As per the recommended service intervals in the owners manual, however I am typically well short of the specified mileage so I do oil change yearly. I schedule oil changes just before the cars/bikes/etc get prepped for winter storage in Nov, however the first year I drove the C8 all year ie no storage so the oil change was at 1 year February 2022 2800 km. In 2022, I switched to my pre-storage schedule so second oil change was November 2022 at 7000 km. Third oil change will be schedule for Nov 2023

Reactions: Murray20c8
What mileage is everyone changing their oil at after the break in period?
That will depend, on whether you store your vehicle or not. Mine will probably have 6000 kms , when I bring it out, in spring and I will have to change it because the oil will have more than a years age. GM is very petty when it comes to the warranty. I informed myself, to my dealer , for my oil change because one year comes in January 31st for me but they said , no problem because it is in storage , so I can do it it in spring and not lose my warranty on the motor.

My 2023 C8 has around 1800kms (probably will drive another 1000kms) planning to do the first oil change / transmission filter change before parking for winter, live in the Mississauga area, appreciate if you folks can suggest a dealer that you have had a good experience with and also honors the free transmission filter change.
Any suggestions / recommendations (pros Vs cons) on postponing the transmission filter change to fall of next year, will most likely not hit the 12k mark at that point.

My 2023 C8 has around 1800kms (probably will drive another 1000kms) planning to do the first oil change / transmission filter change before parking for winter, live in the Mississauga area, appreciate if you folks can suggest a dealer that you have had a good experience with and also honors the free transmission filter change.
Any suggestions / recommendations (pros Vs cons) on postponing the transmission filter change to fall of next year, will most likely not hit the 12k mark at that point.
I think if you do the dct filter change this early you may need to do it again at closer to the 12K mark. It’s about $400 for the filter change, and about $900 for the dct fluid change which needs to be done by 3 years.

GM suggests you do the transmission filter change a second time at the prescribed mileage of 12,000 km, if you do it before that. It also tells dealers to do the free transmission filter change at the same time as the first free oil change. My dealer said I could wait to do the free transmission filter separately at the appropriate mileage, to avoid doing it twice. So I just did the oil/filter change. Unlike oil, GM says nothing about doing the transmission filter every year. So I assume it doesn’t have to be done, but those concerned about the transmission may want to do it twice. It only costs money (lol).

Reactions: Bunny hop
Follow the OLM. GM has put a lot of effort into that system, and it works. It will let you go a maximum of 1 year or 7500 miles, but depending on how you drive the car might recommend more often.

There is no break-in oil change required on the C8.

GM suggests you do the transmission filter change a second time at the prescribed mileage of 12,000 km, if you do it before that. It also tells dealers to do the free transmission filter change at the same time as the first free oil change. My dealer said I could wait to do the free transmission filter separately at the appropriate mileage, to avoid doing it twice. So I just did the oil/filter change. Unlike oil, GM says nothing about doing the transmission filter every year. So I assume it doesn’t have to be done, but those concerned about the transmission may want to do it twice. It only costs money (lol).

It's kind of amazing how confusing GM makes this. For the DCT filter, you get one free change, it's supposed to be done at the same time as an engine oil change (I believe Canucks get 2 free engine oil changes?). Either way, it's only free within the first 2 years, and after that it's on your dime. The DCT filter *has* to be changed at 12,000km no matter what. If you change it earlier for whatever reason, you have to change it again at 12,000km. The DCT oil is not normally changed with the filter. It has to be done every 72,000km, or no more than every 3 years regardless of mileage, or whenever the monitor tells you.

I have 2100kms on mine as of today but will probably change it before the car goes away at the end of October. I will pay for that oil change on my own dime and take the free oil/change w/ DCT filter next summer.
The window sticker for my car that I printed out online says we get 2 free lube-oil-filters, so you shouldn't have to pay for that change.

The window sticker for my car that I printed out online says we get 2 free lube-oil-filters, so you shouldn't have to pay for that change.
From everything I have read, you must take the DCT filter change with your 1st free oil change. I don’t want to use my DCT filter change at 3000kms when it will need to be done on my dime at 12K.

I will just pay for the oil change and wait to use my freebie oil change/DCT filter change when I actually need it.

From everything I have read, you must take the DCT filter change with your 1st free oil change. I don’t want to use my DCT filter change at 3000kms when it will need to be done on my dime at 12K.

I will just pay for the oil change and wait to use my freebie oil change/DCT filter change when I actually need it.
IMO You are throwing away your money! Your oil will be fine with that few KM's on it. However, I'll take your old oil and use it in my tractors! :)

Took delivery of my car late Oct. 2021 (2022 car), 1st oil change Oct. 2022. 2nd oil change and DCT service this Oct. DCT service would be $750.00 if not free like mine. Service Mgr. told me I must get free DCT service this Oct. or lose it. I will have about 8,000 km on my car. I asked about the DCT service last Oct. @ was told by check in person that it was not free and would cost me $750.00 - so, got free oil change; then, found out it would be free based on notice posted on CCF - so, took notice to service mgr. who eventually confirmed the DCT service would be free for me. Not sure what the deal is for later C8 models?

I did mine at 750 miles. I knew we were driving to the bash back in April and I wanted fresh oil for the long drive down and back. Cost me 150 at my dealership. It was great peace of mind.
1694280365627.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.