Nov 19, 2019
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Wondering what you all have done for window tinting? Type of tint? Tint percent? Etc

I’ll be bringing the sleeping beauty out of the garage this weekend and I’m looking for a tint shop so any suggestions in Ontario (prefer GTA) are much welcome!

Wondering what you all have done for window tinting? Type of tint? Tint percent? Etc

I’ll be bringing the sleeping beauty out of the garage this weekend and I’m looking for a tint shop so any suggestions in Ontario (prefer GTA) are much welcome!
If I'm not mistaken, Ontario law says no tint on the windshield and max 30% on the drivers and passenger side windows. Here in Alberta, we are not allowed any degree of tint on the side windows but there are many that still do. Me included.. On my C7 I went with 35% on my drivers and passenger side, no tint on the windshield, and Limo tint on the rear sides and rear glass. Also Limo tinted my side and rear marker lights. I like the look so have been taking my chances and so far in 5 years, so good...lol

I did my C5 and several family vehicles years ago...haven't done my C7 as I find the extendible sun visors do the trick to get rid of the sun glare from the side. At the time I tried out the 30% but found that it didn't solve the side glare issue...I wound up using the 60% which technically isn't legal, but in half a dozen vehicles never got into any hot water over it.

Guessing you have the percentage mixed up as the % indicates the amount of light transference. 60% is an extremely light tint value and allows the most light through. 35% is about mid range and 5% is Limo tint.

Guessing you have the percentage mixed up as the % indicates the amount of light transference. 60% is an extremely light tint value and allows the most light through. 35% is about mid range and 5% is Limo tint.
Ah you're probably right...it's been many years since I did the first one and compared the tints. In any case, the lightest tint didn't do much on the side windows against the sun glare, which is the main reason I used to do them. Both the C7 and our 2x Subaru's have expanding sun visors that serve the same purpose, so I've stopped doing the tinting as a result.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Ah you're probably right...it's been many years since I did the first one and compared the tints. In any case, the lightest tint didn't do much on the side windows against the sun glare, which is the main reason I used to do them. Both the C7 and our 2x Subaru's have expanding sun visors that serve the same purpose, so I've stopped doing the tinting as a result.
My tint application was totally for looks as opposed to glare... Still a kid at heart...lol...

Reactions: rfh928
I've tried 2 places in the GTA.

1. Do It Right Tints in Vaughan
2. SRS Tints in Vaughan

Do It Right did my Silverado with excellent results. Their installer is a perfectionist. I think they quoted me $140 for the front 2 windows with Xpel on the C8.

SRS did my F150 last year. Passenger side was good, but the drivers side wasn't cleaned properly, and there is some dust that's visible that was sealed between the glass and the film. Can't really notice it day to day, but it bothers me that I can see it when I clean the glass.

I would recommend Do It Right Tints. They are on IG and Facebook. Owner's name is Chris. (416) 704-8468.

I've tried 2 places in the GTA.

1. Do It Right Tints in Vaughan
2. SRS Tints in Vaughan

Do It Right did my Silverado with excellent results. Their installer is a perfectionist. I think they quoted me $140 for the front 2 windows with Xpel on the C8.

SRS did my F150 last year. Passenger side was good, but the drivers side wasn't cleaned properly, and there is some dust that's visible that was sealed between the glass and the film. Can't really notice it day to day, but it bothers me that I can see it when I clean the glass.

I would recommend Do It Right Tints. They are on IG and Facebook. Owner's name is Chris. (416) 704-8468.
I will check with Do it right tints. Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, Ontario law says no tint on the windshield and max 30% on the drivers and passenger side windows. Here in Alberta, we are not allowed any degree of tint on the side windows but there are many that still do. Me included.. On my C7 I went with 35% on my drivers and passenger side, no tint on the windshield, and Limo tint on the rear sides and rear glass. Also Limo tinted my side and rear marker lights. I like the look so have been taking my chances and so far in 5 years, so good...lol
There is no “percentage” for tint under the Highway Traffic Act.
It’s the section “color coating obscuring interior”. Cops give that ticket if the driver is being a douche or street racing... I wouldn’t worry about how dark you go....

There is no “percentage” for tint under the Highway Traffic Act.
It’s the section “color coating obscuring interior”. Cops give that ticket if the driver is being a douche or street racing... I wouldn’t worry about how dark you go....
Here it is.... along with an explanation of a fairly recent addition--------------

Section 73(3) of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act states:

No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any colored spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.[1]

A recent Ontario law went into effect for vehicles manufactured after January 1, 2017, which prohibits any aftermarket window tinting on a vehicle’s front windshield.[2] The law also limits the allowable window tint on the front left and right windows to a maximum of 30% darkness. The law does not impose restrictions on tinting of the backside windows and rear window.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I hate tinted windows (front and side). As a pedestrian if you can't see a drivers face then you can't tell his intention or whether he can see you. IMO It's just as bad for other drivers. It's dangerous for others. Of course a lot of people don't seem to care.

I hate tinted windows (front and side). As a pedestrian if you can't see a drivers face then you can't tell his intention or whether he can see you. IMO It's just as bad for other drivers. It's dangerous for others. Of course a lot of people don't seem to care.
Or you can't see the strange look on the face of the guy that you are leaving in your dust

I have 35% tint on my sides. If a pedestrian is relying on face reading drivers intentions prior to doing whatever he intends to do, it's only a matter of time before he reads wrong anyway... I have had side tints for a lot of years on various vehicles and have never had an incident where someone stepped out in front of me or walked into the side of my ride because they couldn't see my face... On the flip side, I do notice that street beggars are less likely to come up to my window when they can't see me.... Bonus... See.... I care!

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
I have 35% tint on my sides. If a pedestrian is relying on face reading drivers intentions prior to doing whatever he intends to do, it's only a matter of time before he reads wrong anyway... I have had side tints for a lot of years on various vehicles and have never had an incident where someone stepped out in front of me or walked into the side of my ride because they couldn't see my face... On the flip side, I do notice that street beggars are less likely to come up to my window when they can't see me.... Bonus... See.... I care!
... And like I said, some people don't seem to care. :p
It's all about defensive driving and safety. EVERY bit of information matters! I can't tell you how many times I've saved myself from others inattention by seeing their intent through their side window when making lane changes etc.
If I'm standing at a corner and you are making a right turn on a red light and you are arguing with someone on your hands free phone and I can't tell whether you are paying attention or not I should just allow you to turn even though I have the right of way? If I can see you wave me along or see that you are actually focused on me then I can feel safe crossing the street. Any idea how many pedestrians are injured each year like this? More than 300 (pre-pandemic) are killed in Canada each year. Just saying, tinted windows don't help with that stat.
That is why there are laws about this.

I worked in a busy manufacturing plant for many years where pedestrians share a busy isle-way with lots of lift trucks. Physical communication was the norm there and I find I do it all the time when I'm driving. I get gestures from other drivers all the time. I find the extra communication helpful and try to reciprocate the friendly ones back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.