VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
FYI From Corvette Ed on Midengine

2024 Corvette Posi Chatter & Solution​

Today, 01:56 PM

I just wanted to give people a heads up to a problem we ran into with our first three 2024 Corvette deliveries. Last week we got 3 sold 2024 Corvettes in. Two coupes and one convertible all non Z-51 cars. The customer and his wife came in to pick up the first car and after going over the car with them and doing their Onstar call they were leaving the lot and didn't go 50 feet and stopped. They said something is wrong with this car it is making a popping noise from the back. I had them drive the car slow in the lot as I walked aside of it. Something was binding up. I got the service manager and we put the car up on the lift to check it and we needed more time so we gave the customer a loaner car and sent them home.

The second customer had a 9am delivery time today and after going over the car as they were about to leave the same thing the car was binding up in the rear. I went to get the service manager and he said we found the problem in the first car. It is the clutches in the rear weren't seated yet. After taking the car out to the back of the lot and doing figure 8's with it the binding went away and the customer drove it home 40 miles with no problems. We did the same thing to the second car and again the problem went away and didn't come back.

I just took the third car out and did the figure 8's and no problems. We have delivered over 110 C8's since 2020 and never ran into this before but our first 3 2024 cars all had the same problem.

I know how Corvette customers are about having miles on their new Corvettes at time of delivery and we only drive them 2 blocks to the gas station but had we drove these cars a couple of miles we could have prevented this problem at time of delivery.

So if you pick up your new Corvette and you feel it binding just do some figure 8's and it will be fine

This post was blowing my mind so I spent a few minutes and found many older references to this 'figure 8' thing - so it is not new.
Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 5.55.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 5.48.54 PM.png

(For the C6, they did "figure 6's" BTW, etc etc)

Replacing the diff fluid on any modern Corvette calls for the same procedure. Worked with my C5, I think the Mobil 1 Diff fluid bottle tells you to complete this function.

Good information.
Changing diff fluid on both my C6 and C7 required the same procedure. Not quite sure why on the C8 as the diff is built into the transmission. Maybe the new pan and transmission changes for 2024 models has an unexpected consequence.

Forgive me but ... how would this not show up on the PDI? What are we paying $ for if the car is not completely gone over as the final check, part of which is a road test is it not? Quite possibly it may be added to the PDI procedures to ensure all C8's are not binding on delivery.
My2cents ...

Forgive me but ... how would this not show up on the PDI? What are we paying $ for if the car is not completely gone over as the final check, part of which is a road test is it not? Quite possibly it may be added to the PDI procedures to ensure all C8's are not binding on delivery.
My2cents ...
I wouldn't want my car "road tested"!
However, it should be something either done at the dealership or BG as part of the 800 tests etc.

FYI From Corvette Ed on Midengine

2024 Corvette Posi Chatter & Solution​

Today, 01:56 PM

I just wanted to give people a heads up to a problem we ran into with our first three 2024 Corvette deliveries. Last week we got 3 sold 2024 Corvettes in. Two coupes and one convertible all non Z-51 cars. The customer and his wife came in to pick up the first car and after going over the car with them and doing their Onstar call they were leaving the lot and didn't go 50 feet and stopped. They said something is wrong with this car it is making a popping noise from the back. I had them drive the car slow in the lot as I walked aside of it. Something was binding up. I got the service manager and we put the car up on the lift to check it and we needed more time so we gave the customer a loaner car and sent them home.

The second customer had a 9am delivery time today and after going over the car as they were about to leave the same thing the car was binding up in the rear. I went to get the service manager and he said we found the problem in the first car. It is the clutches in the rear weren't seated yet. After taking the car out to the back of the lot and doing figure 8's with it the binding went away and the customer drove it home 40 miles with no problems. We did the same thing to the second car and again the problem went away and didn't come back.

I just took the third car out and did the figure 8's and no problems. We have delivered over 110 C8's since 2020 and never ran into this before but our first 3 2024 cars all had the same problem.

I know how Corvette customers are about having miles on their new Corvettes at time of delivery and we only drive them 2 blocks to the gas station but had we drove these cars a couple of miles we could have prevented this problem at time of delivery.

So if you pick up your new Corvette and you feel it binding just do some figure 8's and it will be fine
So sad that GM can’t get it right with a $100+K vehicle!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.