E979ED67-E58F-43F6-9A16-8BA510CF0421.jpeg
OK kids ,,,eat your heart out. Another sunny day on the South Island. Good day for a drive to a friends. Please notice the palm tree in the background.

There’s perhaps more dust on the show and shine trophies 🏆 won by those who don’t have black (dark color). 👑 😂
Once detailed with quality product a quick California dust works pretty good when needed on darker colors ... JMO

MITM taught me a lesson after valuable hours of cleaning versus chilling with a “pop” or two …
in that the one who leaves the bugs on their corvette,
quickly becomes the most popular as the show and shine judge 😁👍🏻

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Lol!! Black is beautiful along with many darker colors, but yes by the time you finish the detailing job there is literally dust on them already you can see, along with swirl marks, micro scratches, etc. As was mentioned white hides alot of flaws as well as silver. Yes properly washing and detailing a vehicle is very time consuming and tedious, but to some it is relaxing and almost zen like. Do whatever makes you happy and enjoy the Vette, it is only a car.

That's one of the reasons why I wanted Orange DSOM or grey. Black is a pain in the butt, I remember as a teen having a white 1987 blazer and first thing I did was have it painted black, it always looked dirty and every rock ping after that the white paint showed through.

But no way was I going to get a red or yellow car. Seriously if black bothers me too much after this summer I'll wrap it myself. I remember a product called "touchless" sold at Canadian tire 25 years ago and it made the black paint shine in no time with just a buffing rag.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Plumber's putty, what do you use that for?? It's oily you know and there's different kinds for different use. I have some in the truck.

Use it instead of a clay bar. It works the same but, for 1/100th the price. Try a bit, using the clay bar method.
I did not notice diff types....I grabbed the 1st one I saw:
20200201_192841.jpg

Plumbers Putty ... 🤔
I’ll switch over to it this spring.
Oh, my clay bar ??? 💰
So I don’t have to just throw it out,
will it work to seal my sink drain? 🤪

... no answer required ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12cents
That's one of the reasons why I wanted Orange DSOM or grey. Black is a pain in the butt, I remember as a teen having a white 1987 blazer and first thing I did was have it painted black, it always looked dirty and every rock ping after that the white paint showed through.

But no way was I going to get a red or yellow car. Seriously if black bothers me too much after this summer I'll wrap it myself. I remember a product called "touchless" sold at Canadian tire 25 years ago and it made the black paint shine in no time with just a buffing rag.

Wow ... that white paint didn’t get chipped 👍🏻
That’s an endorsement for the white in itself 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha

I love my black vehicles. I deliberately bought black and don't mind the detailing. In a short time, you learn how to and where to clean it up quickly. I can't imagine anyone buying a car in a color they don't like....then complaining about it.

Oh wait... I don't have to imagine it. Its all here to see. SMH

I checked some statistics for fun and based on export numbers to Canada 9450 were sent here (2014-2019) so where the heck are they all hiding? Sure I wasn't actively trying to look for them on the road but I can only remember seeing only 3 of them last summer. Where's the rest, I live in a big city so why don't I see hundreds of them driving by?

Are they garage queens? Did many of them crash? Did many of them get stolen and exported to Africa?

this one is in Calgary 19 Grand Sport - over 60 left Calgary to join the Caravan to Bowling Green last August.

Attachments

• RMC2.jpg
    RMC2.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Tango
Are you the the next Ed Bolion VinWiki for Corvettes? You don't expect me to go to the warehouse without any hot water and tell the woman to watch me wash the car?
You will be disappointed in me, I'll clean the car when it's time to get it and another wash for sure for the Italian festival in June and that might be it for the summer unless I go to the August mega car show. I don't have cleaning products or wash brush but I have a jetter.
He's a shrewd negotiator.

• Haha
I have some apprehension when I hear people say those tires aren't great on wet pavement, I've heard the car kicks out. Isn't the traction setting "wet" make it a safe way to drive? How about driving on wet pavement on city streets in 50km/hr, 70km/hr zones? What about the highway at 90 or 100km/hr? Do you leave a lot of distance between the car in front of you?

Other than that my car is going to be in the driveway all summer long, rain or shine. I wonder if I should get a cover to prevent dust because a black car shows dirt like crazy, I won't clean the car every week end by hand, no freaking way. Also a cover might attract less attention from thieves?
I park my car in a carport, I have a cover, but I almost never use it because of the hassle of the car being clean enough to put it on, and then not wanting to get dirt on the cover that then transfers onto the car and scratches. I would recommend trying it out but you may find your mileage varies. I think if I didn't have the carport I would use the cover after washing the car to try and keep it clean as long as possible.

• Agree
i definitely like many do not take the Vette out if it is raining or poor weather. I never had a drop of rain on my car till 11000km. Coming back from a Westfest cruise in BC, I hit the Alberta border and it poured solid rain for 4 hours. That was the highest anxiety I have ever experienced in that car. Came home safely and spent a couple of days under it doing a full undercarriage cleaning and detail. Going to the Bowling Green Corvette Caravan last year we also got stuck in a torrential downpour for several hours on a couple of interstates. The car's handle decently but need to be speed mindful to avoid hydroplaning. During that drive in the thick rain, the water pressure hitting my rear ACS side skirts cracked both back outside corners slightly. That was a 2 day complete clean and detail after the 13500km trip to bring it clean enough for my liking. Rain and weather happens but I don't panic when it does, just would rather not drive in it with the Vette if I have a choice.
That's a crazy story, glad the damage wasn't too severe.

The drive back from the Okanagan when I bought my car, I hit rain on highway 3 near Manning Park, and was fairly concerned because that was the first rain I'd driven the car in. I was doing about 100 KM/H on the highway when the rain started, the rear tires while looking good with plenty of tread were 9 years old, so anticipated it was going to get dicy, but as I eased off the speed a bit I was pleasantly surprised just how stable and controlled the car felt. I've been in even heavier rain since on a couple other trips and had similar experience, so really just comes down to sensible driving. Driving through the BC mountains and living on the cost, rain is inevitable, so I installed the GM splash guards, resigned myself to the fact that it's just a car, and as long as I'm sensible I can clean it later.

New to Corvettes last year. Got my C4 on the road in April, took it to Bayfield Corvette show and saw plenty of C7's.
Now in Ft Myers, 130+ Vettes at a Mustang/Corvette show. Lots of C7's.
No C7's yet at Parry Sound Cruizers events in summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.