Aug 25, 2015
Edmonton, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Stingray Z51
Province
AB
What kind of leather protection products are people using? Which ones are the best? Are they left feeling greasy after? Where do we get this product? Any Pros or Cons? How often to apply? How long do you leave on before sitting on it next time after applied? I've never owed a car with leather before. This is why I'm asking. Thanks Ken

I never had real leather either, but a friend of mine back in 70's used linseed oil . I heard stuff like Armor All is crap and actually dries it out more.

Armour all isn't the answer as far a I'm concerned. Greasy.. Linseed oil is great for horse tack and my leather hunting boots, or leather that has been mistreated for 50 years but i would definitely not be using on my new car seats. Especially the vented seats. I soaked a custom guitar strap in linseed oil once and 2 years later it is still weeping out of it and turns my shoulder a nice oil stain colour every time i use it... albeit less and less as time goes on. I use either Mothers Leather Conditioner or Meguiars Leather Conditioner. One would hope unless you are letting the pet pot belly pig ride in your Vette after it's been out wallowing in the mud, that an actual cleaner shouldn't be needed often, if at all.

I use AutoGlym from Canadian Tire. Both the cleaner and protector seem to work very well. Neither are at all greasy.

Suspect you will get a million and one suggestions on this topic.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree with Murray on this one. I have been using AutoGlym for several years and it works very well. Not greasy if applied properly and allowed to soak in. :thumbs:

If you ever wear shorts in your car and sweat.. you should clean the leather once a year. It might not look dirty but the salt in sweat isn't good for leather long term. It isn't a tough process..unlike say...putting vinyl tint on side lights ..
:WillyNilly::Seeya::Smuggrin::Smuggrin:

I use Meguiars in both cleaner and conditioner and they work well. Not greasy. Just do it on a day you aren't using the car to let it soak and settle some.

Armour all isn't the answer as far a I'm concerned. Greasy.. Linseed oil is great for horse tack and my leather hunting boots, or leather that has been mistreated for 50 years but i would definitely not be using on my new car seats. Especially the vented seats. I soaked a custom guitar strap in linseed oil once and 2 years later it is still weeping out of it and turns my shoulder a nice oil stain colour every time i use it... albeit less and less as time goes on. I use either Mothers Leather Conditioner or Meguiars Leather Conditioner. One would hope unless you are letting the pet pot belly pig ride in your Vette after it's been out wallowing in the mud, that an actual cleaner shouldn't be needed often, if at all.

This would be my second post here. Having a detailing background I would suggest staying away from a number of ones; Especially store brand ones.
The recommendations I make are based on durability, finish and price.
Its extremely important for the finish to be a new OEM finish, not a greasy, slick, shiny or wet looking. A low sheen, clean finish works best.

One of my favorite interior detailers is Ultima Interior Guard Plus, this is more of an interior trim sealant that can be used on plastics, leather, dash, everything! The finish is great.
The bottle I find is a bit expensive but should last the average person 5-7 years. The bottle will likely expire before it runs out.
I'll upload and share some pictures I've taken shortly showing you the finish on the door panels, seats and interior.

Other options aside from Ultima would be the Zaino Z9 and Z10 combo or the Duragloss 441 and 221.
I've used all of the products above and have had great experiences from them, Ultima still has my vote though as its extremely durable, user friendly and safe to use on all surfaces.

Reactions: Brent08
Some pics as promised - Finish looks brand new and OEM.

nxk7RYm.jpg

aYg8mZd.jpg

Z9JOhU8.jpg

If you ever wear shorts in your car and sweat.. you should clean the leather once a year. It might not look dirty but the salt in sweat isn't good for leather long term. It isn't a tough process..unlike say...putting vinyl tint on side lights ..
:WillyNilly::Seeya::Smuggrin::Smuggrin:

I use Meguiars in both cleaner and conditioner and they work well. Not greasy. Just do it on a day you aren't using the car to let it soak and settle some.

Ouch...that hurt... side light tints are hard to install...

Anyway... not to totally unravel this thread, that is a good tip Randy regarding sweat on the seats... My shorts tend to be the longer golf style but for anyone that sweats a lot and drives their Corvette wearing Daisy Dukes or Speedos, cleaning your seat sounds like expert advice ....:Seeya::Smug:

What kind of leather protection products are people using? Which ones are the best? Are they left feeling greasy after? Where do we get this product? Any Pros or Cons? How often to apply? How long do you leave on before sitting on it next time after applied? I've never owed a car with leather before. This is why I'm asking. Thanks Ken

I find that it is particularly important to condition the driver's seat bolsterer that you press hard against when getting in or out of the car. If you have a light coloured upholstery it will show smudge marks in a matter of weeks and I have found you really need to keep on top of that area. I have used several of the higher end products mentioned here and all seem to do a reasonable job both on the C7 and my SUV.

I just checked the shop I got it from and it seems like they've discontinued the product. I guess thats what happens when you don't market an amazing product well enough.
I suppose you'd have to go to a vendor like Autogeek.net and place the order there. Shipping it will be quite expensive.

I just checked the shop I got it from and it seems like they've discontinued the product. I guess thats what happens when you don't market an amazing product well enough.
I suppose you'd have to go to a vendor like Autogeek.net and place the order there. Shipping it will be quite expensive.

Thanks for checking. Not too happy with Autogeek as I ordered an item from them a few months ago and despite me ticking off the USPS box they shipped UPS which then triggered customs brokerage fees (minimum $25) plus shipping not to mention even though my shipping address was Brampton, UPS returned the package to their Toronto office near York University so I had to drive 35 km through GTA traffic to their office to pick it up. By the time the dust settled I was into shipping for double the price of the item. Wrote to Autogeek via their web site and not so much as an acknowledgement. Later found out that Autogeek always ships UPS for international orders even though their order form allows you to tick USPS. My general rule of thumb is to always ship via USP from the US unless your purchase is well over $100. If I can't get USPS shipping I don't buy it. Have found ChemicalGuys easier to do business with.

lol... tell me about it. Saw a special on black with red stitching distressed denim Corvette ball caps. $ 13.50 US. I figured I would order two of them. 27.00 plus exchange... a quick mental calc and i'm at about $ 34.70 or so... not the cheapest hats I've ever owned but all things considered, they do say Corvette on them... Never got advised what the shipping would be, and never even thought about customs so smiled to myself and thought "lesson learned" when $ 71.00 later UPS delivered my two hats in a 16 x 8 inch box. But.... I did get a catalog as well.... :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.