Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
As always, we live in a "small world". The connections that routinely come up between people, never cease to prove that and surprise me.
Thought I would start a new thread so it does not complicate the thread on the passing of Gordon Lightfoot.

I went to school with a neighbourhood girl by the name of Sandra "Sam" Turkis. She was a year behind me in high school but I saw her almost daily, a wave and a smile. To say she was drop dead gorgeous would be an understatement. I know of none one in high school who went out with her, she was one of those who you just knew would break your heart and in high school rejection was a "difficult" thing. She went on to be a "supermodel" , she may have well been, originally working in Toronto then London where her modelling career took off.

Sandra went out with the Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood, she was connected with lots of musical talent. At some point she met up with a girl named Cathy Smith, think she was originally from Hamilton, Ontario. She worked for one of the steel companies. She was a talent in her own right, singing back up with Ronnie Hawkins and others. She was involved with Levon Helm from the Band. Turkis introduced Smith to the Rolling Stones, they both travelled with them. At one point Smith and Turkis moved to Los Angles and sadly it seemed their lives went into a bit of spiral. Smith became a drug dealer.

I am not sure of the time frame she met Gordon Lightfoot and it sounded like they had the proverbial love hate relationship. Lightfoot apparently cared about her a great deal. Smith is the person "Sundown" was written for.

Smith perhaps is best known for her role in the death of John Belushi providing a drug cocktail that ended his life. She was sentence to jail and eventually was deported back to Canada. She passed away in 2020.

What is interesting about Turkis is that she had a social media presence, all old material and pictures. I found an obituary one time for a man who I believe was her father. Reading that it would seem that Sandra had passed away as well. All very sad. Oddly her social media presence has completely disappeared pictures and all. I was always under the impression that was not possible but hers has. I do miss her smiles and waves. Life in the fast lane.

Thought I would start a new thread so it does not complicate the thread on the passing of Gordon Lightfoot.

I went to school with a neighbourhood girl by the name of Sandra "Sam" Turkis. She was a year behind me in high school but I saw her almost daily, a wave and a smile. To say she was drop dead gorgeous would be an understatement. I know of none one in high school who went out with her, she was one of those who you just knew would break your heart and in high school rejection was a "difficult" thing. She went on to be a "supermodel" , she may have well been, originally working in Toronto then London where her modelling career took off.

Sandra went out with the Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood, she was connected with lots of musical talent. At some point she met up with a girl named Cathy Smith, think she was originally from Hamilton, Ontario. She worked for one of the steel companies. She was a talent in her own right, singing back up with Ronnie Hawkins and others. She was involved with Levon Helm from the Band. Turkis introduced Smith to the Rolling Stones, they both travelled with them. At one point Smith and Turkis moved to Los Angles and sadly it seemed their lives went into a bit of spiral. Smith became a drug dealer.

I am not sure of the time frame she met Gordon Lightfoot and it sounded like they had the proverbial love hate relationship. Lightfoot apparently cared about her a great deal. Smith is the person "Sundown" was written for.

Smith perhaps is best known for her role in the death of John Belushi providing a drug cocktail that ended his life. She was sentence to jail and eventually was deported back to Canada. She passed away in 2020.

What is interesting about Turkis is that she had a social media presence, all old material and pictures. I found an obituary one time for a man who I believe was her father. Reading that it would seem that Sandra had passed away as well. All very sad. Oddly her social media presence has completely disappeared pictures and all. I was always under the impression that was not possible but hers has. I do miss her smiles and waves. Life in the fast lane.
The music industry as a whole, and especially Rock and Roll has tentacles that reach into places and people that constantly surprise us. Great story Murray and a very cool connection with Sandra.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread