RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Gentlemen,

So yesterday I was in my kitchen and I noticed my neighbours' garage door open and spied what appeared to be a green Dodge car, a Challenger, much to my surprise.

This afternoon it was in the driveway and I noticed that it had the Cat emblem face on the front side fenders and so realized that it is one of the two Hellcats that the local dealer had. I can kind of see it, a sticker price of 85K I think it was. Plus the best that the GM dealer brings in is a blue Camaro..................

It made me nervous at first, but I'm not sure I have reason to be. A stock C6 Z06 would only be a titch slower to 60 mph (3.7 vs 3.8) and maybe 1/10th of a second slower on the 1/4 mile.

Could/can I at least in my mind still feel confident that the additional 350 or so hp that Manny gave me mean that I can still keep thinking that I have Fairview's fastest street legal car?????

I mean 707 hp is certainly lots but those skinny 275 mm rear tires along with a curb weight of close to 4500 lb should mean that unless I was totally asleep at the wheel I'd eat him for breakfast.................

Am I crazy to be thinking this???????

Cheers,

Garry

As Bob " Hurricane " Hannah once uttered,"When in doubt,gas it."

Myself,I think you'll be fine. You also got time in your Vette over him in that tank so that'll contribute to your confidence.

PS... how many beans you got in yours ? If that's not to much to ask.

I would imagine that he has an automatic as well in the Challenger. I'm not the fastest shifter and it is not unknown for my to miss 3rd and to go into 5th!

Manny messaged it to 774 rwhp, 850 or so engine hp.

But I give him credit, he is a Dodge guy and married with a 15 or 16 year old daughter. So hats off to him treating himself................

I'm almost done with harvest this year but please feel free to come north in 2018 and I can set you up!

Hummm. Combining experience for a better 1/4 mile time, who'd guessed!

He has put his car away I think. He might have been adding more locks to his garage doors this afternoon.....................

I'm not sure why it threw me so much either. I knew the dealer had two of these cars after all. At least there was no Demon, that would have given me the shakes. And this year too without surplus $ to send the car to Manny for upgrades either. Fairview's 2nd fastest car just doesn't carry the same ring to it.

Wow you have a seriously fast car there. I would not worry. 774 RHP haha. He will be quickly in the rear view mirror then completely disappear after the first corner.
I grew up driving combines... started out on the ones with no cab let alone a stereo. Kind of miss that. Well the one with the stereo. :)

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I'm not sure if you're serious or not...1. Are you really that concerned about being the fastest car in your neighbourhood? and 2. You have a 200hp advantage in a lighter car... That's like a Mustang GT vs. C7 Z06 difference.

On the other hand, I'd say once you get in a cars over 500hp, it's a drivers race, unless you're on a 1 mile track...

Wow, combines with no cabs. I do remember them on my Grandmother's farm when I was maybe 7 or 8 before we moved out to the farm. Probably John Deere 95's. But otherwise they had cabs, JD 105 and JD 730 and then newer from there. Memories!

Yeah. What can I say. Who didn't look at the guy with the fastest car in town when you were in high school and envy him? The guy usually with all the girls after him. I've now got both my girl and the fastest car in town, I just had to wait 30 years!.

It does give me a big smile when kids come running up to me in town when I'm driving by to yell at me how much they like it etc. Even my son was out for a walk on Friday night and some kids at the basketball court told him how much they like my car as he went walking by. Makes my son feel good and when he tells me it makes me feel good.

So ya, I do like the knowledge that I do have the fastest car in this area, I'd be lying. And especially a car as nice as a Corvette too.

But a good point, when you're talking about maybe a 2 or 3 or 4 10th advantage in the 1/4 mile, driver skill and a bit of luck can sometimes make up for a 150 hp 1400 lb advantage.................

Just remember this is town where I overheard a group of guys talking about how "sick" this guys truck sounded when he hit the throttle. I sighed to myself and almost told them to wait for a few minutes so I could bring my car and blip the throttle for them so they could hear what "sick" really is. I remember when Manny did that for me when I arrived to see my car, it gave me a thrill then and it still does now.

Best $ invested at Manny's...............after buying the car of course.

Well ... having been asked that question when I first bought my Stingray, I thought about it a lot.
I could live with myself having nothing to really prove, after all it's the other guy without the Corvette.
If too much to bear any longer, I would arrange to lineup at a straight highway heading out of town. o_O
Ready ... Set ... Go ! Off he goes like a Race Horse from the Gate ... you just stay put ... and there you will be ...
"the fastest street legal car still in Fairview" ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're serious or not...1. Are you really that concerned about being the fastest car in your neighbourhood?...

Lol. Some like to have the loudest stereo. Some like to have fuzzy dice hanging from their mirror. I know for a fact I have the fastest car..... on my street !! Nothing wrong with wondering. Or wondering out loud for that matter.

After some more thought. With all that power and puny 275s. By the time they stop spinning youll have enough time to reply to my reply to your reply.... Tomorrow morning.

The following morning and I am less focused on it outside of a matter of curiosity. Like any other "record holder" it is only a matter of time before someone with more $ and a goal to have a fast car comes along and usurps me. I can always take solace in that situation (when it comes!) that I did have the fastest car for x number of years.

That was a funny suggestion too, I really had a chuckle over that.

