A good day yesterday. We found the problem with the sieve on the 8820, a missing bolt and broken bracket. So while a bit fiddily to do we got the bracket off, welded it and put it back on along with the missing bolt. Now the grain in the tank is clean and not so full of chaff.

I took the 9600 out. Dad said that Brad tried it and was getting an elevator speed alarm but that never happened to me so I combined until one end of a batt on the pickup reel broke. I thought it could be an easy fix and I was just 1/2 mile from the shed so I went back but there is something really wrong. There are three batts in a row and these things are pretty flimsy pipe and wood affairs. They are connected by a 5/8" shaft about 12" long and it appears that between two of them they each got twisted about 20 degrees. As a result it can be reassembled. As a shortcut to getting going I just took the one row right off, I still have five and it seemed to be fine. But how could I twist those shafts? The are welded to the inside of the pipes so the only place to even be able to twist in the middle maybe 30 mm area. You'd have to give it a good heating with the the torch to get it to twist in a vice let along the reel somehow doing this to itself.

Anyway, still a good day and we ended up with less to do this morning than 24 hours earlier.

Poor mom missed the bottom step on the combine when she was climbing off last night and took a tumble and a few bruises. But she was right back on the combine when it was ready to go. May I be 1/2 as good when I'm her age.

And called the glass guy. He is waiting for someone in Edmonton to return his call. And there was no call yesterday so he mustn't have heard back yet. So no glass progress until next week it seems. Sadly I'd been thinking it would be done before Thanksgiving.................

So while it showered last night mom sad that dad thinks we might be able to go again so I want her to confirm and if so I'll head back to the farm. But I asked her to get and test a sample first as I'm sort of tired and if we're not going to combine I can do without driving there and back to find this out.................

Can't say yet if there is any progress on the tumor front yet either. I live in hope but I'm not sure how dramatic the reduction should be after 5 days.....................still just nice to have started trying something!

Cheers,

Garry

That pretty awesome that your mom got right back on the combine after getting off with a bit of a stumble. Glad to hear she’s alright.

As for the windshields, I got my first chip two weeks ago. Should it spread before I get it fixed and I need a new windshield, I’ll be ordering up that windshield protection that Brian has and be putting it on my new one.

Thus starts another week. We've had a few days off so should be able to give a little push today.

Hopefully the glass guy calls with information.

Planning on trying combining today, forecast for showers/flurries this afternoon so we'll see how soon I can start and how soon it does start to get wet.

Still nothing concrete on the tumor size front either. Maybe I'm being unrealistic on this. After all I have at least three more treatments to do. If it was that quick would they need that many? Maybe it will be a lot more slow in happening than I am thinking and might not start until the 3rd treatment in 5 weeks, for example. Still happy I can think about something other than I wonder how much bigger the tumor got overnight!!

CHeers,

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann
No call from glass-man yesterday.

Finished my volunteer canola and now have maybe 130-140 acres of volunteer canola for Dad and that will be it for the harvesting unless we go to help my uncle. Dad's should be a lot easier than mine as mine was on lodged wheat stubble and so I had some issues with picking up the wheat from time to time and it hanging on the knife. Dad's is on canola stubble sao it should be a lot easier to do.

Finally got my weight down to a 4 year low, really feels cool. I can see bringing out of storage some clothes I'd had to put away some time ago.

Nice work on the weight reduction Garry! My 4 year low would be pretty much where I am, but 6 year low would require me dumping a solid 20 lbs. Doable and I'm starting tomorrow!....always tomorrow :rofl:
As for the tumor size, I'm not sure how your therapy works, it it's like Tylenol where the drug goes in, does it thing, then done, or if it's something that stays in for a while, so with the first treatment, you only have a bit of the drug in your body to go after the tumors and as your body adjusts to this level, then you get more and it builds on the first treatment, then the third treatment builds on the first and second, etc.
Plus, say if the tumors would be 50 grams, and the drugs are able to remove 10 grams at a time. 10 grams won't take a lot off the circumference at 50 grams, but two treatments later, taking 10 grams off the tumors when they are down to 30 grams starts to make quite the difference....if that makes any sense. So I guess I'm saying, it must depend on how the drugs work. It'll be interesting to hear how fast they start shrinking once the tumors are noticeably smaller and then quick it will be for them to be gone!

Very sage advice on how to view the tumor situation - thanks Riley! It makes some sense and sure makes me feel better.

So combining for me is over. Dad doesn't think that his field is worth doing and I'm OK with that.

So went over to my uncles place and helped install a new straw walker. Wow I hope I never have to do that myself - you need to rip a lot out of the combine to gain access. Might offer to combine for him still as it is now forecasting snow for the weekend. But so far all wet weather forecasts have been wrong!

Cheers,

Garry.

Reactions: Riley P
Price confirmed, window ordered, installer confident.

Checkup with the Dr.'s in Grande Prairie tomorrow, next treatment on Monday. Still can't say anything positive has yet happened with the tumors.....................

Cheers,

Garry

So went in for blood work and to see the nurse and Dr. Nothing much new to add. It takes a while for the immunotherapy to work compared to the chemotherapy so the fact I didn't see any changes or dare I say the tumors have gotten bigger is not alarming to them. They sort of have a wait and see approach, get the next treatment and see how I react to it in terms of side effects and then let it do its thing.

Sort of cool to see my original Dr from 10 years ago and to get caught up on things, almost like old home week at school!

So now wait for Monday for the treatment.................

"On a quiet day you can hear cancer cells dying.............." I hope I can go by this!

Cheers,

Garry

So went in for blood work and to see the nurse and Dr. Nothing much new to add. It takes a while for the immunotherapy to work compared to the chemotherapy so the fact I didn't see any changes or dare I say the tumors have gotten bigger is not alarming to them. They sort of have a wait and see approach, get the next treatment and see how I react to it in terms of side effects and then let it do its thing.

Sort of cool to see my original Dr from 10 years ago and to get caught up on things, almost like old home week at school!

So now wait for Monday for the treatment.................

"On a quiet day you can hear cancer cells dying.............." I hope I can go by this!

Cheers,

Garry

Sounds like you have a good read on the situation now Garry. We are pulling for you man. :Seeya:

Derek

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Thanks you guys!

It should be a good week coming up.

Next treatment on Monday and sometime next week a new windshield for the Z06!! Both good things to get attended to.

One thing I was taught today, how to find the size of a tumor. I was shocked. One I thought was just a few mm in size was actually the size of a loonie! I had no idea what I was looking for and am a lot more knowledgeable about these things now.

But one smart thing I did learn this time from ten years ago - I didn't piss around this time. Lumps found, off to the doctor and even though so far the treatment has not given me the outcome I want, it just feels so much better to have begun treatment rather than sitting on things and hoping that they might improve on their own - "the fool's errand" of which I have been so guilty many times in my life.

I guess what I'm trying to pass on is if you find a hard spot of any type, get in your car and burn off some rubber to the hospital and get yourself some testing done!

While we can't be assured of being cured, there can be no doubt that the earlier you start treatment, the better the outcome will be.

Cheers,

Garry

So 2nd treatment was today!.

Other than being 35 minutes late in starting for some reason (I am a stickler about being on time and expect to have my appointments also start on time and get VERY annoyed when there is a delay) it went well. I am happy that after the 3 weeks since the 1st treatment there were no side effects that I can identify so I hope this one will be as easy to go through too. Still nothing positive I can say about any shrinking tumors. But I can say so far, so good and steady on the helm.

I also got the call from the windshield place, the windshield is in and I can bring the car in 1st thing on Wednesday. I hope there will not be any surprises with it.

I took the Z06 out for a drive on Saturday. I had some fun, even consumed some methanol! Of course this was only done from the point of view having less to drain out of the system when I put the car away from winter, right?! But what a blast to drive. I stayed in the throttle longer and that car just pulls so hard in 3rd and 4th. It is harder for me to gauge that feeling of acceleration in 1st and 2nd since you don't spend a lot of time there under full throttle, but 3rd and 4th really give you an excellent sense of just how fast the car is going. In some ways I'm always glad that I can't do this year round, I think it makes me appreciate it all the more during the shortened season we have.

