Oh ... WoW ... found something in the very back of my bar cabinet. It has to have been placed there by my 😇 Dad 🙏🏻 up to as many as 20 years ago ... still in box ... looks like I’ve got something to enjoy on Robbie Burns Day 🤪 very classic label on this bottle 👍🏻

View attachment 35634View attachment 35635
My wife knows her scotch and says thats a good one. :cool:

Reactions: YFCvii
I am a single malt guy on a regular basis. But did acquire an appreciation of Bourbon on a road trip we did down to Nashville and Memphis. We stopped at the Jim Beam Distillery on the way down. Also hit the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green too. Jim Beam produced a great many brands. I liked the woodford for sure but My favorite was one called Basil Hayden.
1579789615659.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a single malt guy on a regular basis. But did acquire an appreciation of Bourbon on a road trip we did down to Nashville and Memphis. We stopped at the Jim Beam Distillery on the way down. Also hit the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green too. Jim Beam produced a great many brands. I liked the woodford for sure but My favorite was one called Basil Hayden. View attachment 35653

Although not a regular Jim Beam fan, I have drank Knob Creek and Booker from Kentucky Springs but have never tried the Basil Haydens. Knob creek, between the two I like better. Booker, although an expensive bourbon comparatively, doesn't do it for me. It's fine once in a while but my palette still prefers Woodford Reserve. Of course everyone has their little idiosyncrasy taste preferences...lol...

Although not a regular Jim Beam fan, I have drank Knob Creek and Booker from Kentucky Springs but have never tried the Basil Haydens. Knob creek, between the two I like better. Booker, although an expensive bourbon comparatively, doesn't do it for me. It's fine once in a while but my palette still prefers Woodford Reserve. Of course everyone has their little idiosyncrasy taste preferences...lol...
I am not a Bookers fan. I am a regular partaker in Basil Hayden’s. Like you Woodfords is a regular go to. Still haven’t really acquired a taste for Bullit.
7EFE8F2A-8124-4CF3-AB6D-52C70F11199C.jpeg

Oh yeah.... steal my lines too.... Be careful or next time a shopping bag flies out of my car it will have an empty Knob Creek bottle in it.... :rofl:

Since Bourbon has overtaken my coffee intake these past few days in quarantine, I thought it was time to revive this thread with a release of the top 15 bourbons according to business insider... I am happy to see that my Woodfords distillery has made the list... 1 more minute to bourbon time.... lol:drunkbig:

Since we're on the subject Randy... and your high regard comparison of me with movie stars and recording artists....here's another of my GT favorites

I have and always will be a 'neat' single-malt "Scotch Guy"... paired with chocolate or a nice cigar poolside during the Spring-Summer and in the heated "Garagemahal" during the Fall-Winter... or year round during poker nights with buds lol. I've just recently dipped into some Cognac tastings with friends but have yet to try Bourbon, any recommendations?

Beware Toronto area Scotch drinkers, I'd recommend staying away from "The Feathers Pub" ( The Feathers > Home ) unless you don't mind spending afew hundred $$$ per sitting.... money well wasted IMO as I'm a regular lol

Last edited:
I have and always will be a 'neat' single-malt "Scotch Guy"... paired with chocolate or a nice cigar poolside during the Spring-Summer and in the heated "Garagemahal" during the Fall-Winter... or year round during poker nights with buds lol. I've just recently dipped into some Cognac tastings with friends but have yet to try Bourbon, any recommendations?

Beware Toronto area Scotch drinkers, I'd recommend staying away from "The Feathers Pub" (The Feathers > Home) unless you don't mind spending afew hundred $$$ per sitting.... money well wasted IMO as I'm a regular lol

Easy one. With chocolate, Woodfords Reserve Double Oaked... For everyday just having a nightcap or three, Woodfords Reserve regular. I'm reprinting my earlier post from this thread for you in the interest of sharing the Woodfords Bourbon exquisite taste.... :Cheers2:

I was a scotch drinker for years and still enjoy scotch but I was spoiled by a friend who introduced me to $300.00 a bottle scotch. As I couldn't justify spending that on a disposable item like alcohol, I drank the store shelf standbys of Chivas, Glenfiddich, etc.
Many years ago my wife was heading to a Planning and Development conference in Kentucky so I went as well and bummed around the smoky mountains with a couple buddies. We drank their bourbon and although regular JB and JD is alright in a pinch,they are not my fav. When I got home and Brenda flew back a few days later, she had gone on a tour of a distillery in Versailles KY and brought me back a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon. I was hooked... It reminded me of expensive scotch.... but a bit cleaner taste and not overly smoky.... Now I had to find it here. It's relatively commonplace now but 20 years ago I searched every liquor store in Red Deer and got a dumb look in all except one. The owner said no, he'd never heard of it. As I turned to leave, he said wait and he would look to see if he could get it... Came back from the computer and said he could. I was ecstatic and said whatever amount he had to order, whether a case or whatever, I would give him a deposit for. He said no problem, he would stock it on the shelf for me. He earned a loyal customer that day. It's not cheap bourbon comparatively. A 750 of Woodford Reserve will run from about $44 to $52, but to me it's a great value and a great bourbon. I have also drank $200.00 bourbon but again, didn't knock my socks off and won't pay that for anything except a very special occasion.

Give Woodford a try. I think you might like it, being an occasional scotch drinker. If by chance you need to mix your drinks with coke or something, you may not appreciate bourbon any more than any other of the less expensive whiskies, but if you're a neat, rocks or even a splash of water guy you may just fall in love like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread