I am lucky to have the support of so many good people with such great taste in cars!

OK, here is what I think is possible.

1) There is a standard immunotherapy treatment effective 50% of the time.

2) There is a clinical study I can go in which adds a 2nd drug that takes it to 70% effective.

However, there is only a 50% chance that I would be getting the 2nd drug as this is a blind study and the patients are assigned randomly to get the study so I don't know if I'm actually getting the 2nd drug.

Plus there is a whole bunch of pretesting each time you go in for treatment which is 2 weeks for the first 2 months and then every 3 weeks for the next 4 months. Blood work, CT scans etc. That takes two days as you have to have the test one day and the treatment the next. I live 6 hours away so it would be 3 or 4 days of time. I really don't want that sort of disruption on my life and my parenting of my son. not that dying isn't a disruption but you know what I mean. And who's lying that the expense of all that travelling, hotels etc. would be a factor.

Side effects, yep a whole bunch of them, for both drugs actually.

And drug #2 is a genetically modified herpes virus (really!) and while the STI part has been removed they still want you to start using a condom for the time you're in the trial - not a fan there.

So I'm leaning toward surgery to have the current three tumors (yep, they are confident that the 3rd lump is cancer) and the one drug which they might even be able to in GP...................

OK, just off the phone with the Edmonton people. You know, both with the cancer 10 years ago and now I have to say that while most medical people I've dealt with in my life have been good, the cancer people are a cut above the rest. They must screen these people better perhaps?

Anyway, we're going to go with the 1 drug, I can get it done in Grande Prairie which is only 75 minutes away, we'll leave the tumors in for the time being and look at them after 4 cycles of treatment and decide if we remove them then.

I feel good about this.

Not 70% effective but I didn't have a 100% chance of getting the 2nd drug anyway...................

And there we have it! I should be starting in a few weeks with luck and as far as I know my old chemo tech is still working in GP as of two years ago so it will be like a reunion!

Thanks so much for helping me with the mental side of this experience everyone!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

Glad to hear there is a plan of attack Garry! It's weird that they have to do a blind study for the 2nd drug. It's not like it's a mental medication where people can just lie about the effects, either is works or it doesn't.
We're all thinking of you and rooting for you!

When they move it is fast, I'll give them that.

So I got the call today. Treatment starts on Monday, 2pm!

4 rounds every three weeks and then off to Edmonton for evaluation and we go from there.

Mentally I am so in the zone to put the hurt on these tumors! Lets get the ball rolling!!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

54 hours to go and I am getting pumped to do this!

I took the Z06 to get groceries last night. As I was just leaving my garage a young couple were walking by and when I started the car the guy turned when he heard the rumble, saw what it was then nudged the girl to look as well. Just as I got to the store there were two guys walking and as we had the windows down we heard them say what a "wicked sounding car" it was. I do admit that a Z06 driving down the street as the sun is going down does look everything you would expect a super car to look like, low, mean, menacing and not to be messed with.

Funny enough, a twin to my neighbours green Challenge Hellcat, this time it appears a teacher at my son's school. Too common!

I just love the car making people react like that! Almost as good a medicine as the stuff I'll be getting on Monday!

So, it is done.

It was -5 this morning so I elected not to take the Z06. Funny though I went to see a cabinet I was interested in buying on Kijiji and passed a C6 on that secondary highway on the way there. OK, now this is too funny not to share. The guy wanted $150 for it and so I had $120 in cash on my pocket. It looked fine enough so I offered him the $120 and he said no that he needed $150, he had a lady that had gotten some other furniture from him and was going to come back and get this to refinish it and said she'd pay him the $150. I was prepared for this so I thanked him and walked away. Two stubborn men in action!

Originally I had emailed him a week ago asking for the height and he never replied. Then my gf texted him on Saturday and he told her the height and and a few hours later he emailed me the height. I told him I'd be going past his place on Monday morning and would see if he was home then.

ANYWAYS!

Within 30 minutes of my leaving his place he texted my gf to see if she'd pay $125 for it! What a jacka** I thought!

She texted him back asking if he'd take $120 for it! I was hoping he would and then would have loved to have seen his face when my truck returns to pick it up! I thought I'd have to lower the price to $110 to pay for my gas and time for the second trip!!!!!! She hasn't gotten a reply yet.......................

But the treatment was a cake-walk compared to the chemo 10 years ago. 30 minutes instead of 4 hours and no side effects as of yet. Wow, EACH treatment costs the province $15,000. I know drug research programs are expensive but wow/zowie that is a chunk of change!

So next one is on the 23rd and I have to see the team on the 19th for blood work and to meet with a nurse and doctor to see how things are going with me.

Mentally it is a better place to be. I tired of always waking up in the morning to feel if the tumors were getting any bigger because no action was going on to deal with them. It makes a huge difference in my sense of well being knowing that while the drugs may or may not be working, they are at least in my body.

And yes, of course I saw a 2nd C6 in town later on. I should have taken the Z06 but then again I was expecting to be bringing a cabinet home!!

So thanks to everyone for their support and kind words, you fellows (and the one lady) having my back on this makes it so much easier to go through.

Cheers,

Garry

Garry, it is always an adventure in the medical world. I admire your spirit and sense of humour.

Thanks for the update. I find it interesting how this thread changed direction in a hurry. I doubt anyone starting to read this thread would believe where we are now.

Stay positive. We will.

Garry ... the one thing I really like out of this message today - is your demeanor and needing to take care of normal day stuff too.
My good thoughts continue for you with a successful upcoming regiment and in the short term I am now oddly hoping that you get that cabinet.
Spence

Hi Garry. That guys cabinet will be in his nightmares it sounds like. Seems like a pretty weird dude. Maybe better to keep looking or wait a month and get it for $75. Haha

Very glad to hear you are on top of the treatments and not seeing the heavy side effects so far. The $ cost is high for this yes but you are what I would call a good investment in our healthcare dollars man.
I continue to wish you the best and am pleased to see your humour back Garry.
There will be a few days more this year for your Z to play. :thumbs:

D

Garry. From J and myself,you have our thoughts and best wishes for a a$$ kicking on your part in the coming weeks. As mentioned in above posts,you got this in your back pocket. So much support coming from us here and people south of the border,more than one too. We'll see you in the spring..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.