Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Frustrated with the lack of light in my unheated garage. I have fluorescent lights with a cold start ballast system and frankly they don't work very well at all. Once it starts to cool getting all of them to come on is well just about impossible. None of them actually fully light, the light is dim and "greyish" in colour.

So I wonder what the latest is in garage lighting. I need to make a change but change to just what I do not know. Any suggestions?

Frustrated with the lack of light in my unheated garage. I have fluorescent lights with a cold start ballast system and frankly they don't work very well at all. Once it starts to cool getting all of them to come on is well just about impossible. None of them actually fully light, the light is dim and "greyish" in colour.

So I wonder what the latest is in garage lighting. I need to make a change but change to just what I do not know. Any suggestions?

I just converted my fathers shop to LED based tubes. They are a retrofit for the existing fluorescent housings and do require removing the ballast, but are very easy to install. They take less than 1/4 of the power, and are instant on with more brightness than the originals. A must in cold temps. :thumbs:

Attachments

• single-row-frosted-and-clear-web-e1460584232966.jpg
    single-row-frosted-and-clear-web-e1460584232966.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 30

I have 16 old style double 4' flourescent fixtures in the garage. I retrofitted them with electronic balasts and led 5000K daylight bulbs. I did a current measurement before and after. About a third of the power consumption, and about 3 times the light output. The biggest bonus is no more startup time, flicker or buzz, completely silent. One of the best upgrades I have done in the garage. Highly recommend if you spend alot of time in you garage/shop.

Last edited:
The fixtures I'm putting in are 133 watts per fixture, a lot less wattage
than a flourresent fixture. Lights are you going in today, cars got to move and it's snowing. What perfect timing....

Hey... now that you have me looking at moving up to T8 LED tube lighting.... do I have to change ballasts for this...or simple switch them out? Next up what is brightest??? 3000Lumens? 4000K??? I am lacking an understanding of such terms and simply want the brightest bulbs with a simple replacement from the old...

Last edited:
Hey... now that you have me looking at moving up to T8 LED tube lighting.... do I have to change ballasts for this...or simple switch them out?

The fixtures must have electronic ballasts. The old magnetic style ballasts will not work. The electronic ones are about half to a quarter of the size of the old magnetic ones and are very light.

Magnetic? I have to twist the light into place. Is this what you mean?

Nope, the old styles were quite large and are a transformer type internally, much heavier than the new electronic versions. I believe most of the fixtures sold within the 5-7 years have electronic ballasts. If you install the led replacement bulbs and they don't work, are very dim or flicker, you will need to change the ballast.

Reactions: AllFlash
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.