

Thankfully the Corvette is still sitting on blocks in the garage.

Reactions: Jeremiad
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread