I think bars do that a lot too.

Here's some useful knowledge I picked up from my grandfather a million years ago... He was a notorious bootlegger and moonshiner on the east coast when I was a kid...

Little trick for checking alcohol content and whether a bottle has been watered down... Shake the booze bottle... Preferably on it's side... Look at the bubbles...80 proof alcohol bubbles are smaller and last several seconds while higher alcohol, whether 150 proof or Shine, has larger bubbles that disappear fast.
Watered down alcohol will have very small bubbles that last a longer time... Watered down with tap water will typically also have minute particles floating around in the bottle after you shake it...

Try it!

• Informative
Reactions: Bixter44 and kerry4
Here's some useful knowledge I picked up from my grandfather a million years ago... He was a notorious bootlegger and moonshiner on the east coast when I was a kid...

Little trick for checking alcohol content and whether a bottle has been watered down... Shake the booze bottle... Preferably on it's side... Look at the bubbles...80 proof alcohol bubbles are smaller and last several seconds while higher alcohol, whether 150 proof or Shine, has larger bubbles that disappear fast.
Watered down alcohol will have very small bubbles that last a longer time... Watered down with tap water will typically also have minute particles floating around in the bottle after you shake it...

Try it!
Mmmmm, now I am going to get some weird looks at the LCBO. :-/

Try it!
Would have been nice to know this when my son was 16, but it didn't matter the Gibson's Silver whiskey was so watered down it looked a very pale yellow and when put beside a new bottle he knew he was busted. I'm into the scotch and rum now. Favorite is Ron Millonario from Peru. Excellent sipping rum that goes down way too easily!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Yeah.... Not a big Fireball fan. Not really a rye whiskey fan at the best of times and when they mix anti-freeze (propylene glycol) as they do with fireball, I'm definitely not a fan....

And btw Dennis... Thorogood covered One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer... It isn't his song... He actually took both John Lee Hooker's ' House Rent Boogie' and 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' and combined them into a bit of a medley... Hair on him though. He made more money than Hooker ever saw in his lifetime...
Thanks Eric for a little info on George. Not a Thororgood fan, but I appreciate music and the artists. Some have very interesting stories to tell. Whiskeys, bourbons or Scotch are a personal taste and not necessary reflective of price. As long as its not "Rot Gut" its all good.

Would have been nice to know this when my son was 16, but it didn't matter the Gibson's Silver whiskey was so watered down it looked a very pale yellow and when put beside a new bottle he knew he was busted. I'm into the scotch and rum now. Favorite is Ron Millonario from Peru. Excellent sipping rum that goes down way too easily!

Peru is a long ways way... Assuming someone nearer sells it...lol... I got introduced to 'Fortress' rum when I was in NS for my Dad's celebration of life. My sister pulled out a bottle and we proceeded to drink most of it over ice that evening. A very smooth sipping rum.... Brewed in Cape Breton and according to sis, only sold in certain liquor stores in NS... I brought a bottle home but like Cariboo and his Pappy bourbon, I'm waiting for that special occasion to crack it open... lol...

Thats a good point.

Attachments

• 12541042_10156515026545565_5411154774706807614_n.jpg
    12541042_10156515026545565_5411154774706807614_n.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 23
I don’t mind a good rye. Gibson’s 18 year old or similar. Good whiskeys should stand alone on their own with either a bit of ice or a splash of water.

I also have somewhat of s history with Gibsons. A very good friend of mine from NC use to come up fishing the north with me and since he couldn't find the whiskey he drank, he bought Gibsons and thought it was wonderful. At that time, he couldn't find it south of the border so would get me to bring it to him every trip I made down there. He passed away in 2005 and we buried him with a bottle of Gibsons. :thumbs:

I also have somewhat of s history with Gibsons. A very good friend of mine from NC use to come up fishing the north with me and since he couldn't find the whiskey he drank, he bought Gibsons and thought it was wonderful. At that time, he couldn't find it south of the border so would get me to bring it to him every trip I made down there. He passed away in 2005 and we buried him with a bottle of Gibsons. :thumbs:
Everybody's got a guy. LOL. My guy was one of the big shots at Forty Creek. Got some great stuff there, but he retired a couple of years ago. :-(

SCOTCH ...

SO !!! As it's Robbie Burns Day on Saturday Jan 25th
... Let's briefly talk SCOTCH ... for those who can/will.

I want to know the BEST Bang for the Buck for someone who celebrates his Birthday on the same January day as RB.

This person is part Scottish - 1 of only 2 in the family who has never and won't wear a dress (kilt).
What is the Best Bang for the Buck (not cheapa$$ Scottish Buck) for RBD on Jan 25th

... check CCF BDay Section on Sat to find out who and perhaps join in with a shot on the day :joyful:

Last edited:
Reactions: kerry4
SCOTCH ...

SO !!! As it's Robbie Burns Day on Saturday Jan 25th
... Let's briefly talk SCOTCH ... for those who can/will.

I want to know the BEST Bang for the Buck for someone who celebrates his Birthday on the same January day as RB.

This person is part Scottish - 1 of only 2 in the family who has never and won't wear a dress (kilt).
What is the Best Bang for the Buck (not cheapa$$ Scottish Buck) for RBD on Jan 25th

... check CCF BDay Section on Sat to find out who and perhaps join in with a shot on the day :joyful:

Tough one Sp. Scotch drinkers are very particular and very fussy to certain tastes. Much like bourbon drinkers...lol...And there are scotches distilled fo every one of them. Would help a bit if you knew even a direction he tends to lean towards... smokey, oakey, peaty (earthy), grassy, sherried, honey, heather, or fruity. Let us think on it and get back to you.

You could always go with Aarans Robbie Burns scotch for the occassion''' fairly inexpensive scotch. I have never tried it.. so????? Glenmorangie is a nice rich and mellow scotch.... would be my choice to please the majority of scotch drinkers

You could always go with Aarans Robbie Burns scotch for the occassion''' fairly inexpensive scotch. I have never tried it.. so????? Glenmorangie is a nice rich and mellow scotch.... would be my choice to please the majority of scotch drinkers
Thx ... It will be more about scotch for the part Scottish ccf bday fella than celebrating the Scottish priced way for robbie burns ... 😂 ... 👍🏻👍🏻

Oh ... WoW ... found something in the very back of my bar cabinet. It has to have been placed there by my 😇 Dad 🙏🏻 up to as many as 20 years ago ... still in box ... looks like I’ve got something to enjoy on Robbie Burns Day 🤪 very classic label on this bottle 👍🏻

3A1E7D2F-B768-44F5-A927-70794F3336C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh ... WoW ... found something in the very back of my bar cabinet. It has to have been placed there by my 😇 Dad 🙏🏻 up to as many as 20 years ago ... still in box ... looks like I’ve got something to enjoy on Robbie Burns Day 🤪 very classic label on this bottle 👍🏻

View attachment 35634
There ya go... So would that make it Glenlivet 32? ;)

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii

Users who are viewing this thread