Sep 30, 2021
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
21 Vette Z51
Province
ON
Quick question

This will be the first time I will be doing my own oil change on the C8 ... The first 2 were done at the dealership " free "

So this may be the C8's first oil change ever :p

Got the oil last year at Estero Chevrolet in South Florida ..... 11 USD a liter :D

Anyway is it mandatory to use a AC Delco filter ... was thinking of using the Fram synthetic filter

Mobil 1 Supercar Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 6-pack of 1  quarts : Amazon.ca: Automotive

Thanks for the feedback ..... yea didnt really think that the Fram was anything better .... more for convenience cuz I always have those kicking around as I use them on my other cars
Some of the Frams can be better. Walmart made them reduce quality so they could "roll back" the prices, but that isn't true any more. At least last time I checked them out. A rule of thumb, though not guaranteed, the more you pay the better the quality. I think I have the better quality Frams in my barn for the Malibu which uses the same filter as the Corvette.

Reactions: Vettenut
Quick question

This will be the first time I will be doing my own oil change on the C8 ... The first 2 were done at the dealership " free "

So this may be the C8's first oil change ever :p

Got the oil last year at Estero Chevrolet in South Florida ..... 11 USD a liter :D

Anyway is it mandatory to use a AC Delco filter ... was thinking of using the Fram synthetic filter

Mobil 1 Supercar Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 6-pack of 1  quarts : Amazon.ca: Automotive
Hi . I just read the manual, again , and there is no mention of any specific requirement regarding the filter. It does list part numbers for both GM and AcDelco filters under maintenance parts but no where does it even say recommended let alone mandatory. Pages 316 and 321 .

I'll just put this out there. Don't know about the LT engines in the C8 re: bypass pressure but on the C7 cars it's recommended that you use an oil filter with the proper bypass pressure and the easiest way to know you have the right filter is to use the OEM one.

If you still have a Powertrain warranty you might not want to risk something happening in case the wrong filter is used and it pooches your engine. Your dealer may or may not be anal about it but the wrong time to find out is when your engine craps out and GM denies warranty work to repair/replace engine.