Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Well... Since the topic of Bourbon has wormed it's way into a couple of mostly unrelated threads lately; Which pretty much can be blamed mainly on myself... Oh. Wait... and @Cariboocreek and @kerry4 .... ;), I thought it only appropriate to start this thread for the connoisseurs of life's blood, Kentucky Bourbon.

Then it occurred to me that there are likely a number of members who, although obviously appreciate the finer things in life (Corvettes), they may not as of yet discovered the nectar derived mainly from corn. (no... not biofuel).... BOURBON.

So therefore as the thread title indicates, this will be a forum dedicated to the members who enjoy sitting down after a day of work or play, and raising that glass to their lips for that first sip of your alcoholic beverage of choice...

Welcome! And Please Drink Responsibly.

Eric

PS. Thanks to John Lee Hooker for both his influence on my music and the title of this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Cruzin and kerry4
"If you Don't Start Drinking" you will never be told that
"You Talk Too Much" about it and just saying I'll have
"The Usual"
"When the Sky is Crying" and you can't drive your Corvette on the
"Blue Highway".

"I Drink Alone" and my
"Woman With The Blues" (actually Sterling Blue Metallic) tells me to
"Move It on Over” and
"Get a Haircut" and Get a Real Job.

... pretty sure I won't be considered as
"Born To Be Bad"
as I don't think I am derailing this thread ...
and if considered to be doing it, I'm just saying ...
don't tie a anchored rope and throw me to
"The Bottom of the Sea" because this Thread is titled
"One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and that might mean ...
"It wasn't Me"

🤘🏻😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RockyPM and kerry4
I was a scotch drinker for years and still enjoy scotch but I was spoiled by a friend who introduced me to $300.00 a bottle scotch. As I couldn't justify spending that on a disposable item like alcohol, I drank the store shelf standbys of Chivas, Glenfiddich, etc.
Many years ago my wife was heading to a Planning and Development conference in Kentucky so I went as well and bummed around the smoky mountains with a couple buddies. We drank their bourbon and although regular JB and JD is alright in a pinch,they are not my fav. When I got home and Brenda flew back a few days later, she had gone on a tour of a distillery in Versailles KY and brought me back a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon. I was hooked... It reminded me of expensive scotch.... but a bit cleaner taste and not overly smoky.... Now I had to find it here. It's relatively commonplace now but 20 years ago I searched every liquor store in Red Deer and got a dumb look in all except one. The owner said no, he'd never heard of it. As I turned to leave, he said wait and he would look to see if he could get it... Came back from the computer and said he could. I was ecstatic and said whatever amount he had to order, whether a case or whatever, I would give him a deposit for. He said no problem, he would stock it on the shelf for me. He earned a loyal customer that day. It's not cheap bourbon comparatively. A 750 of Woodford Reserve will run from about $44 to $52, but to me it's a great value and a great bourbon. I have also drank $200.00 bourbon but again, didn't knock my socks off and won't pay that for anything except a very special occasion.

Give Woodford a try. I think you might like it, being an occasional scotch drinker. If by chance you need to mix your drinks with coke or something, you may not appreciate bourbon any more than any other of the less expensive whiskies, but if you're a neat, rocks or even a splash of water guy you may just fall in love like I did.

Reactions: Dale124
I accept and take responsibility for my part in derailing any thread in which bourbon is or potentially will become a topic. Although I was only following.....lol

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is my “daily driver”. However Pappy Van Winkles 23 year old limited edition is the high mark. Tough to find in Canada and when it shows up it runs around $1500 a bottle. Blanton’s makes a nice libation and the “Straight from the Barrel” is extremely tasty. Again however that treat (last time I got one) ran around $500 for a bottle.

In Calgary, Willow Park Wine and Spirits is the place to go for higher end spirits.

Jim Beam and Wild Turkey are not drinkable and are better used as lighter fluid.

Bourbon is much like rye whiskey only smoother. I do find Jim Beams Devils Cut affordable and enjoyable and doesn't break the bank. Never did get used to Scotch but my wife enjoys it. She knows her drinks. Whether its wine ( her favourite ) or craft beers or Scotch.

I like Devils cut for a 'don't break the bank bourbon' as well. Pappys 23 at $1500 a bottle won't be on my drink list anytime soon, especially since the MSRP is only $299.00 US a bottle. $1500 is much like paying $300,000 for a C8...lmao... Blantons is good bourbon as well. I have been given several bottles of Blantons as an extra tip for guiding fisherman but don't see enough of an improvement to switch to a $100.00 a bottle from my Woodford. I keep the two emptys below mainly for the corks... $10.00 each on ebal.... Lol... Amazing what people try to sell...

1579481479693.png

blantons.jpg

Reactions: kerry4
One bourbon, one scotch, one beer. "George Thorogood". They are all good.
Some even say "Fireball" is good.
Yeah.... Not a big Fireball fan. Not really a rye whiskey fan at the best of times and when they mix anti-freeze (propylene glycol) as they do with fireball, I'm definitely not a fan....

And btw Dennis... Thorogood covered One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer... It isn't his song... He actually took both John Lee Hooker's ' House Rent Boogie' and 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' and combined them into a bit of a medley... Hair on him though. He made more money than Hooker ever saw in his lifetime...

Reactions: kerry4
I guess the old price of Pappys has gone up.....lol

Errrrr.... Waddingtons is an auction house... Much like buying a car from Barretts. Because you're a good guy, here's a tip from a fellow bourbon drinker... Buy from the source and save a ton.... ;)

Last edited:
.....except I don’t think you can’t get Pappy’s here in Canada unless through a dealer....

There is a bottle of 12 year old “B” lot on Toronto Kijiji for $1k.

Ouch...Good point... Surely you have friends south of the 49th? ... Or we can just keep drinking Woodfords....It's way better than drinking lysol or vanilla extract... lol...

I am surprised to see that our government run liquor stores have Woodford. I will be picking one up the next time I go to town. We pay more for alcohol here on the prairies. Woodford Double Oaked is $69.99.
I think I have tried that years ago but not sure. I will pick one up the next time I go to the in and out. :cool: ( Thats what my dad used to call it, the in and out store).

• Haha
Reactions: Bixter44
I don’t mind a good rye. Gibson’s 18 year old or similar. Good whiskeys should stand alone on their own with either a bit of ice or a splash of water.
When you said a splash of water it brought back a funny memory to me. When us young teens used to get together, I think were were around 14 or maybe younger but definitely not old enough to drink. One of my friends had very rich parents. His dad was an aerospace executive. So he had a huge well stock liquor cabinet. When the parents were away several of us would go to his house and get into the cabinet. So the kid who lived there was a bit paranoid that his dad would know someone had been into his cabinet. So we had the bright idea of taking some out of a few different bottles and then replacing what we took with water. Never get caught. But one time his sister caught us. She held that over his head for a long time that if he didn't treat her nice she would tell dad. I think about it now and still have a chuckle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin

Users who are viewing this thread