RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Good morning,

So I had the windshield changed in my sedan yesterday as it was less than when I did my girlfriends about 3 years ago, yes we have twin cars!

So on a lark I asked about the cost of the Z06. I had heard prices from $1400 to $2400 for a HUD glass. I was stunned when he told me that it would be $1050 plus GST. And this is the owner of the dealer himself who also owns a Camero with a HUD and he just did his windshield after a trip to California himself. So I expect he knows what he is talking about. At that price I might just go for it and get it done as I have 4 full vertical cracks (pipe, rock, rock, reinstalling rear view mirror) and a large rock chip now (something off a semi).

It seems low but I also sort of expect that he should know his business.

I mentioned that I thought it was considered to be one of the more challenging windshields to change and that I also thought as well there was a kit that was needed from GM (new rubber seal?) and so he is going to double check with the folks in Edmonton who even have the windshield in stock..................

But it sounds most promising................anything I ought to be aware of from those who have gone through the experience??

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann
Garry, when I needed a SWPS for my 2003Z I got it from GM Parts Wholesale which is a division of Roy Foss Motors in Vaughan, Ontario.

They list a windshield for a 2006 Z06 with HUD but no GPS for $954.00. The GM part is
Windshield
Part Number: 25996277

They do not show a install kit but I may need to look for another listing to find it.

The windshield is a structural part of the car and it sounds like your needs to be replaced.

Take care Garry, thoughts still with you.:thumbs:

I'm feeling strong, logging in 17.5 km yesterday and 10 km so far this morning. Immunotherapy is so different (so far) compared to chemotherapy. Working with the immune system as opposed to just pumping in toxic chemicals to kill the cancer.

The windshield is not something that I am worried about in terms of body rigidity but I am ashamed to say cosmetic only. To be honest if it was $2400 I was facing I'd probably put it off longer yet but if his price is correct then I'm sort of strongly leaning in the direction to get it done. The difference in the new windshield driving home yesterday in the sedan compared to even a Windex cleaned old windshield sort of opened my eyes. Not that Z06 is as pitted and scratched as the sedan from the winter driving, slush etc. but you sure see the loss of vision that occurs over time.

Sort of makes me understand why countries like Sweden actually have a device to measure opaqueness of windshields periodically to tell drivers when it is time to get it changed.

OK, now to see about getting a few bushels of canola off to pay for any potential windshields!!

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann and Dub
Dub, I have read different thoughts on the HUD windshields. Some people seem to think it does not make much difference.

This windshield has no HUD, no GPS and it is $675.00 from the same supplier.

WINDSHIELD - GM (25996275)

I priced a C7 HUD windshield from GM a couple months ago when I was debating getting glass insurance. $ 2,050.00 plus installation. They farm the install out and he wasn't sure on the labour but figured it would be about $ 150.00. So call it $ 2,300.00 and change all said and done. Was into my dealer for my final free oil change :( not long ago and the service manager told me when I needed a windshield to come see her for a sweeter price so hoping two things. 1) that she is still around when I need a windshield, and 2) that there will have been enough demand for C7 glass that the price eases downward by itself.

Obviously, I didn't go with the glass insurance. Talked to the AMI insurance rep (Glass insurers here in AB.) on the phone and they basically told me that if I needed a windshield that they would shop for the cheapest glass they could find and if I didn't want that, I had to pay the difference... Basically states that in their agreement too if you read the fine print.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
hmmmmmm..... It is showing me up to 2013 model year only Murray.... Says it will not fit my C7.... But thanks for checking... Luckily I don't need one.... yet.... lol...

This thread makes me cringe... I have the worst luck with glass.
But I'm paying attention.
About the same as the heated H1 glass at $1000 us per side. Yup.. rock first day.

Garry you can't drive that beauty around with busted glass man.

Appreciate the links guys.

D

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
- WINDSHIELDS -
Please research a link/info in a thread from Brent08 for windshields to assure of the manufacturer label
as he just did his C6 this Summer. Make sure and get the "real stuff" and not the "cheap stuff".

C6 Windshield replacement Edmonton
DOT number search: DOT Number Database

From personal experience, also this Summer, I know C7's can still get HUD windshields with the GM logo - if one insists.
The appraiser's price for my windshield was an eye-opener at less than $1000 for my installer - and had to verify GM HUD supplied.
(this was the supply cost of course and did not include removal and replacement and supplies)
... those who know and have seen my pictures of my claim this year can attest that I am not blowing wind on this replacement...

... as for putting in a non-HUD windshield in a HUD equipped vehicle,
you might as well just get them to put in the cheap aftermarket HUD Chinese glass windshield
because it's a waste either way ...
Had an incorrect install in a 1998 HUD Grand Prix - any more words said will be surely editted.
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/GTX Ram Air (Western Canada's First)

... if you are in or are tripping to Calgary, I can personally recommend a Company/Owner with supply & install integrity

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
- WINDSHIELDS -
Please research a link/info in a thread from Brent08 for windshields to assure of the manufacturer label
as he just did his C6 this Summer. Make sure and get the "real stuff" and not the "cheap stuff".

C6 Windshield replacement Edmonton
DOT number search: DOT Number Database

From personal experience, also this Summer, I know C7's can still get HUD windshields with the GM logo - if one insists.
The appraiser's price for my windshield was an eye-opener at less than $1000 for my installer - and had to verify GM HUD supplied.
(this was the supply cost of course and did not include removal and replacement and supplies)
... those who know and have seen my pictures of my claim this year can attest that I am not blowing wind on this replacement...

... as for putting in a non-HUD windshield in a HUD equipped vehicle,
you might as well just get them to put in the cheap aftermarket HUD Chinese glass windshield
because it's a waste either way ...
Had an incorrect install in a 1998 HUD Grand Prix - any more words said will be surely editted.
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/GTX Ram Air (Western Canada's First)

... if you are in or are tripping to Calgary, I can personally recommend a Company/Owner with supply & install integrity

Was this a glass insurance claim Spence? Or a vehicle damage claim? My information was strictly related to the AMI glass insurance company. Not my vehicle insurer. Also, I would appreciate you letting us know the dealer who supplies GM OEM C7 HUD windshields for $1000.00. That's a great price.

Was this a glass insurance claim Spence? Or a vehicle damage claim? My information was strictly related to the AMI glass insurance company. Not my vehicle insurer. Also, I would appreciate you letting us know the dealer who supplies GM OEM C7 HUD windshields for $1000.00. That's a great price.
Comprehensive (flying objects ... many of them) Insurance Claim (not thru glass, collision or vandalism coverage).
GM-HUD wholesale is less than $1000 invoiced to a Repair Company through a GM Dealership (there is no other supplier for C7 GM-HUD)
and I hope to safely assume that this would include any GM Dealer costs.
Customer Cost would then be through the Repair Company with added removal/installation & and supplies & overhead & PROFIT :Woot:
I am waiting for my current replacement inquiry quote only from my resource with a GM-HUD

Last edited:
Comprehensive (flying objects ... many of them) Insurance Claim (not thru glass, collision or vandalism coverage).
GM-HUD wholesale is less than $1000 invoiced to a Repair Company through a GM Dealership (there is no other supplier for C7 GM-HUD)
and I hope to safely assume that this would include any GM Dealer costs.
Customer Cost would then be through the Repair Company with added removal/installation & and supplies & overhead & PROFIT :Woot:
I am waiting for my current replacement inquiry quote only from my resource with a GM-HUD

ahhhhh... that makes more sense .... thanks Spence....

So no call from the windshield guy yesterday to confirm anything. I hate when someone says they are going to call on a specific day and they don't. Follow through even if it is just to say that you still haven't gotten the information yet.

Still stunned by how opaque my old windshield was compared to the new one on the sedan.

Felt good yesterday and very good this morning - this is the way to treat cancer, assuming it is doing anything! I check the size of the tumors but it is so hard to tell anything this soon.

Had a gearcase failure on the hopper auger on my combine yesterday. With the Thanksgiving long weekend coming up I don't think I could order parts (old one still not removed) before 2 pm today and they would not arrive before Tuesday and more likely Wednesday. They have a new one in stock but it is $2300 but I might have to bite the bullet in this case. Thankfully I have another combine and mom is going to take it out this morning while Dad and I work on removing the old gear case. Hopefully it won't go too badly, sort of plug and play. The weather looks to old until Tuesday/Wednesday anyway which is a plus.

Cheers,

Garry

So I called the windshield guy. He said he was waiting for the Edmonton guy to call him and he would call me. Didn't happen today but at least I understand.

So cousin John came over and he had actually done a gearcase change for my Uncle John this spring so we spend about 3 1/2 hours, the old case out and the new one in! I had to get a new pulley but cousin Brad was able to pick it up and he went to the farm to install it with dad. Cool I have so many people pitching in to help me. Mom finished the one field and moved to the next one to be done. Gotta love that woman out at the age of 75 still running a combine!

Hopefully I'll get a good rest tonight and my combine will be ready for tomorrow and mom and I can hit things hard...................

And yes, I learned where to check the oil level in the new gearcase!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

To be sure Graham the lady has been an inspiration in my life on an ongoing basis.

Things seem to be in good shape at home. Apparently the 9600 is back together, Brad may have even taken it out to run it for a while. Mom had the bad luck to plug the knife on the header and to burn the belt so I have to get one at the deler before I head to the farm.

I learned a lot from the experience though. Dad was not in favour of getting the new gearcase, he wanted to take the old one apart and just get the parts necessary. BUT. He also didn't want to do that this fall, the dreaded "I think we'll have to park the 9600 for the season".

This made no sense to me as we're going to be faced with repairing it sooner or later and if history in any experence Dad would start nagging about doing this inside the machine shed when we were done harvesting (which would take twice as long with only one combine so picture say early November. With those temperatures not the type of weather I enjoy being outside in.

While dad and I have often been at opposite ends of the management spectrum anyway, I'm glad that I stood my ground, made the decision and forged forward. I need to have more confidence in myself and how I view doing things for the best outcome.

Let's hope we have a mechanical problem-free day today as they are calling for wet weather possibly this evening and tomorrow as well. So let's how much we can knock off first!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.