I have and always will be a 'neat' single-malt "Scotch Guy"... paired with chocolate or a nice cigar poolside during the Spring-Summer and in the heated "Garagemahal" during the Fall-Winter... or year round during poker nights with buds lol. I've just recently dipped into some Cognac tastings with friends but have yet to try Bourbon, any recommendations?

Beware Toronto area Scotch drinkers, I'd recommend staying away from "The Feathers Pub" ( The Feathers > Home ) unless you don't mind spending afew hundred $$$ per sitting.... money well wasted IMO as I'm a regular lol
For a daily bourbon, its hard to beat Woodford Reserve. There is a couple of versions each slightly higher priced. My favourite Woodford is the double oaked. Buffalo Trace is a nice drink as well. Of course you can go to the grand daddy and get yourself a bottle of 23 year old Paddy Van Winkle ($2000 and up). Buffalo Trace is distilled right beside Paddy’s, as it is now the same company.

Ok, bourbon drinkers, I just bought my first ever bottle (Woodford reserve) today and will be giving it a try tonight. Is this to be enjoyed over ice or neat?
I shall be reporting back afterwards.
I prefer mine with a couple of ice cubes. I have tried it like a good scotch with a drop of two of water, but I have never found bourbon to “open up” like a scotch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I typically drink it on ice. I like it neat as well and also don't mind with ice and a splash of water.... hmmmmm All around Woodfords bourbon drinker I guess... Some of the more caramel or smokey bourbons I prefer neat. Scotch I only drink on ice.

Well, it seems at this stage in my life, Bourbon is not for me :Nono1:. I will certainly give it another try at a later date, but for now, I’m not a fan. There is hope though, as I never used to like scotch either, but now am quite a fan. At one point in my scotch experiment, i bought a fairly Expensive bottle, and really didn’t like it at all. Way too Smokey/peaty, for a rookie, but after about 3 drinks (I was giving it my best effort), I couldn’t imagine my life without it!
Anyhoo, I said I would report back, so for now my experiment is over. :)
Cheers.

Reactions: RockyPM
Well, it seems at this stage in my life, Bourbon is not for me :Nono1:. I will certainly give it another try at a later date, but for now, I’m not a fan. There is hope though, as I never used to like scotch either, but now am quite a fan. At one point in my scotch experiment, i bought a fairly Expensive bottle, and really didn’t like it at all. Way too Smokey/peaty, for a rookie, but after about 3 drinks (I was giving it my best effort), I couldn’t imagine my life without it!
Anyhoo, I said I would report back, so for now my experiment is over. :)
Cheers.
It is true that only a select group have been anointed by the heavens to understand the deep and subtle complexities of the nectar, heretofore known as bourbon. There is no shame in not having been one of the chosen few. Hold your head high. You are a good person....

Definitely false advertising. My count is 27 :angelic:

count.jpg

For the scotch drinkers out there, it's hard to beat a Lagavulin and a medium rare steak! Perfection! Lagavulin is fairly peaty, so if you drink if all night, you wake up feeling like you've made out with an exhaust pipe the night before, but it is great.
:britgrin:
If you're really into a full bodied scotch, try the Laphroaig quarter cask.... Kapow!:crazzee:
lagavulin-16-year-old-whisky.jpg
m13170_2.jpg

Last time I was at the LCBO this caught my eye. Grabbed a bottle and was very impressed. If you like Baily's it's like that except the ingredients are way better. I am of Scottish background so can appreciate the Scotch used in this and think it said Belgium cream. Have yet to try it on coffee but I bet thats a great way to start the day. I approve of this message. LOL.
LQ-Magnum-50.jpg

Last time I was at the LCBO this caught my eye. Grabbed a bottle and was very impressed. If you like Baily's it's like that except the ingredients are way better. I am of Scottish background so can appreciate the Scotch used in this and think it said Belgium cream. Have yet to try it on coffee but I bet thats a great way to start the day. I approve of this message. LOL.View attachment 39206

Not enough bourbon and too much cream for me but Brenda is a Baileys fan so i will watch for it....

Tried that once... Unfortunately the alcohol boils off faster than the cream... I would need to build a still to capture the alcohol.... hmmmm....idea!.... :Biggrin:
There are reasons you are on an acreage Eric. So if I hear a boom and see a plume of smoke in the east that means your alcohol capture experiment has gone awry?:facepalm:

There are reasons you are on an acreage Eric. So if I hear a boom and see a plume of smoke in the east that means your alcohol capture experiment has gone awry?:facepalm:
You forget Paul. I grew up on the east coast. Every second house had a still. That's changed a lot since then though. Now it's only every third house.... :Biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread