Fossil fuels days have always been numbered, 11 years is a long long time
I know that. I ordered a Equinox EV for the wife 2 years ago. I just like to have a choice. I do not like others telling me what to do , especially not Mr. incompetent.

Reactions: wdepipes
Fossil fuels days have always been numbered, 11 years is a long long time
Hate to disagree and perhaps this was just before your time but we were supposed to have hit “ Peak Oil “ in the early 70’s . Total proven world oil reserves are currently at the highest level ever .
Global proved oil reserves | Statista
We should be good for long after our warranty expires!

Well trudeau did it to us again. No more ICE cars sold, in Canada, by 2035. So this means, if I want sound with my performance , I have 11 years left to decide, if I keep my C8 or get another ICE. What the heck I might be dead by then.:p
I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. I have a sneaking suspicion that saner heads will intervene before that particular pipe dream materializes. This is similar to the “ Net Zero “ fantasy.

Hate to disagree and perhaps this was just before your time but we were supposed to have hit “ Peak Oil “ in the early 70’s . Total proven world oil reserves are currently at the highest level ever .
Global proved oil reserves | Statista
We should be good for long after our warranty expires!

Reserves don't mean much if the entire world wants to pivot to something cleaner. It's less of a "we're running out of oil" and more of a "we need to find a better solution here"

Doesn't even matter what Trudeau does because even the Consveratives can come in and be like nah we're good. If Mercedes and Honda decides we're only making EVs, then Canada is getting EVs from Mercedes and Honda.

Besides, just because they want to ban new ICE vehicle sales in 11 years, doesn't mean you can't buy an ICE vehicle in 10 years, and they still have to support all the ICE vehicles on the roads... seems like a real big non-issue. People just hate change.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
Reserves don't mean much if the entire world wants to pivot to something cleaner. It's less of a "we're running out of oil" and more of a "we need to find a better solution here"

Doesn't even matter what Trudeau does because even the clown from the Consveratives can come in and be like nah we're good. If Mercedes and Honda decides we're only making EVs, then Canada is getting EVs from Mercedes and Honda.

Besides, just because they want to ban new ICE vehicle sales in 11 years, doesn't mean you can't buy an ICE vehicle in 10 years, and they still have to support all the ICE vehicles on the roads... seems like a real big non-issue. People just hate change.
Odd that Ford just announced that they are cutting the F-150 lighting production by half. Manufacturers can build them, the question is will consumers buy them. Also manufacturers aren’t building them necessarily by choice as few of them are profitable currently. Early adopter demand is waning, and a lot of people simply can’t afford EV’s . It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out for sure. Also it’s going to be a heck of a long time before “ the entire world “ pivots away from fossil fuels . The technology, sadly, doesn’t yet exist that can make that happen. At least not at a financial cost that even approaches reasonable for the majority of the world’s population . Would be nice if that were so.

Doesn't even matter what Trudeau does because even the clown from the Consveratives can come in and be like nah we're good. If Mercedes and Honda decides we're only making EVs, then Canada is getting EVs from Mercedes and Honda.

Nothing against change. Like I said I have an EV on order, for the wife . I don't like being dictated too.

I won't be purchasing any EV unless there is absolutely no other alternative. Maybe in 10 years there will be adequate electrical infrastructure, rapid charging stations and batteries that can get 1,000 km/charge...we'll see...I won't hold my breath on that either. There is no way the world can do away with all fossil fuels...look at the number of aircraft in the air, diesel powered boats/ships, trucks on the roads delivering the goods that we all use and shingles for houses, just to name a few. Anyone who thinks this can be a no petro world had blinders on...JMO

Well trudeau did it to us again. No more ICE cars sold, in Canada, by 2035. So this means, if I want sound with my performance , I have 11 years left to decide, if I keep my C8 or get another ICE. What the heck I might be dead by then.:p
Dude! YOUR province has something similar already! LOL.

I wonder where the money for the massive infra-structure electrical overhaul will come from? More taxes, a new EV tax, maybe the oil companies will pitch in since it will ultimately effect them. Think of what will happen to the power grid once every household with a EV will be plugged in. Oh ... just a though. Since Trudeau wants to eliminate fossil fuels what will we heat our homes with? More electricity will be required for heating. I may hopefully still be around by 2035 just to say "I told you so". I don't see the transition happening as envisioned by the Liberals.

I wonder where the money for the massive infra-structure electrical overhaul will come from? More taxes, a new EV tax, maybe the oil companies will pitch in since it will ultimately effect them. Think of what will happen to the power grid once every household with a EV will be plugged in. Oh ... just a though. Since Trudeau wants to eliminate fossil fuels what will we heat our homes with? More electricity will be required for heating. I may hopefully still be around by 2035 just to say "I told you so". I don't see the transition happening as envisioned by the Liberals.
It is a target! To create the infrastructure for this will be an enormous effort.
And Let's be clear here. The point is to reduce the carbon footprint! Quit throwing around political parties! Do you really think that the Tories will not be concerned and try to reduce the carbon footprint? There are world agreements in place that each country has to attain. One way or another the carbon footprint has to change or your children's children will get choked off the planet!

I won't be purchasing any EV unless there is absolutely no other alternative. Maybe in 10 years there will be adequate electrical infrastructure, rapid charging stations and batteries that can get 1,000 km/charge...we'll see...I won't hold my breath on that either. There is no way the world can do away with all fossil fuels...look at the number of aircraft in the air, diesel powered boats/ships, trucks on the roads delivering the goods that we all use and shingles for houses, just to name a few. Anyone who thinks this can be a no petro world had blinders on...JMO
Forget just fuel. The petrochemical industry alone is huge demand. None of the devices we all use to participate in this forum would exist without it. Not to mention the other almost infinite number of products that require derivatives of crude. For which there are no alternatives. Of course you seldom if ever hear this inconvenient truth mentioned by the evangelical crowd.

Forget just fuel. The petrochemical industry alone is huge demand. None of the devices we all use to participate in this forum would exist without it. Not to mention the other almost infinite number of products that require derivatives of crude. For which there are no alternatives. Of course you seldom if ever hear this inconvenient truth mentioned by the evangelical crowd.
I don't even think that North American cars anyway, are the largest polluters any more. As you so eagerly pointed out Cows are now number one! (Or should I have said Number 2? ;) )

I don't even think that North American cars anyway, are the largest polluters any more. As you so eagerly pointed out Cows are now number one! (Or should I have said Number 2? ;) )
China is building two massive coal fired generating plants every WEEK. Not counting the 1,142 that they currently have in operation. Canada doesn’t even make the list. See attachment. India now having the largest population in the world won’t be slowing down their energy consumption any time soon as they are for the most part very much a still developing economy. Canadas total emissions at approximately 1.4 % is basically a rounding error.
Number of coal power plants by country 2023 | Statista

Did you mean number poo ? I would bet that the implementation of this latest bit of theatre is due to the fact that New Zealand recently announced the same thing. Not to be outdone……

Canada has the ability to produce and significantly reduce more carbon output elsewhere in the world than the pittance that it can offset from within. By self-inflicting, Canada is the brunt of jokes from the wealth in oil producers world wide. We have become insignificant. The writing is on the wall when international media intake is now censored in Canada and when our Government has other world leaders reluctantly standing beside in those silly photo-ops. It’s hypocritical when importing overseas fossil fuel on the East Coast if thinking it’s better for the World this way. Perhaps just the way I am seeing it … perhaps not. 😂

Last edited:
I would not mind an EV as my 3rd car.... I have a new Toyota Tacoma on order, but starting to consider F150 lightning instead. my next house will have a 19.2 kWh charger in the garage requiring a separate 100AMP circuit which is crazy as my current 8 year old 3000 sq ft house has 100amp total.

Odd that Ford just announced that they are cutting the F-150 lighting production by half. Manufacturers can build them, the question is will consumers buy them. Also manufacturers aren’t building them necessarily by choice as few of them are profitable currently. Early adopter demand is waning, and a lot of people simply can’t afford EV’s . It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out for sure. Also it’s going to be a heck of a long time before “ the entire world “ pivots away from fossil fuels . The technology, sadly, doesn’t yet exist that can make that happen. At least not at a financial cost that even approaches reasonable for the majority of the world’s population . Would be nice if that were so.

For the record, I don't think they'll hit their goal by that specific date because there's a LOT of work to be done, but what this goal can do is start to align the work they can do in the next 10 years to hit a target... so while they won't accomplish what they set out to do by this date, they will start righting the ship and trending towards their overall goal.

But it's very clearly the long term trend. How fast or slow we get there is the real question.

It is a target! To create the infrastructure for this will be an enormous effort.
And Let's be clear here. The point is to reduce the carbon footprint! Quit throwing around political parties! Do you really think that the Tories will not be concerned and try to reduce the carbon footprint? There are world agreements in place that each country has to attain. One way or another the carbon footprint has to change or your children's children will get choked off the planet!
Yup a target just like the Kyoto Accord. Another target missed. I agree that no matter what political party is in control, the environment has to be a priority. It is the Liberals that are making the decisions at this time for Canada, so they are the ones that determine how we move forward with climate change. Like'em or not, we got what we got.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.