Camero lol!

Glad the baby is safe and sound....

People are so clueless. I always get people asking me what year my Vette is and then they're blown away when I say "01". They always say something like they thought it was newer. Lol!
Great write up Garry. Always good to read your "adventures". Sucks about the gauges and damage. Hopefully both are remedied easily. All the best,
Justin.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Garry , I don't know what to say . We checked and doubled checked and even triple checked the car before it left .

I am pretty sure that the coolant temp my just need to be replaced .

However , please look on the drivers side head close the alternator , that is where the coolant temp sensor is . Make sure that is is plugged in first . If it is then you just need a sensor and I will over night one to you if needed .

This should solve the problems with the AC as well .

Please let me ASAP so that I can look it for you .

Manny

Good afternoon Manny,

Hey I didn't think you'd be around on the weekend! We need to get you more hobbies.

No worries, I've been through enough situations with grain air cart monitors and GPS guidance systems that these things go from working at one end of the field to not working at the next end!! The nature of things electrical. But I'll give the coolant temperature sensor a look see, maybe while they were scratching the daylights out of the car they popped the trunk and pulled a wire off. And yes, everything temp gauge wise was working fine while I was down there at the end of April but these gremlins are just like that - they like to wait until they are away from someone who could solve the problem at the snap of their fingers and and wait until they are in the hands of, as I like to describe myself to my mechanically minded friends - a guy who can tell the box end from teh open end of a wrench 50% of the time!!

If I find the wire I may just even pull it off and push it on a few times to make sure the conenction is good.

It was funny with the knowledge that the coolant was not overheating but the car's computer would override the the AC thinking it was!! I am assuming that is why the "check engine" light was on as well so solving the false overheating signal will get rid of that too.

It looks like I could have my 1st autocross back in Dawson Creek on the 13th!! And maybe even my son with me!! Life gets better!! I can't wait to show off the car to the guys there!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Colin,

Back from Edmonton with the Z06 and yes I drove it back.

The "shippers" managed to put 5 1" scratches into the car so now I get to fill out claims paperwork.

Temp gauges don't work either (scared teh daylights out of me at first!) but it was so nice to drive it again.

Will post a proper reply tomorrow..........1100 km in one day for me is a lot but I know when I wake up tomorrow morning and go outside for exercise and see my baby there it will have been all worth while!

Cheers,

Garry

Wow -- that long journey is finally over .... I'm happy for you Garry ...... At least you have it back at home.
The scratches is just a claim -- it'll be fixed in no time.
Temp gauge issue must be the sensor Manny mentioned -- as he said it's located on the DS at the front of the valve cover. Just make sure it's attached. If it is it's probably a faulty sensor.

With the Dashtronics -- you don't have the same control over displays of the DIC -- a quick check would be to disconnect the D/Tronics at the computer port and see if the other functions return to normal.

Long trip for sure on one day -- did you hitch a ride to E or go on a long run?:D

Can't wait to hear of your thoughts on the car after not having it for 9 months.

C.

Good afternoon Everyone,

OK, picture it. So I go out to the car, pop the hood. My first recation is as usual wow that is a whole lot of wires. OK, drifer's side, got that......OK, front of valve cover......OK I'm going to pry up slightly on the coil pack cover, hey here is a two wire lead going to the front of the head. Must be it I'm thinking.

Crap it is still attached!

But Dad (electrical engineer) would remove the wire from the terminal and put it back on a few times "wires like corrosion" he'd say. OK it has one of those little plastic clips, lift up slightly so I don't break them off like I normally do. Put on, pull off, put on, pull off, God why am I even wasting my time (having flashbacks to Snake Charmer experience from the fall) doing this anyway?

Get back in car, start it. Analog gauge not moving. But wait......digial gauge not showing the bar filled.......and AC works!

A very strange feeling overcomes me, it sort of feels like.....hope, I think it is called.

So waiting, waiting, waiting..........

Analog gauge needle starts to move! Digital gauge bar starts to fill but only the corresponding amount to equal the analog gauge! AC still able to work!!

Amazing...........

Check engine light still on though..........but one thing at a time!

Thanks Manny, Colin, you talked me through it!!

Oh and welcome to the story JP, nice to have another Alberta person here! Hope you enjoy the story of my experience with this car..........

Good afternoon Everyone,

OK, picture it. So I go out to the car, pop the hood. My first recation is as usual wow that is a whole lot of wires. OK, drifer's side, got that......OK, front of valve cover......OK I'm going to pry up slightly on the coil pack cover, hey here is a two wire lead going to the front of the head. Must be it I'm thinking.

Crap it is still attached!

But Dad (electrical engineer) would remove the wire from the terminal and put it back on a few times "wires like corrosion" he'd say. OK it has one of those little plastic clips, lift up slightly so I don't break them off like I normally do. Put on, pull off, put on, pull off, God why am I even wasting my time (having flashbacks to Snake Charmer experience from the fall) doing this anyway?

Get back in car, start it. Analog gauge not moving. But wait......digial gauge not showing the bar filled.......and AC works!

A very strange feeling overcomes me, it sort of feels like.....hope, I think it is called.

So waiting, waiting, waiting..........

Analog gauge needle starts to move! Digital gauge bar starts to fill but only the corresponding amount to equal the analog gauge! AC still able to work!!

Amazing...........

Check engine light still on though..........but one thing at a time!

Thanks Manny, Colin, you talked me through it!!

Oh and welcome to the story JP, nice to have another Alberta person here! Hope you enjoy the story of my experience with this car..........

The engine light will stay on for as many as 20-25 key cycles even thought the problem is corrected :mad: .

I knew it was something simple :D

Now go pound the missile :canada:

Garry if you come across someone with a scan tool that plugs into the OBD port, you may be able to reset that CEL with it instead of waiting all those key cycles.

have fun bro,
C.

Glad everything is well now Garry :coolgleam:

You beat me to it Colin...lol

As Colin said get a scanner and hook it up to the computers ODBII port and erase the code :D. If I was close by you I would give you mine to erase the code

Good evening Manny, Colin, Crusher,

Manny, you are such a fountain of knowledge that I wonder if we realize howlucky we are to have you participating on this forum.........

Colin, Crusher dad has an OBD2 reader so I may just borrow it from him.

But sadly Manny has me curious to count how many times I have to count the key cycles before it goes away - darn you! So I may go to 30 and then if it doesn't go away by then I'll get Dad's scanner.

Oddly a friend who was camping got rained out and is coming over for a visit! My 1st passenger for a ride if they get here soon enough. If the sun is still bright enough I may get them to take some pictures for me, always a problem for me to do myself!

And now at least I know with a certainty that I can run the car without having a coolant temp issue.

And it is even sunny out so the road will hopefully not have too many puddles either!

Life improves one step at a time..........

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Crusher,

We'll see! They may not want to go for a ride even, you never know.........but it would be nice to get a non-experienced Corvette person's opinion on the experience! But the roads have to be dry dry dry. The past two to three hours have looked sunny and it is breezy now so you never know.

However Saturday night may not be the best time for foolishness too!

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning everyone from sunny Alberta!

So I took the car into town to give it a quick washing, it seems to have some sort of oily film on it that will require some greater attention but from 5 feet it looks awesome.

My friend that came over last night was a lady and funny enough cars were not the thing that got ridden..........!

So off to go running this morning in Peace River. Only two others showed up after me and no comments about the car and of we went for our run. When we returned after the run they asked questions about it.

Funny enough as I was arriving a red C5 coupe came into the parking lot as well, I waved but don't think he waved back or maybe he just didn't see me.

So the big difference between the drive in Breslau and being back home is the wide open spaces. I was able to tap the throttle a few times when I was in Ontario but not too often as it is a more built up area, lots of vehicles on the roads etc.

But here, well this is another example of the Alberta Advantage as they say. Leaving my home town and heading out the 4 miles of pavement I decided to acceperate a bit more briskly...........it is beyond describign the difference between the car now and in stock form. 1/2 throttle only and you'd better be ready to shift gears like now. So I took it up to "a good clip". When you get higher into the RPM and the boost comes on it is like being kicked in the back seat by a mule.

Manny, Arun, Steve, Andrew and Robbie and anyone I may have missed...........

THANK-YOU FOR THE F'ING INCREDIBLE JOB YOU DID ON THIS CAR!

How can anything be so much better than how you imagine it being???? I don't know how long I was laughing for but this is much better than in my dreams.

I'm home to clean up, to have lunch and then I am back to Peace River to run more and maybe cruise town a bit...............

Thanks so much for finishing my "F-YOU cancer" reward experience. I can't tell you how proud I am to have a DaSilva Corvette now. It is easily ten times the original car.

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Colin,

I find myself experiencing an odd sense of contentment in my life and I am really enjoying it!

Now to just find some road where I can let the boost build up! I'm not sure yet that the meth light has ever come on and I'd kind of like to see that!

Is there anything specific I need to look for when shopping for methanol? I imagine 100% meth? Do some have any additives I need to be aware of??

Cheers,

Garry

Colin,

I find myself experiencing an odd sense of contentment in my life and I am really enjoying it!

Now to just find some road where I can let the boost build up! I'm not sure yet that the meth light has ever come on and I'd kind of like to see that!

Is there anything specific I need to look for when shopping for methanol? I imagine 100% meth? Do some have any additives I need to be aware of??

Cheers,

Garry

Now your having fun :canada:

Any 100% meth from any hardware or paint store is fine .

Good afternoon Manny,

Thanks! I'll pick some up tomorrow to have on hand. I'm really excited to go to the next autocross in Dawson Creek on Saturday. I've been working on getting the brake pads "bedded-in" for this event.

Plus I just got a phone call and my son is in Edmonton and will be here around 9ish tonight!!!!! After two weeks of being gone! Thank goodness I was able to get the car so I don't have that activity to do this week. I can't wait to take my son for a ride, I'll have to see if I can find a place to mount the camera inside to record his expression!!!!! no doubt I hope it will be a happy father-son moment in my life.............kind of like the the first ride in the car with you to the restuarant!! Such good memories...........how blessed am I in my life now I ask you all??

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.