I get my meth from the local pusher -- um I mean from the local Home Depot. It's about $10 and hit I mean a US gallon.:D It's more pricey if you buy quarter hits um I mean quarts.:D

Methol Alcohol is the name...... Mine goes down quickly so keep track of the levels. When mine hit low the windshield washer symbol came on showing low washer fluid.

C.

Good evening,

Well, my faith in my fellow Corvette owners is now restored. So off I go to do more runing in Peace River. The running goes well. Off to Walmart to return a shirt my son gave me for Father's Day (I wish I was a M size!!). So I'm in the car and about to leave when I check to my right. Now how I could have missed this is beyond me, but beside me parked a C6!! Much rejoicing as that is the sort of thing that I like to do myself. but you'll recall the experince that I had with that C6 Z06 on Main Street in Pece River last summer and how that really was a disappointment. So I started to drive out of the parking lot when I thought, I need to to confirm what sort of C6 is it, no ZR1 or Z06 or any such emblem on the side.....so I drove around and there was no opening in the hood so I thought it must be a Z51.

So then I was suddenly seized by the thought of waiting for the owner to come out as I had the thought that it was sort of the same color as the C6 that I've seen at the furnature store in Grimshaw. So I thought I'd invest 5 or 10 minutes. So I parked in the open but behind and to the right of the car.

Eventually a couple come out and they start to get into the car when I called out to the guy that I was waiting for him to come back to his car. So he came over and we started talking and must have talked for 30 minutes - it was great!!

Steve from High Level. A Centennial (2012?) C6 Z51 that he bought last year, 198 km, ex-US car for 55K. He noticed the seat covers (!) and so we started talking about the mods.

I'm not sure if Manny noticed but I took a fist full of his business cards with me and put them in the storage compartment behind the gear shift. So first things first I took one out to give to him. And then we just talked about the mods, C6's and C7's and it was great. Too bad that he wasn't from Grimshaw though. And I told him about the Corvette Forum so maybe we'll see him on there some day.

Made me think - "you need to start bringign your camera with you!" as it was a missed photo op, my first local Corvette owner meeting and it was have been a nice keepsake.

A nice way to end the day as I prepare for my son's arrival. 20 km of running, two drives in the Z06 and meeting a civil Corvette owner. My life just rocks!

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Colin,

I just caught your post...........so does the engine use methanol all the time in small amounts? I thought it was only used when the car was under heavy boost and so as long as you were not deep into the throttle you would not have to fill for a long time.

Am I wrong in this or are you just enjoying your car too much?

Do you carry spare meth with you in the car or due to the fire hazard and the fact that when the fluid reservoir light comes on you still have some to go that is enough to last you until you get home? I mean I carry the windshield washer fuild with me in most of my other vehicles and that is 50% meth if I remember.

Cheers,

Garry

Well Hooooooo-leeeeeeeee crap am I late to this thread! :rofl:

Garry, I am so glad to hear that you have your yellow dragon back and breathing fire! Wooooo. It was a fun read going through this thread as you were waiting, waiting, waiting, then got your car! But there are scratches, and the gauges weren't working....so I am thinking, how is Garry going to solve this one, and bam, a few threads later, things are better! It's like a whirl wind of ups and downs (and I'm not talking about when your lady friend visited :D) but what an adventure! Looking forward to pics and hearing about your son' reaction. I'm super happy for you Garry!

Good evening Colin,

I just caught your post...........so does the engine use methanol all the time in small amounts? I thought it was only used when the car was under heavy boost and so as long as you were not deep into the throttle you would not have to fill for a long time.

Do you carry spare meth with you in the car or due to the fire hazard and the fact that when the fluid reservoir light comes on you still have some to go that is enough to last you until you get home? I mean I carry the windshield washer fuild with me in most of my other vehicles and that is 50% meth if I remember.

Cheers,

Garry

Garry the meth only comes on at 4psi of boost , otherwise it is not used .

Good evening Colin,

Do you carry spare meth with you in the car or due to the fire hazard and the fact that when the fluid reservoir light comes on you still have some to go that is enough to last you until you get home? I mean I carry the windshield washer fuild with me in most of my other vehicles and that is 50% meth if I remember.Cheers,Garry

Garry -- no probs carrying extra meth., tho it's not necessary -- It's basically windshield washer fluid -- and yes once the light comes on you should still have some left in the reservoir in reserve.

As Manny says, you shouldn't use any meth until 4lbs boost and so just keep an eye on it.

If you do happen to run out by chance, just keep the engine out of boost and you won't have nay problems.

C.

Hi Colin, Manny and Riley,

Riley nice to have to back with us and Colin and Manny thanks for the info, good stuff for me to know.

Just back from checking a plot, I took my son with me, just 4 hours in total but what a whine-fest! I am exhausted.

So I am resting, maybe even to take a nap, then we'll take the Z06 to Peace River to exercise on the dike together. I'm thinking about where to attach the camera so I can video my son's reaction............

Cheers,

Garry

Wow. Now that was something else. I'd taken up to 100 km/h with my friend last summer and just did 100 km/h with my son and in a very short distance! Blew my 2/3 shifts again and was pulling 2/5 instead so I need more work. I have a video clip that I'll try to upload.

The car gets HOT HOT HOT! I saw 250/260 degrees on that run!! I think we still have the stock theromstat (190?) in the car. Should I look at replacing with with a 170 or something cooler?

Here is an odd one. At the autorcross last year there was a guy with a ZR1 with a 710 Davenport kit. He's been racing the ZR1 this year and doing really well and he traded it off on a ZL1 Camero with a 700 kit..........now does this make as little sense to you guys as it does to me???

OK, so with the autocross coming up, should I look at doing anything to ge the car to run cooler????? Even at normal speed and throttle on the way home coming up out of the valley it was running at 240 degrees. Seems hotter than I'd like.

OK guys - opinions, comments, thoughts??

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Good morning BH76,

I've always found this to be the oddest experience with these cars. I think that it must be the traction control with the car which I have had everyone support using at all times. I've heeded that advice. Plus Manny recommended some sticky tires 1 cm wider on the rear end so they seem to hook up pretty solidly.

Yes, it was an investment to make, the mods, but like having bought the car to start with, a great move and providing another level of enjoyment. I just have to always tell myself to be responsible and to choose carefully my moments of pushing things. The car does accelerate so rapidly that it catches you off guard, the sense of speed outside of looking at it in the HUD is actually very hard to gauge as the car is so stable. I mean with a stock top end of 198, you often wonder what these cars are designed at as they must be made for mandling much greater speeds than they are capable of when they leave the factory.

Again the overriding experience is how the build did not change the daily driver driveability of the car. I still can take it to get my mail and go for my runs.

There is an autocross on Saturday 200 km away that I am thinking of entering, an opportunity to get together with car nuts and also puish the car in a legal setting. Sadly due to insurance reasons we can't have riders in the cars any more while competing.......my son was crushed when I told him last night.

On the plus side I'm getting experience with mounting a camera in the car!!

Cheers,

Garry

Great vid. Garry nice to see you again and meet Aidan ...... His smile and animations was worth the price of admission right there........

Pity about not being able to accompany you on the AutoX but maybe he'd like to vid Dad while you're competing.....

Strange that the Z is running so hot. I can't imagine Manny not switching the thermostat to a 160 maybe he can shed some light on that.
Could be a little air in the system that needs to 'bubble' out.

Sounds mean and fast -- enjoy and keep us up on developments ..... More vids would be great if you can manage it.....

Cheers

Colin

Last edited:
Good morning Colin,

I am also now understanding that it is not just a thermostat switch but that the car's computer also needs to be reset to turn on at the lower temperature, otherwise the thermostat will open at the lower temp but the fans will still not switch on until the stock 192 temp.............I can see why forged pistons now are recommended to for higher boost/hp engines! It was hard to tell what was happening faster, the car accelerating or the temp gauge climbing! I look forward to seeing what considered opinions are on the matter. If I need to do something about this or as long as I keep it below the 260 computer override I'm OK to go. No doubt I don't the temp this high but what do I know...........

There is going to be a big car cruise going on as well on Saturday, they had 300 cars last year! So maybe Aidan can get some rides from the guys then. But not doubt last year it was kind of cool to have him riding with me screaming his head off - "faster Dada, faster!"

Aidan is a great son, most days I don't think I deserve him or to be his father. The guilt of the divorce is always present for me still.

Wow. Now that was something else. I'd taken up to 181 with my friend last summer and just did 185 with my son and in a very short distance! Blew my 2/3 shifts again and was pulling 2/5 instead so I need more work. I have a video clip that I'll try to upload.

The car gets HOT HOT HOT! I saw 250/260 degrees on that run!! I think we still have the stock theromstat (190?) in the car. Should I look at replacing with with a 170 or something cooler?

Here is an odd one. At the autorcross last year there was a guy with a ZR1 with a 710 Davenport kit. He's been racing the ZR1 this year and doing really well and he traded it off on a ZL1 Camero with a 700 kit..........now does this make as little sense to you guys as it does to me???

OK, so with the autocross coming up, should I look at doing anything to ge teh car to run cooler????? Even at normal speed and throttle on the way home coming up out of the valley it was running at 240 degrees. Seems hotter than I'd like.

OK guys - opinions, comments, thoughts??

Cheers,

Garry

Hey Garry , you do have a 160 stat , but these cars get very hot with the supercharges .

Good morning Manny,

So nothing to worry about it reaching those temps? 250 is good to go??

All good to go then??

Flog it like a rented mule?

Pretend the car belonged to Colin?? My ex-wife??

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning nascar03,

You're more than welcome and it is my pleasure!

Just as it has been to share the build etc. with the forum members. Different cars, different builds, different owners, different experiences and this allows me to share what it has been like for me. Sort of the main point of having something like this, to let everyone participate in a positive, supportive, non-flaming environment.

I don't have Corvette/car people around here to get together with (yet) so it allows me to vent and to talk about what I am experiencing. My expectation is that whatever else is going on in my day, it is going to be better with 10 or 15 minutes of seat time in this car. As expensive as Dr. Phil would be but waaaaaay more fun. Best therapy ever!!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.