Apr 28, 2021
Sarnia, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8
Province
ON
Hello everyone.
I have question regarding high speed handling of my C8. I noticed lately that at high speeds , that is 180kph+, the front end seems to lighten up to the point where steering wheel inputs increase so much to keep on my lane that I must let off the gas. Not crazy but it gets your attention. I know the c8 steering is precise, but not so much as too feel like the car is wandering so much that steering inputs seem excessive. I tried a really light feel on the steering wheel but that didn't seem to help much and then more heavy handed which was similar. My 2019 GMC Sierra feels better at 160 kph than my C8 does at 180kph. Weird I know. The road conditions were average country paved roads. Funny thing though: a few weeks ago I was on a deserted road of excellent condition doing 214 Kph and the car felt comfortable and in control. Don't get me wrong, these high speed runs are few and far between and only done mid week, deserted roads. Not a safe thing to do otherwise. The feeling that I have to back off lately makes me wonder if there is a problem somewhere; maybe steering box, tires, suspension ? Or maybe that's the norm for the c8's handling setup and Im getting scared unjustly. One other thing I should mention is that these high speed runs are on straight sections only. I could imagine that some slight curves at those speeds would load up the steering and maybe would actually feel more stable than on a straightway. Taking out loud here. Anyway, if anyone has some opinion on this issue I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

from the 1970’s it is where the car begins to float

I take it you were on a track as we cannot condone those speeds on roads with traffic
OP said he was on a deserted road. Probably down in Mexico or something.

I haven't found the car to wander at higher speeds. Yes, steering inputs are sensitive, but the car does what I tell it to do.

That said, my car is lowered, Z51, and has a giant highwing on the back that hopefully adds some downforce.

from the 1970’s it is where the car begins to float

I take it you were on a track as we cannot condone those speeds on roads with traffic
Good. I’m not sure if floatyness was what I was trying to describe . It just seems like a lot of steering input was needed to keep a straight line . A little unnerving but maybe I just need more time and experience. My guess is higher speeds amplify any dips or waves in the road that can toss you around a bit. Anyway , just thought there were any known handling issues experienced by others driving a c8.

Hello everyone.
I have question regarding high speed handling of my C8. I noticed lately that at high speeds , that is 180kph+, the front end seems to lighten up to the point where steering wheel inputs increase so much to keep on my lane that I must let off the gas. Not crazy but it gets your attention. I know the c8 steering is precise, but not so much as too feel like the car is wandering so much that steering inputs seem excessive. I tried a really light feel on the steering wheel but that didn't seem to help much and then more heavy handed which was similar. My 2019 GMC Sierra feels better at 160 kph than my C8 does at 180kph. Weird I know. The road conditions were average country paved roads. Funny thing though: a few weeks ago I was on a deserted road of excellent condition doing 214 Kph and the car felt comfortable and in control. Don't get me wrong, these high speed runs are few and far between and only done mid week, deserted roads. Not a safe thing to do otherwise. The feeling that I have to back off lately makes me wonder if there is a problem somewhere; maybe steering box, tires, suspension ? Or maybe that's the norm for the c8's handling setup and Im getting scared unjustly. One other thing I should mention is that these high speed runs are on straight sections only. I could imagine that some slight curves at those speeds would load up the steering and maybe would actually feel more stable than on a straightway. Taking out loud here. Anyway, if anyone has some opinion on this issue I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Do you have an aero splitter and rockers (side skirts) on the car. A rear wing just adds downforce (and lots of it if it's the higher wing) at high speed but just to the rear of the vehicle. There needs to be a balance to keep the front end from floating. Air coming under the vehicle creates lift. An aero splitter and aero side skirts (or rockers) defuses the air from rushing under your car and creating that lift. Especially at high speed. I have both the Z51 spoiler, splitter and side skirts on my C7 and up to 275kph on a closed road high speed run, it doesn't feel much different than normal hwy speeds. From 275 to 290 I started to think about where I would be if a tire failed and will likely never do that again.

Well I can put this issue to bed. I have had no issues with sketchy handling at higher speeds on any other roads but the road in question at the start of this thread. Rarely traveled. I went down it again and even at 100kph I noticed a slight rocking motion in the car. Even looking down the road you could see that it was "wavy". The pavement itself was is in great condition but it was laid out on what appears to be a poorly prepared base. Not so flat. I could see where it would cause a rocking motion. So I can rest assured now that it not the car, it's that one road.
A couple of things happened that I wanted to share. One time after starting out from a stop sign there was a loud scraping, crunching sound coming from the front passenger wheel. Like metal on metal. I stopped in a parking lot immediately and inspected the wheel . I thought brakes. Maybe the callipers, a pad came off, a stone caught up, I don't know? Well I didn't find anything wrong so I drove a bit in the parking lot and no noises. Back on the road and all is good then and ever since. I suspect a stone got kicked up Into the rotor and got wedged in the leading edge of the caliper. Once I stopped , the stone fell out?
Another time while driving on a highway, suddenly there was this scary loud rattling noise coming from the passenger side door. What the hell. It lasted about thirty seconds and suddenly stopped. I pulled over and inspected the passenger side air scoop thinking a stone got kicked up into it and rattled around for a bit, but there was nothing there. Musta fell out.
Anyway all has been uneventful since and I must say that this is my first ever corvette, and its been a real pleasure to drive and to be part of this forum. Thanks.

Finally reached the magical 805 km limit switch. And does she fly ! Up to 130 km and its like untying the to rear legs of a horse.
I never go on the 401 in the GTA. Only when riving to Cobourg and back early Sat am or mid Friday afternoon when traffic is slow moving out of the GTA from Pickering.

Reactions: Maximus74
Hello everyone.
I haven’t experienced those conditions at speed In my C8. Perhaps you might check tire pressures…. Cheers!

Do you have an aero splitter and rockers (side skirts) on the car. A rear wing just adds downforce (and lots of it if it's the higher wing) at high speed but just to the rear of the vehicle. There needs to be a balance to keep the front end from floating. Air coming under the vehicle creates lift. An aero splitter and aero side skirts (or rockers) defuses the air from rushing under your car and creating that lift. Especially at high speed. I have both the Z51 spoiler, splitter and side skirts on my C7 and up to 275kph on a closed road high speed run, it doesn't feel much different than normal hwy speeds. From 275 to 290 I started to think about where I would be if a tire failed and will likely never do that again.
And I assume you too were in Mexico, right Rruff?? 😉

Good. I’m not sure if floatyness was what I was trying to describe . It just seems like a lot of steering input was needed to keep a straight line . A little unnerving but maybe I just need more time and experience. My guess is higher speeds amplify any dips or waves in the road that can toss you around a bit. Anyway , just thought there were any known handling issues experienced by others driving a c8.
Sounds like ya need to slow down…Merry Christmas!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.