Featured Thread
Love my car. But... the things that bother me about by '17 GS:

1) AFM valves... I have probably burned through 8 sets of these valves due to overheating. One car bought back by GM, second one has has the exhaust system repaired 4 times already. But at the same time I love the highway fuel economy.

2) Road noise. The stock sport cup 2 tires are unusable for road driving, the Conti Extreme Contact DWS have been much more civilized. I don't think the weight is worth the well reviewed sound deadening kits that are available for the car.

3) Price of CCB brake parts and track tires.

But every day I walk into my garage, I have a stupid grin on my face!

Reactions: OL Yeller and tyho
Blind spot monitor would be nice, funny how they are available on most vehicles that also have almost no blind spots. I understand trying to keep the price down but they could have offered it as a stand alone option and let the buyers decide based on that price.

Reactions: jdowney
Working on my 5th Corvette and third C7 each one was better than the other. I love my 2019 Grand Sport 2LT and with the exception of one bent wheel due to a pothole from hell it has been trouble free for the first 15k km. We do a fair amount of long distance touring so road noise is my only real complaint. The last two C7s were Grand Sports with the wider ZP tires and the tire noise is significantly louder than the 2014 Z51. My first remedy was to purchase the custom fitted noise deadener pad for the rear luggage area which worked well. Cost was around $200 by the time I imported it. I understand an even more effective action is to install the Michelin A/S 3+ tires after the OEM tires wear out which only takes about 25k km.
I am tempted to try a spray on sound deadener in just the wheel wells and see how much difference that makes.

My current C6 complaint is that its not a C7 or C8.
I've sound deadened the interior and so it is much quieter than it was. Replaced the original Bose stereo and added a sub for better base. the quality of the interior is the only point I guess I would really have an issue with now but that is what was new back in 2005. May change out the seats if I keep it and because the wife says I can't have any more Orange vehicles. But Orange is the only color I would have in a Corvette. Okay, maybe Blue, Red, White if it's a C8.........:drive:

It does make a noticeable difference. Not that expensive and it is a DIY over several hours, depending on how much you want to install. Lots of info out there about the products.
First thing I bought for my C5 and then later for my C7. Simple and cheap as you said...I had my mechanic install them as it's so easy when it's on a hoist...I think he charged 30 bucks for it. Totally eliminates the issue & frustration.

Reactions: RockyPM
Sometimes I do not like what it costs to maintain. Its not so bad if I can do the work myself, but if it heads to the shop,,,,, ouch!
However, I kind of knew that going in and after 15 years of many miles wearing that "grin" its worth it.

Reactions: RockyPM
Hello members, I apreciate the responses here,I have recently purchased a C5.I rely like these cars I find the interior noise very high , lots of tire noise.I'm Im the process of adding sound deadening material to all of the interior.I see that there is very little insulation in these cars.I do like to listen to the stereo when driving and holding a conversation as well. Lol,.I don't see why different tires should make much of a difference, chip seal and older pavement sure does.I have added insulation to the 370z I have that worked quite well, this is well worth the effort to purchase and apply.I really like to hear the engine and exhaust, to a limit esp on long runs.thanks lance

Attachments

• 20200508_113120.jpg
    20200508_113120.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 15
Interestingly enough, I had the skipshift on my C6 as well as my C7 and found that I had to make an effort to actually get it to skip from 1st to 4th. My shifts out of 1st are seldom, if ever under 2500 rpms. Possibly because I don't live in a city and rarely city drive, and when I am I like to bring the revs up over 2500 to shift....just makes my smile bigger... :Biggrin: For those that it does seem to bother, there's a cheap and easy fix for it.
I live in a city and skip shift would regularly engage, especially through intersections and slow traffic, so was manageable but annoying. Once bypassed it's like a normal manual so was definitely worth it to me.

Hello, fellow members. I had to do a short trip on the highway today with my wife along for the ride, and I have to say, the cabin inside at highway speed is very noisy. It was difficult to carry on a conversation without talking considerably louder than normal. This is probably my main dislike about my car, taking it from a 10 in my eyes, to a 9.9, so certainly not a deal breaker in my love for Corvettes. This got me wondering if there is anything you don’t care for about yours.
So, what do you all consider a dislike for your car?
As others have suggested, I'd definitely look into the tires, as there is a normal amount of road noise from high performance tires, but nothing that should prevent you from comfortably having a conversation. I haven't driven a C7 on the highway but it should be at least as quiet if not better than the C6, I'd say my C6 is louder than a passenger car on touring tires, and only marginally louder than a passenger car with performance tires. I insulated the floor of the rear hatch area and behind the seats which improved road noise on the highway so after tires that might be worth looking into. As a test try putting something into the hatch area like a pillowed up blanket or car cover to see what that does for noise, then would be an indicator as to whether insulating is worth it.

Mine keeps coming out also...I just stopped bothering to clip it back in.

Anyone else have problems with the seat belt staying in the retainer clip? Any DIY fixes out there? View attachment 41459

This is one of the easiest DIY fixes you will ever do. Cut a piece of plastic tubing. I think I used 1/2 inch diameter or so, and about 1 1/2 inches long. Slide it onto one side tab of the restrainer and then pull the other end back over the other side tab. Voila`... Problem fixed. Then take it off and do it again because you forgot to put the seat belt in there first.... Or was that me... :Ack2: ... I used clear but you might also find black tubing somewhere.

(I should get a job at this place)......

Thanks for the info Axe. By the time I got to the checkout the price went from US $39.95 to C$90.45 with shipping. I will try using silicone to glue the separator as a potential solution. If it works I will do a post. If not I will just hang my head!

This is one of the easiest DIY fixes you will ever do. Cut a piece of plastic tubing. I think I used 1/2 inch diameter or so, and about 1 1/2 inches long. Slide it onto one side tab of the restrainer and then pull the other end back over the other side tab. Voila`... Problem fixed. Then take it off and do it again because you forgot to put the seat belt in there first.... Or was that me... :Ack2: ... I used clear but you might also find black tubing somewhere.
"Launcelot, Galahad, and I, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit!"

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hello members, I apreciate the responses here,I have recently purchased a C5.I rely like these cars I find the interior noise very high , lots of tire noise.I'm Im the process of adding sound deadening material to all of the interior.I see that there is very little insulation in these cars.I do like to listen to the stereo when driving and holding a conversation as well. Lol,.I don't see why different tires should make much of a difference, chip seal and older pavement sure does.I have added insulation to the 370z I have that worked quite well, this is well worth the effort to purchase and apply.I really like to hear the engine and exhaust, to a limit esp on long runs.thanks lance

Different tires can make a lot of difference. Sound waves are vibrations that travel through the air very quickly but travel through hard objects even faster. The interior of a vehicle acts very much like the interior of a drum. Tires with harder rubber surface and/or stiffer sidewalls transfer the vibrations into the cabin much better than softer tires. Run flat tires have extremely stiff sidewalls, thus more sound wave transfer.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann and tyho
Thanks for the info Axe. By the time I got to the checkout the price went from US $39.95 to C$90.45 with shipping. I will try using silicone to glue the separator as a potential solution. If it works I will do a post. If not I will just hang my head!
Next trip south of the border.....have it shipped free to a us address
Rather than sillycone, I've been using this lately, with 100% success for similar jobs....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.