Jan 24, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Corvette Sting
Province
ON
Looking for some clarification from those of you that have brought your C8 in for service within the 1st 2 years of ownership as I'm not sure exactly what is included and I'm going to need an oil change before winter storage....
I have a 23 Vette, & my Window Sticker indicates 2 free Oil changes within the 1st 2 years of ownership. Pretty straight forward and easy to understand.
What I've also read from others is they also get the DCT oil / filter change at 12,500 km's also included in their Comp service with their Oil change?? Is this true, or is the DCT change solely offered on US cars only???
I've also read that some guys are only getting 1 free oil change, so they pay $$ for the 1st one, and get the 2nd oil change free along with the DCT oil / filter at the 12,500 km mark??
Any feedback is appreciated..
thanks

The free services for the C8 have changed over time. For the last couple years (including your 2023 C8) you get 2 free oil/filter changes (as you've indicated) plus one free transmission filter/fluid top-up. It's NOT replacing all the transmission fluid; only whatever is lost (not much) when changing the DCT filter. The notice that GM sent to the Canadian dealerships, mentions that transmission filter work being done at the same time as the first oil/filter change. But if you followed that, you'd have to do the transmission change again at 12,000 km (it's 12,000 km and not 12,500 km) and pay for it that second time. So with my dealer, they agreed when doing the first oil/filter change, I could wait until 12,000 km before getting the free DCT filter change. I've got 11,000 km on my 2023 Stingray so I'm about to get the second free oil/filter change (before I park it for the winter) and will get the transmission filter changed out as well, if I reach 12,000 km before parking it.

There are some worried about their C8 transmissions, so they'll do the free DCT filter change early...then again at 12,000 km and pay for the second one. Each to his/her own on that issue.

In the US, their C8's always came with one free oil/filter change and one free DCT filter change. For some reason, Canadian C8's initially got 2 free oil/filter changes (that's it). That was later changed to add the free DCT filter change, for Canadians, and we kept our 2 free oil/filter changes as well.

Look at your 2023 owner's manual, starting at page 305 for maintenance information. Here's a part of it discussing some of the first servicing requirements:

Normal Service Every 12 000 km (7,500 mi). Check engine oil level and oil life percentage. If needed, change engine oil and filter, and reset oil life system. Or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, have the engine oil and filter changed within the next 1,000 km (600 mi). If driven under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate the need for vehicle service for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset. Your trained dealer technician can perform this work. If the engine oil life system is reset accidentally, service the vehicle within 5,000 km (3,000 mi) since the last service. Reset the oil life system when the oil is changed. See Engine Oil Life System 0 248. Service and Maintenance 307. When the REPLACE AT NEXT OIL CHANGE message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the next engine oil change. When the REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER SOON message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the earliest convenience. Reset the engine air filter life system after the engine air filter is replaced. See Engine Air Filter LifeSystem 0 250.. The initial transmission external canister filter change must be performed at 12,000 km (7,500 mi). This service can be complex. See your dealer. Caution The transmission external canister filter must be changed at 12,000 km (7,500 mile) during the break-in period. Failure to replace the external canister filter can cause damage to the transmission and potentially void any warranty.

As the old adage says: "always read the directions" or in this case, your owner's manual. Good luck!

The free services for the C8 have changed over time. For the last couple years (including your 2023 C8) you get 2 free oil/filter changes (as you've indicated) plus one free transmission filter/fluid top-up. It's NOT replacing all the transmission fluid; only whatever is lost (not much) when changing the DCT filter. The notice that GM sent to the Canadian dealerships, mentions that transmission filter work being done at the same time as the first oil/filter change. But if you followed that, you'd have to do the transmission change again at 12,000 km (it's 12,000 km and not 12,500 km) and pay for it that second time. So with my dealer, they agreed when doing the first oil/filter change, I could wait until 12,000 km before getting the free DCT filter change. I've got 11,000 km on my 2023 Stingray so I'm about to get the second free oil/filter change (before I park it for the winter) and will get the transmission filter changed out as well, if I reach 12,000 km before parking it.

There are some worried about their C8 transmissions, so they'll do the free DCT filter change early...then again at 12,000 km and pay for the second one. Each to his/her own on that issue.

In the US, their C8's always came with one free oil/filter change and one free DCT filter change. For some reason, Canadian C8's initially got 2 free oil/filter changes (that's it). That was later changed to add the free DCT filter change, for Canadians, and we kept our 2 free oil/filter changes as well.

Look at your 2023 owner's manual, starting at page 305 for maintenance information. Here's a part of it discussing some of the first servicing requirements:

Normal Service Every 12 000 km (7,500 mi). Check engine oil level and oil life percentage. If needed, change engine oil and filter, and reset oil life system. Or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, have the engine oil and filter changed within the next 1,000 km (600 mi). If driven under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate the need for vehicle service for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset. Your trained dealer technician can perform this work. If the engine oil life system is reset accidentally, service the vehicle within 5,000 km (3,000 mi) since the last service. Reset the oil life system when the oil is changed. See Engine Oil Life System 0 248. Service and Maintenance 307. When the REPLACE AT NEXT OIL CHANGE message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the next engine oil change. When the REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER SOON message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the earliest convenience. Reset the engine air filter life system after the engine air filter is replaced. See Engine Air Filter LifeSystem 0 250.. The initial transmission external canister filter change must be performed at 12,000 km (7,500 mi). This service can be complex. See your dealer. Caution The transmission external canister filter must be changed at 12,000 km (7,500 mile) during the break-in period. Failure to replace the external canister filter can cause damage to the transmission and potentially void any warranty.

As the old adage says: "always read the directions" or in this case, your owner's manual. Good luck!
Thanks for the info....I'll check with the Dealer that will do the service and make sure they are aware of the DCT filter as well and to 'save that' when my Km's hit 12K...

Thanks for the info....I'll check with the Dealer that will do the service and make sure they are aware of the DCT filter as well and to 'save that' when my Km's hit 12K...

I've found it a "mixed bag" when it comes to dealers being aware of the free DCT filter change. Some of them apparently don't read their manufacturer notices closely. To be fair, they get a lot of GM notices covering a large model line with Corvettes only being one type of vehicle they sell. I say this, since I had to "chase" 2 dealerships to clarify the free DCT service. They had no idea until their service manager(s) tracked down GM's notice. Luckily for us using these Forums, we know about it. Unfortunately, some of their Corvette customers were charged for the first DCT filter/fluid top-up. Hopefully, the dealerships "came clean" and gave refunds.

I've found it a "mixed bag" when it comes to dealers being aware of the free DCT filter change. Some of them apparently don't read their manufacturer notices closely. To be fair, they get a lot of GM notices covering a large model line with Corvettes only being one type of vehicle they sell. I say this, since I had to "chase" 2 dealerships to clarify the free DCT service. They had no idea until their service manager(s) tracked down GM's notice. Luckily for us using these Forums, we know about it.
good to know, and I was afraid of that also...I've got 2 dealers in my area....I'll start with 1, and if they don't acknowledge the DCT, I'll move over to the other....

good to know, and I was afraid of that also...I've got 2 dealers in my area....I'll start with 1, and if they don't acknowledge the DCT, I'll move over to the other....

You may be able to track down a copy of the notice GM sent, for the 2023 C8. I thought I found a copy somewhere on these Forums and perhaps others can more easily point out its location for you. Your job convincing a dealer is a lot easier, if you hand them the notice.

You may be able to track down a copy of the notice GM sent, for the 2023 C8. I thought I found a copy somewhere on these Forums and perhaps others can more easily point out its location for you. Your job convincing a dealer is a lot easier, if you hand them the notice.
good point...I'll start looking..thanks.

good point...I'll start looking..thanks.
I found it however this time when I tried to open the PDF Murray (moderator) posted, I couldn't open it so perhaps you'll have to ask Murray to repost a copy. Here's that past thread with Murray's post of the GM letter, found on the second page (post #22 in the thread):

The free DCT filter/fluid top-up has been included for Canadian C8's, since 2022.

I found it however this time when I tried to open the PDF Murray (moderator) posted, I couldn't open it so perhaps you'll have to ask Murray to repost a copy. Here's that past thread with Murray's post of the GM letter, found on the second page (post #22 in the thread):

The free DCT filter/fluid top-up has been included for Canadian C8's, since 2022.
thanks..i had the same issue...but I found another post and got the PDF...appreciate the help....Not much of an argument now when you show this to the dealer....

thanks..i had the same issue...but I found another post and got the PDF...appreciate the help....Not much of an argument now when you show this to the dealer....

Good detective work butsy. Consider referencing the thread where you found the letter on this thread, in case anyone else would like to take a copy of the letter to their dealer.

Reactions: butsy

The initial transmission external canister filter change must be performed at 12,000 km (7,500 mi). This service can be complex. See your dealer. Caution The transmission external canister filter must be changed at 12,000 km (7,500 mile) during the break-in period. Failure to replace the external canister filter can cause damage to the transmission and potentially void any warranty.
I trimmed the transmission part to make it more readable.
It implies that the change "at 12,000km (7,500 mile) during the break-in period."
Is that the xmission break-in period?
Well beyond the OM's suggested overall break-in period?
So we have multiple break-in periods?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.