I've often wondered as well how they are able to run that sort of power with 275's and to generate a decent 1/4 time. I think the stock Z06 has 325's and Manny had recommended that it was time to replace my tires and we went with 345's. Even with that I can (with my poor driving skills) still get the rear end to break out in 2nd gear..................

Reactions: MikeysZ06
The following morning and I am less focused on it outside of a matter of curiosity. Like any other "record holder" it is only a matter of time before someone with more $ and a goal to have a fast car comes along and usurps me. I can always take solace in that situation (when it comes!) that I did have the fastest car for x number of years.

That was a funny suggestion too, I really had a chuckle over that.

I've often wondered as well how they are able to run that sort of power with 275's and to generate a decent 1/4 time. I think the stock Z06 has 325's and Manny had recommended that it was time to replace my tires and we went with 345's. Even with that I can (with my poor driving skills) still get the rear end to break out in 2nd gear..................

Wait till that happens in 3rd... gets your attention pronto. ;)

Good afternoon Derek,

I'll bet it would!

After I shift into 3rd I'm usually starting to think about what could happen to me if things go south. Having had a blown tire, the stability control act up and activate one side rear brake while going down the highway, I tend to enjoy acceleration in the first two gears but my age, reflexes and watching too many YouTube videos of cars going out of control I'm glad that I exercised the demon (a bit anyway) for flatout speed out of me. Sure I'd be lying if I said I still didn't get a kick out of chirping the tires but I usually back out right away. Rubber be expensive as my gf likes to remind me! I just have the thought that with 300 km runs you end up covering a mile in 20 seconds rather than 60..............and if you need to stop or avoid something, well an activity best left to a younger demographic with better reflexes.

I'll try to just bask in the thought of I could give that car a spanking if I ever needed to.

Cheers,

Garry

I can't imagine what 750+ RWHP would be like. For me,in third at 4000 rpms,I'm moving forward fast ! Like really fast. Into 4th and I'm backing off at 4500. I'm just going to fast man !! And,I need my license for my job. I honestly can say that this car has my utmost respect at all times. It's a whole different animal than my 350 hp 07 Wrx sti.

Yes Garry YouTube has likely saved many Corvettes from inevitable destruction and countless people are safer in and around them because of owners watching the vids.
I'm just glad I didn't have the car I have now when I was an indestructible kid. No YouTube back then either. (Back when the rocks were still warm)
Funny thing about having the fastest car in town and being responsible enough to control the need to push it too far. Which you can do quick and easy with your Corvette.
Kind of a paradox but a healthy one... :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry about it too much there Garry. Your power to weight ratio more than destroys any chance that he has. Even with a serious driver in the Hellkitty, you'd have to make some pretty bad errors to not go around him at will.

I ran a Hellcat Charger with a pulley swap and slicks last summer, and I was on Nitto Invo street tires. My LS2 is not stock by any means, but I do not have forced induction and make significantly less power than your car does. Here was the result:

Of course with all that said, everything is different on the street. As G-Force said, anything over 500hp is a drivers' race, and my video is proof of that.

I can't think of any better way I could have started my morning than by watching that video! Just the sort of confidence builder I needed to see. I know my hp/weight ratio is so much better but as I said I'm not the best shifter and I'd assume that the neighbours Hellcat is like 95% of cars sold in North America, an automatic. Thus all he has to do is control the throttle and steer in a straight line. I have 2, possibly 3 gear shifts to make, if I hit my 2nd to 3rd I'm sure there would be no competition.

So while you don't have forced air, do you know what your rwhp is???

Cheers,

Garry

Of course there is always the other side of the story…..

Garry's Neighbour and his Buddy talking in the garage

Neighbour….You know this new guy moved into town, farmer I think, lives right across the street. No one seems to know much about this guy but he has a Corvette, one of those hey look at me bright yellow ones. Doesn't drive it much but he is always running, it is just weird.

Buddy….Those cars are just a flash in the pan nothing like your machine.

Neighbour….I know but even the kids in town seem to feel it, there is a challenger to the fastest car in this town. It is really starting to get to me.

Neighbour….Heard him start it before, always late at night like he is sending a message. Putting the pressure on me to back up my standing in town. I tell you it is getting to me. People are starting to look at me in a strange way, people are starting to question my status.

Buddy….Ya but if it is a manual maybe he can't shift it. Lots of those old combine drivers around and not many can shift a high powered car so well.

Neighbour….No I have heard it at night, he shifts the thing about eight grand and it is like fluid I tell you, so smooth like those old Super Stock racers back in the day banging through the gears. Although I did hear him bobble a second to third one night but I think he was just trying to psych me out. No no that guy can shift, maybe he was trying something new.

Buddy….You are running out of options what are you going to do? Your wife said something to mine about you being miserable these days and can't sleep.

Neighbour….Don't know but I heard about this place in Ontario that could modify my car, I am thinking of sending it there. I know I know I need help but the guy has really gotten to me, feel so inadequate. The only other thing to do is move, maybe Wollerton.

Buddy….My god you can't go there, they hate us, spit every time our town is mentioned, they would never accept you. I heard there is a really fast car there as well.

Neighbour….I just don't know what to do. No idea

Buddy….Why don't you go on the forum and ask for some thoughts from those guys, it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.