Oh yes of course ..... bonded to the water meter pipe for sure ... only problem is that they used cloth covered 14 gauge 2 wire .... and because its a service upgrade we have to involve Toronto Hydro

Which means permits ... inspectors and the current ground would never pass inspection... here in Ontario the code states that # 6 wire is to be used and because I dont want to break my finished ceiling to get to the meter .... I decided to dig to China

And btw ... I love staying at Holiday Inns :D
Yes # 6 and a 10 foot ground rod or ground plate buried down 2 feet and/or to permanent moisture level . That is one thing the inspector will check for sure . Maybe take a picture before you bury it .

Reactions: Vettenut
Yes # 6 and a 10 foot ground rod or ground plate buried down 2 feet and/or to permanent moisture level . That is one thing the inspector will check for sure . Maybe take a picture before you bury it .
Yea we decided to go the ground plate route that hole you see is 20 inches by 16 inches by about 30 inches deep

And I'll just leave it open so he can see it then fill it ... what a pain it was to dig that hole... the amount of boulders that I had to fight with :Banghead:

Thanks .... Mr 1st vette ... moving forward I may have some electrical questions for you ;)

Yea we decided to go the ground plate route that hole you see is 20 inches by 16 inches by about 30 inches deep

And I'll just leave it open so he can see it then fill it ... what a pain it was to dig that hole... the amount of boulders that I had to fight with :Banghead:

Thanks .... Mr 1st vette ... moving forward I may have some electrical questions for you ;)
I put mine under the garage floor because it was easier to dig there where the excavator had already dug (filled with sand) than outside where the ground was like caliche (cement).

Reactions: Vettenut
I put mine under the garage floor because it was easier to dig there where the excavator had already dug (filled with sand) than outside where the ground was like caliche (cement).
This is a cold room ( cantina ) that is just on the other side of the electrical closet ... 12 inch block separates them Drill a hole and dig a hole .. alot easier than breaking ceiling and having to re patch

Reactions: JVi

There is a product you can get which comes as a powder in a bag much like cement called ground enhancing compound . You mix it with water and make a slurry and then pour it in the hole with the plate . Ask your electrical contractor about it . We always used used it . There is really no such thing as over kill when it comes to grounding . Very important .
Always here to help if I can .

There is a product you can get which comes as a powder in a bag much like cement called ground enhancing compound . You mix it with water and make a slurry and then pour it in the hole with the plate . Ask your electrical contractor about it . We always used used it . There is really no such thing as over kill when it comes to grounding . Very important .
Always here to help if I can .
Thanks for that !!!

I actually printed it out ... will keep for reference :Cheers2:

Reactions: 1st Vette
You can"t get energy for no cost .
The law of conservation of energy says that energy is neither created nor destroyed. There are ways, but we haven't figured it all out yet. ;)
I personally like hydrogen powered vehicles. The byproduct is water. Anyone thirsty?

Reactions: Bunny hop
It doesn't matter whether wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc. is used. They all cause some damage to the environment to manufacture them and to build the infra-structure to support them. Lithium ion batteries require huge mines to get the raw materials. EV cars require plastics, metal rubber etc. Unless we all walk around bare foot there will be some type of ecological damage. As for the power grid upgrading. Think of the brown outs during high peak summer hours when air conditioners are running. Some places even have black outs and/or restrictions on peak hours. Now throw in the EV charging and electrical grids will not be able to keep up. There will be a significant cost to consumers. My tea leaves show an electrical tax in the future.

It doesn't matter whether wind, solar, water, nuclear, etc. is used. They all cause some damage to the environment to manufacture them and to build the infra-structure to support them. Lithium ion batteries require huge mines to get the raw materials. EV cars require plastics, metal rubber etc. Unless we all walk around bare foot there will be some type of ecological damage. As for the power grid upgrading. Think of the brown outs during high peak summer hours when air conditioners are running. Some places even have black outs and/or restrictions on peak hours. Now throw in the EV charging and electrical grids will not be able to keep up. There will be a significant cost to consumers. My tea leaves show an electrical tax in the future.
Thanks. I was too lazy to post the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Murray20c8
If anyone wants to chat about the carbon tax, EV's, or other topics I'm happy to. I was the chairman of the sustainability committee of our engineering and geoscience organization for six years. I won't go into it in a post, but happy to chat if you like.
EV's only here, but love your experience.

I would not mind an EV as my 3rd car.... I have a new Toyota Tacoma on order, but starting to consider F150 lightning instead. my next house will have a 19.2 kWh charger in the garage requiring a separate 100AMP circuit which is crazy as my current 8 year old 3000 sq ft house has 100amp total.
I heat with electric. 200 Amp service is a must.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
If anyone wants to chat about the carbon tax, EV's, or other topics I'm happy to. I was the chairman of the sustainability committee of our engineering and geoscience organization for six years. I won't go into it in a post, but happy to chat if you like.
No offence. And that is a generous offer but I think I would rather pick the lint out of the Velcro on my parka . Merry Xmas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.