Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
My car is scheduled for the free DCT service which is being done when in for final free oil change next Friday. I just got off the phone with my service manager (he called me) at Carters here on the Northshore and was told that the recommended DCT service is at 12,000km, and, so, I will have to get it done again at my cost then which would be next October as per the GM manual which he had just reviewed. I currently have 8500km on it. He recommended I still go ahead and get it done and inferred that it probably would not matter if I did not do it again at 12,000km? If I had 11,200km or something like that I would be o.k. and not have to worry about doing it as 12,000K. They have had several C8 in from the USA for oil changes with 25 - 30 thousand miles on the odometer that have never had the DCT service and knew nothing about it - crazy.

Not to be a pessimist, but with the stories about C8 transmission problems (which I think are overblown, but what do I know), I'd suggest getting something in writing from any dealership OK'g getting the DCT filter change around 11,000 km and then NOT doing it again at 12,000 km, to verify it won't affect the warranty. I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but it could apply to me and if so, I will request a letter/email from the dealer doing the servicing, to that effect. Better to be safe...

And anyone who doesn't know about the DCT filter change, hasn't read their owner's manual and of course risks jeopardizing a warranty claim. It's like that for any servicing that's recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, but not done, if a problem can be linked to the lack of proper servicing.

Thanks JCWP for the informative heads-up.

Any thought to waiting for 12,000 km before the DCT work is done? My dealer said I could wait and not link it with any free oil/filter change.

Reactions: CTRL_CV
you only have 2 years to get the free DCT, assuming you have a 22 or 23 model. I say there is NO Chance the Dealer will give you anything in writing about getting it done early, and no need to do it at the specified time...No dealer has that kind of power, and if something happened to your car, it will be the Dealer who is on the hook for the repair, Not GM Warranty...I'm sure you've seen this, but this is black & white as it gets....

Attachments

• Dual Clutch Transmission Canister Filter and Maintenance Schedule – TechLink.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Not to be a pessimist, but with the stories about C8 transmission problems (which I think are overblown, but what do I know), I'd suggest getting something in writing from any dealership OK'g getting the DCT filter change around 11,000 km and then NOT doing it again at 12,000 km, to verify it won't affect the warranty. I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but it could apply to me and if so, I will request a letter/email from the dealer doing the servicing, to that effect. Better to be safe...

And anyone who doesn't know about the DCT filter change, hasn't read their owner's manual and of course risks jeopardizing a warranty claim. It's like that for any servicing that's recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, but not done, if a problem can be linked to the lack of proper servicing.

Thanks JCWP for the informative heads-up.

Any thought to waiting for 12,000 km before the DCT work is done? My dealer said I could wait and not link it with any free oil/filter change.
The service manager called me because he had just reviewed the GM manual wherein it stated 12,000 or close to - 11,200 (can't remember exactly) or so is good enough. My final oil change - free has to be done before end of October and I do not think I can put approx. 3000 km on it by then. Impossible actually. Obviously the DCT service has to be done or lose it. He did not say not to do it again at 12,000 - just that probably not an issue unless something happens - then, maybe negate warranty? I will write GM to-day.

Reactions: butsy
It makes no difference! Some people are just too picky. 9000 or 12000. The whole point is to get it done relatively early so you get any break-in junk out. Remember changing the fluid does NOT get it all changed. There will still be about 10% (if I recall correctly) of the fluid left in the DCT.

It makes no difference! Some people are just too picky. 9000 or 12000. The whole point is to get it done relatively early so you get any break-in junk out. Remember changing the fluid does NOT get it all changed. There will still be about 10% (if I recall correctly) of the fluid left in the DCT.
Agree, BUT, if it's done sooner than what the Manual says, and you end up have a issue later on, This just gives GM an 'out' as you didn't follow the Maintenance schedule as per Owner's Manual & could may you pay...The may still cover, however I'd hate to be in the situation hoping they'll come good since they do have an out...

Yes; but, done at 9000 need to get it done again at 12000; but, not free like the 1st one. I wrote GM Canada complaining a few minutes ago. I understand the rationale for early; but, has to be close to 12,000 does not make sense in the context of a supposed free DCT service.

Agree, BUT, if it's done sooner than what the Manual says, and you end up have a issue later on, This just gives GM an 'out' as you didn't follow the Maintenance schedule as per Owner's Manual & could may you pay...The may still cover, however I'd hate to be in the situation hoping they'll come good since they do have an out...
Wait, my mistake, it's the canister we are talking about and not the fluid. The canister replacement procedure does nothing with the fluid except cycle it through the canister. When they say "The initial transmission canister filter change must be performed at 12 000 km" they mean no later than 12,000km's. Even the fluid change says to do it with 600 km's when it says "change the fluid soon". These are not finite numbers. They are suggestions. Conditions are different in different locations making nothing finite.

Reactions: butsy
Yes; but, done at 9000 need to get it done again at 12000; but, not free like the 1st one. I wrote GM Canada complaining a few minutes ago. I understand the rationale for early; but, has to be close to 12,000 does not make sense in the context of a supposed free DCT service.
Look what the manual says.
"More frequent fluid and filter replacement may be needed if the vehicle is competitively or aggressively driven"
Yo do NOT have to change it again at 12,000 kms. At worst you need to do it 24,000 kms later.

Wait, my mistake, it's the canister we are talking about and not the fluid. The canister replacement procedure does nothing with the fluid except cycle it through the canister. When they say "The initial transmission canister filter change must be performed at 12 000 km" they mean no later than 12,000km's. Even the fluid change says to do it with 600 km's when it says "change the fluid soon". These are not finite numbers. They are suggestions. Conditions are different in different locations making nothing finite.
Murray I know this because I watched the procedure on YT. It is quite the procedure. The issue is it has to be done according to gm manual at or close to 12,000km as per the call from the service manager this am. Mine is free. Cost would be $700.00 + taxes otherwise. My point is: why at or close to 12000km not 8700 which is where my odometer will be when I get it done. Further, why do I have to do it again at my cost at 12,000km. Makes no sense to me or the Service Manager. Appreciate as always your input.

Murray I know this because I watched the procedure on YT. It is quite the procedure. The issue is it has to be done according to gm manual at or close to 12,000km as per the call from the service manager this am. Mine is free. Cost would be $700.00 + taxes otherwise. My point is: why at or close to 12000km not 8700 which is where my odometer will be when I get it done. Further, why do I have to do it again at my cost at 12,000km. Makes no sense to me or the Service Manager. Appreciate as always your input.
You are WAY TOO picky!! Do what you want. I had mine done at 10,300 and I will not do it again until the fluid gets changed soon. C'mon try to be realistic here. Everything is relative to the environment.

You are WAY TOO picky!! Do what you want. I had mine done at 10,300 and I will not do it again until the fluid gets changed soon. C'mon try to be realistic here. Everything is relative to the environment.
I get it. I am getting it done before my 2 yr time frame is up at approx. 8700km.

Reactions: Murray20c8
GM claims that the DCT is not fully broke in until the 12k mark and the clutch packs may still be making wear particles which may create transmission issues. Hence the requirement for the 12k service.

GM claims that the DCT is not fully broke in until the 12k mark and the clutch packs may still be making wear particles which may create transmission issues. Hence the requirement for the 12k service.
Never seen that written. Seems excessive to me.

Tons of chatter and different opinions about DCT, when to change filter etc....Bottom Line, anybody who doesn't follow what the Manufacturer says as per the Owner's Manual as closely as possible, is at risk of GM voiding any Warranty Claim when the time comes. Nobody will know exactly what GM will do until they are in that situation, and EVERYONE's situation will be different, so GM may do something for somebody, and the opposite for somebody else even though the situations may seem similar!!.....Amen!!!

Makes sense!
Waiting to hear back from them.
Have a great weekend....

James…. You need to come out this way and put some more kms on that car!
drop it off and take my ‘03 for a couple of weeks.
I’m here for ya.
LOL

graham
You are such a pal Graham.
Let me think about that for a while - LOL.
We saw each other once this year - no, twice?
I am free Wednesday and would love to visit and buy you lunch. Maybe we could go for a little back road drive as well, like the last time. Let me know.

Take care,
J

• Clever
Reactions: nascar03
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.