Guessing that's because Ont. Gov't is stifling competition in the market. Ouch. Alberta was the same way back 40 years ago. Now we have an outlet on every corner... literally...
We cant be trusted in Ontario. LOL. But we can buy weed. Makes no sense.

We cant be trusted in Ontario. LOL. But we can buy weed. Makes no sense.
Makes sense to me here in MB. The government isn't about to give up the revenue and let it go to private enterprise. But some here think that they could make it back from taxing the private liquor stores and the consumer would win.

Makes sense to me here in MB. The government isn't about to give up the revenue and let it go to private enterprise. But some here think that they could make it back from taxing the private liquor stores and the consumer would win.
Taxes account for about 80% of the liquor and beer sales in Canada. Last time my wife went to the states she brought back 30 cans of Rolling Rock beer for me and it cost $13.00. One bottle of 1.75 litre of Bourbon I think was around $26.00. We are drowning in taxes here and its only going to get worse. I imagine Trudeau will be working on a new tax. Called the Covid tax. Plus raising the HST. The money he has borrowed has to be paid back some how.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Bixter44
Taxes account for about 80% of the liquor and beer sales in Canada. Last time my wife went to the states she brought back 30 cans of Rolling Rock beer for me and it cost $13.00. One bottle out 1.75 litre of Bourbon I think was around $26.00. We are drowning in taxes here and its only going to get worse. I imagine Trudeau will be working on a new tax. Called the Covid tax. Plus raising the HST. The money he has borrowed has to be paid back some how.
There are many ways to pay back debt. When the vast majority of the debt note is held by the Chinese government, debt repayment is and can be overlooked by other “in kind” transactions. Although they do not specifically pay down the debt, issues like Huawei 5g have a far greater positive impact financially for the Chinese than does our debt repayment.

You and I view borrowing as a way to stretch our buying power, but that is limited to our ability to repay. No such restriction takes place globally as there are other geo-political matters afoot. There is zero intent at the federal level to repay this massive debt. Its not even viewed as a debt to the Chinese. Its viewed as a downpayment on the purchase of Canada. Remember it is Trudeau who said, “ “There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship...”

We are completely and totally screwed.

Officially derailed.

Agreed.... Global dept is just words to most. Like the US, who cannot afford to pay the interest on their global dept, we will soon, if not already, be in the same situation. If for no subject reason our global dept was not increased, the compounded interest alone is well beyond our ability to harness. Attempting to financially budget without a deficit is a smoke screen as we will never climb out of a global deficit... But as long as our government calculates and share only what is contained in the small financial statement bubble that is publicly released each year, the sheep will carry on grazing without knowing that the wolves are slowly taking over the flock....

Wow.... Who started this..... Al...... hahahahahaha.....

Its worse than us just being sheep. Part of the debt is to provide us with all the social program placebos that we could ever desire. Our “compassionate” society, where we look after everyone for any reason at anytime, comes with a financial price tag. But we don't care. We keep feeding at the trough of un-satiated social welfare with no concern as to how and when the note will be called or how we will repay on that day.

I would suggest learning mandarin.

你好
Nǐ hǎo

Since it's been a bit since I've been back to this thread...and it got a bit off-topic, I will freshen it up a bit... By now everyone is pretty much aware I'm a bourbon drinker but I use to drink good rum as well. I like my spirits neat or over ice and thought if any of you here of the same mind, I found a rum last year that tastes great and goes down exceptionally smooth. It's called Fortress and is brewed in Cape Breton only and matured and bottled at Fort Louisbourg Historic Museum. Use to only be sold in NS but now you can get it out here.

rum.jpg

Since it's been a bit since I've been back to this thread...and it got a bit off-topic, I will freshen it up a bit... By now everyone is pretty much aware I'm a bourbon drinker but I use to drink good rum as well. I like my spirits neat or over ice and thought if any of you here of the same mind, I found a rum last year that tastes great and goes down exceptionally smooth. It's called Fortress and is brewed in Cape Breton only and matured and bottled at Fort Louisbourg Historic Museum. Use to only be sold in NS but now you can get it out here.

View attachment 74791
Almost started the truck to go to town, but of course MB's MLCC doesn't carry it.

I got the "One Beer" ...

View attachment 74791
... appears to be specialty stocked item when in AB ... not sure though ...
plan to be heading to NB in the fall with a 20ft hauler in tow ...
wondering if it will come back empty ... :angelic:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
If I may join the party.. Scotch is my passion drink. Its been a while since I had a Bourbon, and I think I'm due.. I think I just haven't found one I liked yet. I like to try different Scotches sometimes when I travel for business. A few years ago I did some work over a few weeks at the Royal York in TO. I got to know the bartender pretty good, and every night i would go down to the bar, and Mike would enthusiastically be waiting for me with a new list of Scotches he wanted me to try. One evening a young entrepreneur sat beside me at the bar, and was listening to Mike and I talk Scotch. He asked me some questions, and I pointed out some of their top shelf Scotches that were too expensive for me including the one I was dying to try. It was a rare 25 year old Macallan, that is aged in seasoned oak Sherry Casks. It was $1000 a bottle and $100 an ounce. My new friend paid his bill and left, and Mike came from behind the bar with a special glass. He said we keep these glasses for special drinks and spent some time pollishing it perfectly before putting it down in front of me. He said tonight is your lucky night.. Our new friend just bought you an ounce of that Maccallon... It was by far, the finest Scotch I have ever tried. I enjoy a nice single malt, but I'm also perfectly happy drinking a blended Scotch. In fact quite often pick up a blended version called Monkey Shoulder. It has a goofy name, but it's quite smooth, and I have fooled some Scotch Snobs with it. I think when my current 12 year old Glenlivet is finished, I will be picking up a bottle of Woodford to try😊

Reactions: ABC and Dale124
If I may join the party.. Scotch is my passion drink. Its been a while since I had a Bourbon, and I think I'm due.. I think I just haven't found one I liked yet. I like to try different Scotches sometimes when I travel for business. A few years ago I did some work over a few weeks at the Royal York in TO. I got to know the bartender pretty good, and every night i would go down to the bar, and Mike would enthusiastically be waiting for me with a new list of Scotches he wanted me to try. One evening a young entrepreneur sat beside me at the bar, and was listening to Mike and I talk Scotch. He asked me some questions, and I pointed out some of their top shelf Scotches that were too expensive for me including the one I was dying to try. It was a rare 25 year old Macallan, that is aged in seasoned oak Sherry Casks. It was $1000 a bottle and $100 an ounce. My new friend paid his bill and left, and Mike came from behind the bar with a special glass. He said we keep these glasses for special drinks and spent some time pollishing it perfectly before putting it down in front of me. He said tonight is your lucky night.. Our new friend just bought you an ounce of that Maccallon... It was by far, the finest Scotch I have ever tried. I enjoy a nice single malt, but I'm also perfectly happy drinking a blended Scotch. In fact quite often pick up a blended version called Monkey Shoulder. It has a goofy name, but it's quite smooth, and I have fooled some Scotch Snobs with it. I think when my current 12 year old Glenlivet is finished, I will be picking up a bottle of Woodford to try😊
The Woodford double oaked reserve is a personal favourite. Buffalo Trace is another go to. Of course the holy grail of bourbon aficionados is Pappy Van Winkle. The one to find is the 23 year old. Good luck.

Welcome to a drink designed for those who identify as male and use the pronouns he/him and speak in short grunts. Typically these individuals also show a predilection to power tools, red meat, and rodeo. Some may spend a great deal of time fishing. Easily recognized by the odour of expensive cigars, diesel, and Old Spice.

Reactions: Monty06
arrow.jpg
Like he said... Actually exactly like he said.....lol.

I was also a scotch drinker many many years ago and also both liked and couldn't afford the good scotch as a daily drink... Woodfords was not head of here but my wife was at a conference in Lexington and toured the Woodfords distillery in Versailles. She brought me back a bottle and I was hooked. Took me two weeks harassing liquor outlets until I finally found one who would stock it for me. Been a follower ever since. Angels Envy is another favorite I had the opportunity to indulge in in Florida a couple years ago. I hear it has become available in Canada in the last year or so but haven't found it yet. Not an inexpensive bourbon but very tasty... :Biggrin:

... One evening a young entrepreneur sat beside me at the bar, and was listening to Mike and I talk Scotch. He asked me some questions, and I pointed out some of their top shelf Scotches that were too expensive for me including the one I was dying to try. It was a rare 25 year old Macallan, that is aged in seasoned oak Sherry Casks. It was $1000 a bottle and $100 an ounce. My new friend paid his bill and left, and Mike came from behind the bar with a special glass. He said we keep these glasses for special drinks and spent some time pollishing it perfectly before putting it down in front of me. He said tonight is your lucky night.. Our new friend just bought you an ounce of that Maccallon ...
I can relate and really like the action of that young entrepreneur :thumbs:
I'm an old one and will always "paying it forward"
even when times are not as great with this current
"covid budget" limiting me to the tab for
the coffees for the occupant(s) in the vehicle behind me at the
Tim's or Starbucks Drive-thrus. I find the gesture
can bring me good fortune and I hope it did for that
young entrepreneur. :Cheers2:

Alcohol evaporation is real.
Well this will likely explain a lot to some of you. I put my plow truck away yesterday and went through the normal routine. Gas stabilizer, battery tender, etc. etc. Cept this time I tossed in a container of gasoline antifreeze (basically methyl hydrate). I had about 6 of those little single use containers on a shelf for some time now and grabbed one. Hmmmm.... this feels light...gave it a shake,,, Nothing... popped the top and yup... the foil seal was still there and never opened but it was empty. Not one drop. So I grabbed another container, gave it a shake and it only had an inch or so in it. The third container was opened and it was full.

Then a realization came over me... The alcohol had just spontaneously evaporated in a sealed container on it's own. That realization also explains to me now, how I can open a 1.75 litre bottle of Woodfords, have a few days drinks from it, and then shortly thereafter I reach for the bottle and it is empty. I obviously don't drink as much as I thought. :angelic:

Alcohol evaporation is real.
Well this will likely explain a lot to some of you. I put my plow truck away yesterday and went through the normal routine. Gas stabilizer, battery tender, etc. etc. Cept this time I tossed in a container of gasoline antifreeze (basically methyl hydrate). I had about 6 of those little single use containers on a shelf for some time now and grabbed one. Hmmmm.... this feels light...gave it a shake,,, Nothing... popped the top and yup... the foil seal was still there and never opened but it was empty. Not one drop. So I grabbed another container, gave it a shake and it only had an inch or so in it. The third container was opened and it was full.

Then a realization came over me... The alcohol had just spontaneously evaporated in a sealed container on it's own. That realization also explains to me now, how I can open a 1.75 litre bottle of Woodfords, have a few days drinks from it, and then shortly thereafter I reach for the bottle and it is empty. I obviously don't drink as much as I thought. :angelic:
The same thing has been noticed (especially in this isolation era) of my 💰 Cardhu 🥃🤪👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread