Hey Garry! Funny that the guy is willing to have the cabinet take up space at his place for $5. When I sell stuff on Kijiji, I just want it gone. I don't like the low ballers who offer half, but $120 is pretty fair.
Glad to hear their using the good stuff on you, not the cheap crap that only costs $10,000 a sitting. :D Man the drug companies are making a ton o cash off of drugs. I wonder how much money will funnel into the system when marijuana finally hits the streets!
Anyway, in this case, it's money very well spent and now you can sleep well just listening to the tumors melting away.

First of all I have to tell you that I've been really moved by those that have PM'ed me about my situation. A finer group of people I can't say I've encountered especially as most of you I've never met )yet I hope).

I don't really have a much of an update to share. I had the 4th treatment on Tuesday. Turns out that the treatment has sort of messed up my thyroid so I have take something for that. It explains why I was feeling so tired. I had just been blaming it on my age and that I have been ramping up the distance I walk into the 13-15 km range daily as the end of the year approaches to get as high as possible and average for the year (12.15 km so far!). Minor though and it will go back to normal once treatment stops.

This will be the last treatment too unless they recommend continuing with it in the New Year, that is up in the air right now. The plus is that while this is a fairly new treatment, its earlier form, almost a sister chemistry, is known for being slow acting. They had people who were getting it and after 3 months they stopped as it was not appearing to do anything. Then at the six month mark the tumors started to shrink. So never say never is the message I'm taking from this.

Anyway, they seem to be in agreement that currently there appears to be no sign of action on the three tumors we knew about getting smaller. To add to that they agree that there are at least four new ones.

Now thankfully they are on the area between my elbow and wrist. If they have to appear on my arm I'd rather have them moving away from my shoulder than closer to it!! The fear always being that I only hit serious problems if the tumors move into my torso. Thus the reason for the upcoming PET/CT scan on the 20th. To try to see the extend the tumors have populated my left arm and if they are anywhere else.

The reality of the situation hits home when they don't necessarily discuss mortality but the word amputation comes up inpolite conversation. And ya, I know that being armless is probably marginally preferable to being lifeless, don't me wrong.

I find myself thinking a lot about this recently, probably not when I should be, about trying to put my wrist watch on or tying my shoelaces one handed. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, this decision could be a long way off yet if at all.

And to be honest if I had to choose I think I'd rather lose an arm than a leg. But I'd sort of bummed that I may have to give up my model building hobby that I have loved my entire life. I mean I'm a poor enough model builder with two hands as it is!!

But, a plus, maybe I can justify transitioning to a A8 car................!! A Zora...............? I wonder, as I expect the paddles are right and left sided, if I can get one one on the right side to go up and down through the gears............something to console myself with.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any better or more concrete news to share. I'll have news on the 21st though. The test is at 8am and then I see the team two hours later for the results.

Cheers,

Garry

Garry, thanks for posting this news, because you have indeed been on my mind. You are a brave guy on a number of fronts.

At this point all you can do is wait, which I know is tough, and hope for the best. Interesting on the bodies reaction to the drugs and how it can take time to show their effectiveness. I think it is fair to say collectively we hope that is the case with your situation and treatments.

Although a week few weeks away I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year. Positive thoughts, they can make a difference.

Stay strong Garry.:thumbs:

Murray

First of all I have to tell you that I've been really moved by those that have PM'ed me about my situation. A finer group of people I can't say I've encountered especially as most of you I've never met )yet I hope).

I don't really have a much of an update to share. I had the 4th treatment on Tuesday. Turns out that the treatment has sort of messed up my thyroid so I have take something for that. It explains why I was feeling so tired. I had just been blaming it on my age and that I have been ramping up the distance I walk into the 13-15 km range daily as the end of the year approaches to get as high as possible and average for the year (12.15 km so far!). Minor though and it will go back to normal once treatment stops.

This will be the last treatment too unless they recommend continuing with it in the New Year, that is up in the air right now. The plus is that while this is a fairly new treatment, its earlier form, almost a sister chemistry, is known for being slow acting. They had people who were getting it and after 3 months they stopped as it was not appearing to do anything. Then at the six month mark the tumors started to shrink. So never say never is the message I'm taking from this.

Anyway, they seem to be in agreement that currently there appears to be no sign of action on the three tumors we knew about getting smaller. To add to that they agree that there are at least four new ones.

Now thankfully they are on the area between my elbow and wrist. If they have to appear on my arm I'd rather have them moving away from my shoulder than closer to it!! The fear always being that I only hit serious problems if the tumors move into my torso. Thus the reason for the upcoming PET/CT scan on the 20th. To try to see the extend the tumors have populated my left arm and if they are anywhere else.

The reality of the situation hits home when they don't necessarily discuss mortality but the word amputation comes up inpolite conversation. And ya, I know that being armless is probably marginally preferable to being lifeless, don't me wrong.

I find myself thinking a lot about this recently, probably not when I should be, about trying to put my wrist watch on or tying my shoelaces one handed. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, this decision could be a long way off yet if at all.

And to be honest if I had to choose I think I'd rather lose an arm than a leg. But I'd sort of bummed that I may have to give up my model building hobby that I have loved my entire life. I mean I'm a poor enough model builder with two hands as it is!!

But, a plus, maybe I can justify transitioning to a A8 car................!! A Zora...............? I wonder, as I expect the paddles are right and left sided, if I can get one one on the right side to go up and down through the gears............something to console myself with.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any better or more concrete news to share. I'll have news on the 21st though. The test is at 8am and then I see the team two hours later for the results.

Cheers,

Garry

Been wondering how you’ve been doing Garry. Sounds like your treatments have been inconclusive in short term effectiveness but may demonstrate a reaction Later.
The 4 new tumors developing certainly makes the effectiveness of the treatments questionable.
You are an inspiration Garry. You attitude and determination are a sobering example to all of us.
Now as before my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery... one where you can still drive the manual. If you do end up driving the automatic... yes the paddle shifters are nicely located.

We will be meeting you next summer on the MITM cruise.
Cheers,
Derek.

Good Day Garry !
Very much appreciate hearing from you.
:)

True story ...
I went to my Doctor about a month ago - complaining about ringing in my ears :nurse:.
Was told that it can be common for old guys.
A family member told me that there's an old wives' tale that ringing ears means someone is talking (thinking) about you.
My focus on my own ears dropped right away and I thought, holy crap, :eek: Garry's ears must be ringing constantly ...
If this old wives tale is true, I speak on behalf of all of us that we very much apologize for the ringing in your ears Garry :Shy:.
You are fondly thought of and you do come up in conversation...
inspirationally wondering ...
"How is Garry doing?" :Confused5:

Please enjoy the Best of this Christmas Season Garry,
knowing of many Wishes for you having an awesome 2018
for it to be promising and a whole lot better.
... along with hope for many "corvette chances" to meet up with you.

Spence :thumbs:

old wives tale side note:
it's out of character for me to self-focus like this...
however, I am campaigning to stop thinking about me :Nono1:
then thinking myself, wondering who's doing this?
... then knowing I'm now causing another person's ears to ring :Rage:
... the ear ringing can be very annoying eh?
;)

Last edited:
Hi Garry.... Good to hear from you. I looked back and it's been 3 weeks already since we talked. The waiting game is always a frustrating one my friend but I'm a true believer in the power of positive thinking and you are right on the mark in that regard. Keep us up to date as Spence is correct; members ask about you often.
And if the arm does have to be docked, you would be surprised what you can teach yourself to do. My grandfather lost an arm in a farming accident and I use to marvel watching him roll cigarettes.. Your model building skills just may improve... ;)

I assume you have been getting the milder weather in Fairview. I was in Edmonton a couple weeks ago and was surprised that they had much more snow than Red Deer. We are on a two week blitz of mild weather here and it looks like it's not going to end anytime soon either... woohoo.... Suppose to be +6 or better all next week..... hmmmmmm..... Yes....It's tempting me but my 500 metres of ice driveway is holding me back...lol....

Have a great Christmas Garry. All our best to you and all your loved ones.

Eric

Good morning one and all,

So back from Edmonton.

So the test. Well that was easy. I walked to the clinic, they plumbed me up and put me in a room to rest and be calm for an hour, gave me my contrast drink and then off to meet Dr. Walker.

Dr. Walker was 1 hour and 45 minutes late! I was really fuming actually. Inexcusable not to notify a patient of a delay like this, I could have both exercised more as I only had in 6 km at that point plus it now meant that we’d be driving in the dark which I don’t like in winter and arriving later in the day.

So the results. Well, inconclusive. I don’t have the genetic mutation so there are no other chemical treatments available outside of the Pembro.

The Pembro just didn’t make my thyroid act up it actually destroyed it so I’ll be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life, minor I know but I didn’t understand this from the doctor in Grande Prairie on the 4th. GP actually called that morning and want me to go for blood work on Friday, I was confused as I had not met with Dr. Walker yet but I am thinking that it is to see how my thyroid level is doing with the drug and to adjust the dosage.

Anyway, the scan in my torso is clean which is great news. But nothing seems to be happening with the Pembro treatment. Amputation is discussed, it would be at the shoulder so the complete left arm. I also don’t have that genetic mutation so all other treatments are not available to me either. We talked about the chance that we should give the Pembro more time, 3 months, 4 more treatments. Also that Dr. Salopek could try to boost it with some direct tumor injections of Interluken 2 which would have to be in Edmonton but it just takes a few minutes.

So he is going to talk with his team and get back to me tomorrow apparently.

We wait. The benefit, the treatment starts to show signs of working and no amputation. The risk, though it hasn’t spread yet it could and then I’m done for……….apparently no surgery, zippo they could do.

Otherwise we wait three months and if nothing improves, we rescan me, if my torso is still clean then it is immediate full arm amputation.

And yes, I know that I could take the sure thing, have the amputation now and be done with things. But we all live in hope, right?

Oddly I find myself worrying about the stupidest of things. Not being able to full accelerate the Z06 anymore, you need one arm on the steering wheel for the 1 -2 shift as it gets so squirrelly. Not being able to continue with my model building. Not being able to tie my shoelaces, put on my wrist watch or pick up my cat. I can't shovel snow or grain. How to floss my teeth (not that I do much of that now anyway!), swinging from the rope at the pool, clapping my hands when I'm happy, playing XBox game with my son. Not buying a RHS Japanese import (ya no laughing here please) with with a manual transmission.

But I'd be alive. I'd consider it to be another adventure in my life and that it would, if it saved my life, give me maybe 40 or 50 years to go. Luckily I would be that this didn't occur any earlier in my life that that for 1/2 my life I was full-limbed...................

My reality!

My solution for the moment, I bought an antique solid gold 14 k mens watch, a Primato, very elegant and not garish, probably from the 1970's. About 60 grams gold in total. It doesn't fit my left arm where I currently wear my watch and can not be adjusted more due to the unusual mesh band it has, but it does fit my right arm which would become my watch arm if I had to go the amputation route! So I figured what the heck, treat myself here. But I also could have bought some skookum nice new rims for the Z06 though.........!

Thanks again for giving me a place to decompress, you guys are all just the best...................

Cheers,

Garry

Garry, had to go back and read this a second time, not easy to read so I cannot imagine how tough it is for you to write about it.

Options and weighing them must be tough. I admire your spirit and resilience.

Merry Christmas Garry to you and your family. My thoughts will be with you.

Well, if that isn't a dilemma Garry, I'm not sure what is. That would be a tough choice full of what ifs.

I am SUPER glad to hear the torso scan came out clean. That is great news. It's just tough to hear you have this decision ahead of you. Our thoughts are with you always. I would like to type more but have to run. In the mean time though, we'll be thinking of you.

Garry. As much as the drug maybe not working and the possibility of the amputation option sounding negative, I can't help but look at the positive. Brenda (my better half) is a cancer survivor and after the initial diagnosis, there was no option for anything other than surgery. Numerous tests and lymph node biopsies after that finally confirmed the cancer hadn't spread and she has now been clean for nearly 20 years. So my friend, a post telling us the drug was already working at shrinking the tumors would have been spectacular news, but the news that the cancer hasn't spread into the rest of your body, and you still have positive options is great news to me. I love your reference to your options as another adventure in life as that is exactly what it is. And I'm sure you will find a way to do the majority of those minor things you are worrying about, should removing the arm be the necessary path. Merry Christmas Garry to you and your family. As always, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks again for giving me a place to decompress, you guys are all just the best ..
Cheers, Garry

Hello Garry,
Of what one can even think to offer, it appears that the last line in your message summarizes one of your significant needs.
Although it may often go without saying, it is important that you know that when you "decompress" here, you are being heard.

Sending you wishes for the Best of what this Christmas Season and New Year can offer you.
Coming from coping with a few of my own personal experiences, it is with a respect of not comparing to yours
that I hope you are able to find the best of what you can with any worse case scenario.
I will hold thoughts of optimism for you in achieving success with each card being dealt on the table.

Last edited:
Good morning one and all,

A good 10 km walk this morning helps to give me the perspective to find a shorter way to think of things.

Thanks for the boost this morning!

They do move fast, I have to give them that. While the first 4 treatments ended on the 4th and my next one would have been on the 25th, of course due to the holidays that doesn't work out but they called actually yesterday when I was on my way home to say that #5 will be on Dec 28th so yet again they don't really piss around.

And while I'm annoyed that the treatment so far to date only seems to have accomplished the destruction of my thyroid gland so I'm stuck taking pills for that forever, well I'm already taking vitamins daily after stomach surgery like 6 years ago and that doesn't seem to bother me so why should this now?

The situation is clear to me as I reflect upon it.

1)The treatment after 4 more rounds with or without the interluken 2 works.

2)If not and assuming the cancer hasn't spread then we amputate immediately.

3)life goes on, I continue to farm, make scads of money and get a (hopefully) A10 C8! Or a modded A8 C7 ZR1 for my pity purchase!!

I'm sure I will even be able to find some way of building a model tank and if I can't oh well, I can still read all my tank books which gives me so much joy. I'll still be able to go walking all the time and possibly run, I know there are one armed runners and so I just have to work the balance thing out.

It is a simple situation really, I just have to see how things play out over the next three months and take one of the two forks in the road...................

Death is always less preferable!!

Cheers,

Garry

Oh Riley!

You'd be happy to know that when I talk with people about having to have my left arm amputated I tell them "at least my right hand is the one I write and "self-pleasure" with"!!!!!!

I know if it comes to it I can probably be put in contact with people to learn about the "challenges" that I'll have to challenge, tying my shoelaces tight for running (no velcro is tight enough yet). Or being able to build my model tanks, I mean I'm slow enough at that as it already is, how do I cut the parts off the sprue, clean them and then hold the parts together and glue them? Well people paint with their mouths so maybe I'll have to become proficient at that.

Walking which I love to do so much won't be a problem but I am not as sure about running. And yes if you'd been here the past while you'd see me running with my left arm behind my back trying to see what it might be like for balance and rhythm.

I wonder about cutting meat on my plate but maybe I'll have to use the turkey carving knife and do it all at once?

How will I change the gears on my road racing bike that I finally bought last year? I wonder how many times I'm going to crash full tilt losing my balance??

I hope that in my life I have always been one to try to look for solutions and not problems. I mean just being alive to look for solutions to these most "major" problems that I'd encounter in my life being one handed - what value that I ask??

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann
Well, this is going to be awkward the next time we meet and shake hands. :p

One thing I like is how you’re facing the added challenges, thinking of solutions to your everyday tasks and starting to problem solve. Nessesity is the mother of invention so it’ll be interesting (God forbid you need to) see you come up with foot operated vices for holding tank parts, a shoelace tightening system, and putting both gear changers on one side of your bike.

But, that is still a what if and we’re all rooting that you’ll be shifting gears for a long time.

Reactions: ddgermann
Good afternoon Riley,

Oh? You're the urban myth one guy who doesn't?! LOL!

Sort of like when I asked a woman I know if she used a vibrator......she said no but all her friends did. I asked her friend and got the same reply. That was an enlightening experience......................

I find it so funny, we all do it but it still carries a taboo.

I have thought it might be possible to add both gear changer levers to the same side but the bike has those cool twisting of the brake handles to go up and down so I'm not sure yet how to tackle it. Mostly likely have to Google it as someone has already overcome this challenge I'm sure, as with the shoelaces and everything else I am contemplating will prove to difficult, people are resourceful and I am not going to be the first person to go down this road.

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Good afternoon Riley,

Oh? You're the urban myth one guy who doesn't?! LOL!

Sort of like when I asked a woman I know if she used a vibrator......she said no but all her friends did. I asked her friend and got the same reply. That was an enlightening experience......................

I find it so funny, we all do it but it still carries a taboo.

I have thought it might be possible to add both gear changer levers to the same side but the bike has those cool twisting of the brake handles to go up and down so I'm not sure yet how to tackle it. Mostly likely have to Google it as someone has already overcome this challenge I'm sure, as with the shoelaces and everything else I am contemplating will prove to difficult, people are resourceful and I am not going to be the first person to go down this road.

Cheers,

Garry

Garry I’m very impressed by how well you have considered and prioritized the challenges you may face when dealing with this. Your list of RH vs LH duties is likely the most honest one I have ever seen. ;)
With that said I do admire your courage and how you are facing this situation.
I hope to meet you in the summer and shake your Left hand! But if that’s not possible I will gladly shake your right hand.
These days you can probably put a voice activated shifting system on your bike. You may have to change your Z06 to a C7 ZR1 with the A8 though. Ya.... bummer. NOT
I like many others here are I am thinking of you Garry (was going to say “pulling for you” but that cliche can never be used again in this conversation).
Keep charging forward pal.

Derek.

Last edited:
I find that I get a great deal of perspective on my life through this experience. Oh so many others have not been as lucky as I even find myself right now. I remember my first experience with cancer and at that time reading an article in the Edmonton Journal in the weekly auto section about the writers father who was dying of cancer and his dream was to own a Solstice or a Sky. The car finally arrived but he was no longer well enough to drive it so his son took him for drives until he died a week later and I just remember bawling my eyes out.

My situation is somewhat less negative. Unless it spreads it is just a case of losing the arm. While I know it will be devastating it still does not eliminate the final outcome in that hey - I am alive! I will be able to still do so so many of the things that I enjoy doing right now. There will even be, oddly positive things I am going to gain. I hate, as minor as it might seem, that I have suffered from lymphodema in my left arm for some 6 years now. If I drive for more than two hours my arm swells up like a sausage so that I can't even bend my arm at the elbow so that I can touch my shoulder with my fingers.

I have such an overwhelming degree of boundy in my life, things to be thankful for that maybe losing an arm is a rebalancing of my life so that I am not so strongly into the positive side of things. I know it sounds odd but lets face it.

1)I beat cancer once already when I should not have. I really should have died 10 years ago.
2)I was able to semi-retire at 47 and spend all my time on my daily activities, my son, family, hobbies and farm. Six years of doing things my way according to my schedule and wishes. How many have that blessing in their lives?
3)I have a 850 hp dream car

So if in the end I have to make a few adjustments I am resilient and I am going to deal with, persevere and I will flourish once again. Sort of like the phoenix I will arise from the ashes of an amputation better and stronger than I was before.

One truth I have known for some time is this. The relief of not having to think about cancer possibly killing me day in, day out, if I do have the arm amputated, is going to be worth it to know my health is once again solid and I don't have to think about my son continuing to grow up without his father. Really, trading an arm for that piece of mind seems like a pretty good tradeoff in my books......................plus I'll lose the 10 pounds that I have been struggling with LOL!

Cheers,

Garry

Garry, Garry you must be the head of a local biker gang, you are one tough guy.:Biggrin:

With the advancements in prosthetics you may be able to cut and glue those model tanks for a long time to come.

Amazed at the thought process when something like, cancer for certain, tries to kick you down.

Thoughts with you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.