I like the looks of the front end ... but that rear wing not so much. I'm guessing this car will be around the $150,000 range. I think a z06 with about $10,000 in upgrades will get to 750 hp. and maybe lighter too, can give the zr1 a run for the money. Nonetheless, the zr1 is still a decent car and shows the capabilities of the current engine and platform.

Reactions: ddgermann
If I had a Z06, I'd probably consider just buying the fenders and front end just for the fun of it. As stated, if you want the hp of the ZR1, it's pretty easy for the aftermarket to help with that, and this would probably save you some coin over getting the ZR1.

With all that said, I'd still like a ZR1. :D

The main reason for not buying a ZO6 for me was the overheating issue, common to most supercharged cars, when push hard on a race track or even on the dragstrip, the ZR1 supercharger is good for over 200hp more than the ZO6 because of it's size in cc's and a bigger intercooler; by being @100 hp less than they could, the Chevy engineers "fixed" the overheating possibility, time will tell...
As I want to track my Vette, I chose the GS, buying a ZR1 would only be having the baddest of all.

Remember the tv show when these guys from Toronto where testing all these performance cars about 10 years ago ? it always closed a test by asking :

" Do I need a car like this ? probably/absolutely not...Do I want a car like this ?"
You bet your a.... I do !!! :canada:

Altransam, Dream Car Garage was a great show with Peter Klutt and Tom Hnatiw. By all accounts Tom was a genuinely nice person and may he rest in peace.

Thomas Gregory Michael Hnatiw (pronounced "Na-chew"; born December 13, 1958, died 30 July 2012 inOakville, Ontario, Canada) was a Canadian motor journalist and live motor race announcer.

Tom Hnatiw was best known as co-presenter of the TV show Dream Car Garage on Speed Channelalongside Peter Klutt from 2000 to 2008. There he was famous for the phrase "Do you need a car like this? No. Do you want a car like this???"

tom-hnatiw-interview.jpg

Thank you for this Black 03 ZO6, I did not know Tom passed away.... he was the reason I watched this show ! liked his sense of humor very much ! as for Mr Klutt, not so much..

He is or was the owner of Legendary Motorcars formerly The Shelby Shop of Milton ?

Peter Klutt owned and I still think owns Legendary Motorcars. Have not been there in a while but it is an incredible place to see some beautiful street and race cars. It is indeed a Dream Car Garage.

I agree with you that Klutt could come across as a bit of a dick at times.

Reactions: turbozig
Out of interest.....Here is a Calloway quote for 757 HP upgrade to the Z06. Keep in mind this is in US dollars so this equates to about 22k Cdn. Derek.... Jump in here anytime.... Doesn't that equate to just over 152k for a loaded Z06 upgraded to ZR1 power levels? Hmmmmmmm.....

Drivetrain Specifications
Engine Supercharged, 6.2-liter V-8
Horsepower (HP @ RPM) 757 @ 6,200
Torque (LB-FT @ RPM) 777 @ 4,500
Acceleration (0-60 MPH) 2.8 sec.
Quarter mile 10.5 seconds at 131 mph
Prices
To get the Callaway Corvette Z06 package, prepare to shell out $16,995. Added to the MSRP of a base Z06 ($79,000), and you’re looking at a figure just under $100,000.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Out of interest.....Here is a Calloway quote for 757 HP upgrade to the Z06. Keep in mind this is in US dollars so this equates to about 22k Cdn. Derek.... Jump in here anytime.... Doesn't that equate to just over 152k for a loaded Z06 upgraded to ZR1 power levels? Hmmmmmmm.....

Drivetrain Specifications
Engine Supercharged, 6.2-liter V-8
Horsepower (HP @ RPM) 757 @ 6,200
Torque (LB-FT @ RPM) 777 @ 4,500
Acceleration (0-60 MPH) 2.8 sec.
Quarter mile 10.5 seconds at 131 mph
Prices
To get the Callaway Corvette Z06 package, prepare to shell out $16,995. Added to the MSRP of a base Z06 ($79,000), and you’re looking at a figure just under $100,000.

Yes Eric your figures are pretty close to do up a fully loaded Z based on what I paid for the car and the quoted number of the Callaway kit for it. Of course a purchase later in the year with the deals flying around would cut that dramatically.
Not sure about the later year deals on the lower trimmed Zs as I do not pay much attention to that.
So it’s really going to be based on the actual asking price for the ZR1 that will dictate which is a more “practical” way to go. Not that many of us actually think that way in terms of owning a Corvette. I’m the poster boy for that...
it’s decision for the guys who don’t want all the 3LZ options as from what I understand, the ZR1 comes at this option level as a standard.

By the way.. impressive torque numbers on that Z06 upgrade huh.

There is a 757 hp Callaway Z06 SC757 in the Red Deer area.... I seen it at the dealership in the spring before it was delivered to the customer. My best friend is the Callaway Corvette rep. He has driven 757 hp ones across the country ( USA ) ... lucky guy.

Brian

It’s been a little over a week now and I see the ZR1 has commandeered pretty much the same opinion across CCF forum...... “I would take a ZR1!” I’m going to make a shy prediction that Chev got this one just right! What an awesome specimen put together to bridge the gap to our long awaited North American bred “midengine” dream ! Lets all give the ZR1 team a huge ovation! It’s my hope that the same team gets to put their sweat and tears into the Zora! :Woohoo:

So the latest from Corvette Plant Manager Kai Spande is his prediction of only two thousand ZR1's will be available this coming year's production run.... at an estimated 150k... or higher... That's +/- 190k Canadian if he's right....

Kai Spande: 2019 Corvette ZR1 Production Starts in Early March and Estimates a $150K Price Tag - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

That will no doubt mean that the United Arab Emirates will get 216, the US will get 1791, and Canada will get 3.... Two for Toronto and one for Vancouver...
:rofl:

Now for the long awaited for "IMHO"....lol.....

I think that price point could be a pocket full of bullsheet coming from GM to push buyers towards cleaning up the thousands of leftover new Stingrays and Z06's, that are sitting on unhappy Dealer lots all over North America, before they release the price and start taking orders for the ZR1..... I think the ZR1 will debut closer to 120k US if they really want to see future sales numbers on this car... OR....My other shot in the dark is that this will only be a two or three year run of the new ZR1. They don't care what the price will be as they won't ever make more than a few thousand a year anyway... and after that the ZR1 and the C7 will be gone forever..... hmmmmmm.....

Reactions: YFCvii
Think back to history.

The Z06 was released at $79k US and $85K Cdn. At the time, that put the Canadian Z at $69K US after exchange....$10k less than the US version. Look at it that way. I don't believe they will take Canadian consideration for pricing out of the factor on this release. I am still going to bet Cdn falls below $150k.... Further more...expect Canadian pricing to come out well after US...just as it did with the Z. The US doesn't set the Canadian price, GM Canada does.

My guess is that allocations will fall in place before pricing...just as they did for the Z. That gives them the leeway of matching demand with price.... or sucking buyers into making that first step... which they never the first time.

I agree the price will be nuts on this car. I’m just down at the dealership now looking for details on mine. They are saying they have 2 allocated now. A vert and a coupe but are not sure I’m up for the coupe as I was expecting based on our agreement 6 months ago.

Update 4 hours later....
Got Michelle a Cadillac instead. No ZR1 for Derek.

I agree the price will be nuts on this car. I’m just down at the dealership now looking for details on mine. They are saying they have 2 allocated now. A vert and a coupe but are not sure I’m up for the coupe as I was expecting based on our agreement 6 months ago.

Update 4 hours later....

Great decision Derek. Happy wife, happy life! I can see a C8 or Zora in your future however, probaby more power also.

Update 4 hours later....

Well Derek.... As much as I would have liked to see a new ZR1 pulling into Ponoka on May12, I also think you made a good decision.... Now we need a picture of that new CTS-V......:rolleyes:

Great decision Derek. Happy wife, happy life! I can see a C8 or Zora in your future however, probaby more power also.

Thanks Ziggy. Michelle was shocked and thrilled with the Caddy.
As far the ZR1 goes, no pricing was available along with allocations today as Les mentioned.
Pretty sure the car will be minimum 180ish. They have 2017 3LZ Z07 Z06s in the showroom for 130 plus and an 18 ZL1 that is marked 18k over MSRP. Almost 100k.

Pretty sure the ZR1s will go for well over MSRP too.

I’m out for now. Looking ahead to the C8.
Have to put up with the new sluggish C7 Z06 for a year or 2 more.

I’ve had worse problems. :Biggrin:

Side note: No Corvettes outside. All not in the showroom are in heated underground storage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread