Round and Round we go...

Reactions: XFIRE82 and YFCvii
Round and Round we go...

View attachment 27686
..............well the Impala got stripped of its chrome body moldings, glass removed except for the windshield, wheels wells all cut out, roll bar installed and lucky 13 put on the door , arm out the window , helmet on and the young guy has a smile on his face ready to show the crowd his 58 is boss.

and another 58 Impala cut up for the track. this one has a fuel door cut into the rear side quarter same place the wagons are. wonder what he has under the hood ?

What I found interesting about this one was the front end changes to improve aerodynamics; grill looks filled in except for a spot in the middle of the bumper, a rudimentary splitter just under the bumper and the rear wheel wells filled in to reduce the gap around the tires. I am trying to remember when they introduced the driver's side window net. Wasn't it mentioned in an earlier post. This guy was serious about his racing is my impression.

I don't know why he would of filled in the whole grill as that is where the rad gets air, the grill is aluminum and very light so he didn't gain anything as far as weight loss. He had to take out the filler panel in the center of the bumper and then make a duct to direct the air flow up towards the rad. There is also a extension added to the rear corner roof post . Alot of body work as all the molding clip holes are filled too. Those are big boots on front.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
GM called them a wheel carrier , but the name commonly used was continental kit . The same center section was used in 57 and 58, just bolt on the end pieces of the bumper for the year. This was the nicest and best design of all the coni kits ever offered my opinion. Some car makers had the whole bumper just extended back about a foot with a flat filler panel between the body and bumper and just the wheel stood up in it, they didn't look good. This 57 / 58 design looked classy and to gain access into the trunk you simply lifted up the lever on the side and the wheel tilted back and you could get stuff in and out of the trunk much easier. After I built my convertible the first year I had just the stock bumper with 6 '59 cadillac tail lights . I looked at it and hmmm, I have a original coni kit on a parts car and thought they are abit ugly but sitting between those long cadillac bullets it may be not bad, so I chromed the 9 pieces that made up the kit and put it on .

2.jpeg

1964 New Hampshire licence plate, Joe has a smoke in his hand while leaning on his 58 wagon with a 283 in it. Just a even skiff of snow on the lake which makes it easy to drive anywhere. The 58 with a set of grips in back went through alot of mud and snow , high clearance and a well balanced car just made them go .

Reactions: Black 03 Z06