Cheers,

Garry

Yup I’m the same about being on time Garry. Spent years working in cultures where nothing and nobody is ever on time. Drove me nuts.
Well it’s positive you have no terrible side effects from your treatments. I suppose time will tell if this stuff blows away the tumours.
We are all hoping it does for you Man.

That 3rd and 4th rush is a good one I agree. Ya 1st is a wash and 2nd is just scary if you push too hard.
My Z06 is put away now and I miss the damn thing already. It’s going to be a long winter.
Can’t wait for spring and to hear you are on the mend.
Hope your windshield install goes perfect Garry.

D

Current weather forecast for Fairview, snow fall warning in effect starting tonight and continuing tomorrow!

Went to see the glass guy this morning as I was not suppose to bring the car until tomorrow morning and he said to bring it by tonight before he closes and he'll put in in the shop overnight. I said if it snows that much I might not be able to bring it home tomorrow when it is done and he said it could stay in the shop until I could safely drive it home. I'm only 600 m from the place but still snow and icy roads don't need to be long to cause a Z06 safe driving issues........

I feel pretty good today, again did some good walking. The only thing that came back from the blood work was that my blood glucose level was like 12. i said there was a mistake and so they tested it again, 6.6. Still a smidge high for me but apparently one of side effects of the drug they are giving me so I'm good to leave it at that.

I am looking forward to the moment when I can look at my arm and finally see it working! Fear not, I'll post whenever I have news, good, bad or otherwise.

I'll probably be a day behind you in car storage as well. Once I get is back I have to purge the methanol system for the winter as well..............

Now to finish changing the summer tires on my sedan. With this wild weather they are still planning on driving 110 km to play volleyball and I don't want to be caught in snow with summer tires!!

Sweet dreams to your lady!

Cheers,

Garry

So I took the Z006 into the glass place yesterday afternoon. I stopped to see my son and when I was leaving the school had the window down and the kids (again) were just thrilled to see the car, all pointing and telling each other to take a look at it. It was +13 even, so a nice day to be out. The owner was out on a call so I left the car there and hopefully it is safe inside the shop as it SNOWED last night and I don't mean a few flakes! I looked outside at 4 am and it was just wall to wall white. And apparently it is not finished yet, now they went from 10 to 15 cm to 15 to 25 cm of snow.

Bleh!

But I did get new front winter tires for the sedan and put the best of the old ones on the back. My son as a volleyball game after school in Peace River that is 110 km or say away and if they are still going and I'm driving some of them I want to make sure I have stable footing on the highways. I sort of hope they cancel it as the first storm of the year is usually one to try to avoid being on the roads.

I hope there will not be any surprises with the windshield and it looks to be up to 9 and 10 during the day on Friday and Saturday and so that might give me the chance to bring the car back home for the winter.........

May you all be snow-free where ever you are today!

Cheers,

Garry

PS Just back from walking 7 km. At least 10 plus cm of very wet, heavy snow. As usual drivers in the first storm don't remember things like slowing down when passing someone on the street. My pants are just soaked from splash..................how rude!

Last edited:
Windshield installed!

Should be plus 11 today so it should soften the icy on the roads and melt a good deal more of it.

I can wait to bring her home!

Purge the methanol and then bedy-by!

So with GST and some moldings, $1165. I can't say that I find that all that bad and especially for being in a small town in Northern Alberta too. He did give me a discount of a few hundred which I appreciated and it will ensure that I will be bringing him more of my window business in the future. The HUD is a bid blurry (or it is my aging eyes!) and while I know I did specify that it was to be a HUD windshield and he said that he was familiar with this as his Camero has HUD as well, I'll have to wait to see what it is like in bright sunlight. Honestly, for the price I can't see complaining, generally the only thing I use the HUD for is my speed anyway..................

And no trouble with backing it up the snow covered driveway either, never sun or anything.

Picked up regular windshield washer fluid this morning so perhaps this afternoon purge the Alky Control and then done for the winter.

And yes, battery minder already on!

On the tumor front, while I can't say that any are getting smaller, I can say that I am thinking, and hopefully not deluding myself, they are not getting any larger. Hope?????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.