Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
A strange weekend for me. First, I was dealing with a GM dealer in Coquitlam for a loaded 2023 Z06 - $199K MSRP BLACK - don't like black on this car - offered me $100K trade-in on my loaded Z51 3LT HTC. I refused so he came back to me and somehow got the net price reasonable - ie. saved me a fair bit on luxury taxes - not sure how? I was dealing the GM of the dealership. Then I get a call from dealer to order an E-Ray - so I did - loaded car - $115K trade-in - paying a bit over MSRP. Next I get an email from the dealer with the black Z06: got an allocation for Z06 - I could order exactly what I want - so, I asked him to get back to me - he hasn't yet? Questions: E-Ray or Z06? - Z06 with basically same options is about $30K more. My friends at BCCC - who have Z06 say buy Z06 because of engine and E-Ray basically a dresses C8 Z51. I tend to agree with that. As well Z06 would hold value? Thank you everyone for reading this lengthy post and I look forward to your thoughts.

A strange weekend for me. First, I was dealing with a GM dealer in Coquitlam for a loaded 2023 Z06 - $199K MSRP BLACK - don't like black on this car - offered me $100K trade-in on my loaded Z51 3LT HTC. I refused so he came back to me and somehow got the net price reasonable - ie. saved me a fair bit on luxury taxes - not sure how? I was dealing the GM of the dealership. Then I get a call from dealer to order an E-Ray - so I did - loaded car - $115K trade-in - paying a bit over MSRP. Next I get an email from the dealer with the black Z06: got an allocation for Z06 - I could order exactly what I want - so, I asked him to get back to me - he hasn't yet? Questions: E-Ray or Z06? - Z06 with basically same options is about $30K more. My friends at BCCC - who have Z06 say buy Z06 because of engine and E-Ray basically a dresses C8 Z51. I tend to agree with that. As well Z06 would hold value? Thank you everyone for reading this lengthy post and I look forward to your thoughts.
For whatever my opinion is worth, there is no question. The Z06 everytime.

For whatever my opinion is worth, there is no question. The Z06 everytime.
Thanks. Appreciate your lengthy answer - LOL
Was hoping for a bit more from a guy of your stature up there in Pine Lake.
I am an old guy so was thinking every day driver unless really crappy weather.

You want a lengthy answer, @netsinah is typing one now! ;)

Opinions will vary. I was on a list for both and after MUCH thought, gave up my #1 E-Ray spot many moons ago and opted for the Z06. If you want a "practical" street car (4-wheel drive; fast; "looks" like a Z06 with its wide body; better gas mileage) that will arguably be more useful in our Canadian climate, then it's the E-Ray. If you want a car that IMO will become a classic, then it's the Z06 with its unique engine and glorious sound. The price difference IMO is negligible and I thought the E-Ray was ++++ overpriced for what you get in terms of "new technology/engineering", compared to the Z06. A big "disadvantage" of the Z06, compared to the Stingray or E-Ray, is that its engine/torque doesn't kick in until the higher RPM's, so that's something you have to deal with, when street driving a Z06. But I think the demand will remain for the Z06 in the years to come, whereas the E-Ray might be viewed with skepticism since it's a "hybrid" and caught between the "old world established naturally-aspirated muscle-cars" and the "new age all-electric cars". Again, this is entirely subjective but those are my thoughts and why I chose the Z06. I'm also admittedly biased, having flown down to Bowling Green to attend the Bash, which in April 2022 was focused on the "soon-to-be-released" Z06, so I attended all the talks about the car and was definitely hooked, especially when looking at the engine design in detail and hearing the specially engineered muffler system. You need to do your own navel-gazing and decide. I now turn this over to DenisC8 since I think he's more in the E-Ray camp, making his opinion worthwhile for this "debate".

PS: thanks Murray; yes I'm trying to help with a more detailed answer, as usual...

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8
The "disadvantage" of the Z06, compared to the Stingray or E-Ray, is that its engine/torque doesn't kick in until the higher RPM's,

PS: thanks Murray; yes I'm trying to help with a more detailed answer, as usual...

Not to nitpick but the engines HP is higher at higher RPM's. Torque curves are virtually the same.

And you're welcome. You know I'm your biggest fan!

Opinions will vary. I was on a list for both and after MUCH thought, gave up my #1 E-Ray spot many moons ago and opted for the Z06. If you want a "practical" street car (4-wheel drive; fast; "looks" like a Z06 with its wide body; better gas mileage) that will arguably be more useful in our Canadian climate, then it's the E-Ray. If you want a car that IMO will become a classic, then it's the Z06 with its unique engine and sound. The price difference IMO is negligible and I thought the E-Ray was ++++ overpriced for what you get in terms of "new technology/engineering", compared to the Z06. The "disadvantage" of the Z06, compared to the Stingray or E-Ray, is that its engine/torque doesn't kick in until the higher RPM's, so that's something you have to deal with, when street driving a Z06. But I think the demand will remain for the Z06 in the years to come, whereas the E-Ray might be viewed with skepticism since it's a "hybrid" and caught between the "old world established naturally-aspirated muscle-cars" and the "new age all-electric cars". Again, this is entirely subjective but those are my thoughts and why I chose the Z06. You need to do your own navel-gazing and decide. I now turn this over to DenisC8 since I think he's more in the E-Ray camp, making his opinion worthwhile for this "debate".

Thankyou for this very thoughtful and detailed analysis. Your input is very much appreciated.
I've ordered the E-Ray; so, not sure the dealer would let me out of the deal and return my $10K? The order had to be entered on Sunday - not sure this is true?
The other dealer has not back to me yet about the Z06. I guess one could say the E-Ray is the replacement for the GS - my favorite vette.
Money was never part of the decision.
I am an old dog now and just drive to the tennis club, seniors center to play snooker, odd golf game and cruises down to the states; so, I guess a loaded E-Ray will serve me well? I should probably change the tires to AS because I ordered the ZER pkg.? We shall see?
Thank you for everyone's input.
I picked E-Ray over Z06

i

Thankyou for this very thoughtful and detailed analysis. Your input is very much appreciated.
I've ordered the E-Ray; so, not sure the dealer would let me out of the deal and return my $10K? The order had to be entered on Sunday - not sure this is true?
The other dealer has not back to me yet about the Z06. I guess one could say the E-Ray is the replacement for the GS - my favorite vette.
Money was never part of the decision.
I am an old dog now and just drive to the tennis club, seniors center to play snooker, odd golf game and cruises down to the states; so, I guess a loaded E-Ray will serve me well? I should probably change the tires to AS because I ordered the ZER pkg.? We shall see?
Thank you for everyone's input.

i
You made the right choice.
Lots of guys on this forum have allowed the sound of the Z06's engine to deafen out their common senses.

Reactions: gfry
If money is no object then get both and keep the one you like the most!
But in all honesty, I don’t know what experience GM has with the type of hybrid they have in the ERay. So it’s possible that the Z06 may be more reliable. However, for my money, it would be the ERay purely for the all wheel drive and probably softer ride. I have heard the Z06 ride can be very firm and not great as a daily driver.

I think my only hesitation on getting a Z06 over an E-ray would be the AWD on the E-Ray. It's nice being able to put that torque to the ground, but goodness that engine!

I figured it would be impossible to get a Z06, so I kept my name on an E-Ray, but it's a tough call. I likely would go for a Z06. Or wait for the new ZR1!

If money is no object then get both and keep the one you like the most!
But in all honesty, I don’t know what experience GM has with the type of hybrid they have in the ERay. So it’s possible that the Z06 may be more reliable. However, for my money, it would be the ERay purely for the all wheel drive and probably softer ride. I have heard the Z06 ride can be very firm and not great as a daily driver.
Thanks.
GM makes lots of EVs - not worried about that.
Cheers

You made the right choice.
Lots of guys on this forum have allowed the sound of the Z06's engine to deafen out their common senses.

What? Did you say something? (lol) :)

As indicated, the sound of the engine is a BIG factor for me, since I "grew up" with a next-door-neighbour who raced his 454 Camaro and I always admired its rumbling symphony of POWER as he tinkered with it; I'd hear it first then feel the ground vibration. What a rush! So yes, I'm biased from way way back.

Having said that, harshadt has pointed out another major difference I failed to mention above: the Z06 will definitely have a stiffer ride than the E-Ray. I enjoy the Stingray ride right now so going with a ++ stiffer suspension, coupled with the pot holes that Edmonton is infamous for, will be something I'll have to live with. But that's something I know about, have considered/weighed, and FOR ME, I still see it as worth it, for everything else the Z06 offers. Others will no doubt feel differently and "each to his/her own".

And yes JCWP, definitely put on A/S tires, if you're into safety and want to ensure a longer "driving season" (enjoying earlier Spring and later Fall driving) with a proper rubber compound temperature-wise. I'll do the same eventually for the Z06; keeping a separate set of rims with the summer grips for track use. OR take a lesson from Jack Raccoon! and slap some winter grips on and drive it year-round which is arguably more doable in BC (lol).

Good luck with your E-Ray and give us all a detailed review/comparison to the Stingray, once you've put some miles on it!

As indicated, the sound of the engine is a BIG factor for me, since I "grew up" with a next-door-neighbour who raced his 454 Camaro and I always admired its rumbling symphony of POWER as he tinkered with it; I'd hear it first then feel the ground vibration. What a rush! So yes, I'm biased from way way back.

Having said that, harshadt has pointed out another major difference I failed to mention above: the Z06 will definitely have a stiffer ride than the E-Ray.
Wouldn't Magride compensate for that?

Reactions: Red Devil
Sorry to disappoint but I am not a C8 fan and look at these purely through a stained glass window. Given your history (which I note as you having disposed of your favorite Corvette of all time when the C8 arrived), and the fact that your disposable income appears unlimited, it would not be too great an assumption that even though you might love whatever you decide on, your eyes will likely shine brighter again when a ZR1 hits the market, and if not then, when the newly designed C9 enters the scene. With that in mind, the Z06 will attract considerably more buyers and retain it's value much better down the road than the Eray. That is only my opinion. Plus, you live in Vancouver. The 3 miles or whatever you can get out of the front wheels for added traction will only come in handy on those rare snowy mornings when you need an immediate Latte fix. And I'm guessing you likely already have some AWD's in the stable anyway. Likely not the more lengthy answer you may have expected but us Pine Lake farmers typically prefer short and to the point.... lol....

Having said that, harshadt has pointed out another major difference I failed to mention above: the Z06 will definitely have a stiffer ride than the E-Ray. I enjoy the Stingray ride right now so going with a ++ stiffer suspension, coupled with the pot holes that Edmonton is infamous for, will be something I'll have to live with. But that's something I know about, have considered/weighed, and FOR ME, I still see it as worth it, for everything else the Z06 offers. Others will no doubt feel differently and "each to his/her own".

And yes JCWP, definitely put on A/S tires, if you're into safety and want to ensure a longer "driving season" (enjoying earlier Spring and later Fall driving) with a proper rubber compound temperature-wise. I'll do the same eventually for the Z06; keeping a separate set of rims with the summer grips for track use. OR take a lesson from Jack Raccoon! and slap some winter grips on and drive it year-round which is arguably more doable in BC (lol).

Good luck with your E-Ray and give us all a detailed review/comparison to the Stingray, once you've put some miles on it!
Thanks again!
I know what you mean about the rumble. I bought a new Shelby GT500 in 2007 and had to make some mods to make it drivable with all the HP & Torgue: changed exhaust to MAC - 4"" pipes, lowered it 2", added Shelby sway bars and engine brace - what a difference in the handling and man you could here me coming from a mile away.
Probably not get for quite a while? Spoke to dealer this am., and yes, the order was placed Sunday - he had to make small change for me today. Is there anyway I can track the progress of my car on-line?
Thank you to everyone for your input.

Wouldn't Magride compensate for that?

The C8 design engineers I spoke with at the Bash (and in particular the "road/test engineer" who logged ++ miles on all the Corvette variants), said the Z06 ride will be noticeably different, compared to the Stingary and moreso if you get the Z07 package. Mag ride will help, but I've got mag ride now on my Stingray Z51 so I'm expecting a far stiffer ride with the Z06. I'm not getting the Z07 package and likely couldn't if I wanted to: it's usually on constraint.

And getting a C8 ZR1 will likely be prohibitively expensive (especially for "mere mortals" like me: $300,000.00+? nicely optioned, with GM's special "made-for-Canadians" price), made worse by the dealer ADM's and (likely) limited supply. I can only imagine the ZR1 rocket ship (the same V8 as the Z06, but twin-turbo'd) having a VERY unforgiving suspension that will likely make many question whether to take it onto the streets and steer people onto a track.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.