Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
Vararam makes some pretty bold claims for just adding an air intake. VR-SC1 Has anyone ever done back to back quarter mile tests to see if this is any where near accurate. It takes a lot of power to gain 3.5-4 tenths in the quarter. 39-42 hp in the mile I assume is pedal to the metal for a mile. As if there is anywhere we can ever do that around here. GM advertised that the 2005 C6 has a top speed of 186 mph. Kind of meaningless if you have nowhere to test it. Still, if there is real world evidence that I could get a 3-4 tenths improvement in quarter mile times, I'd be game to spend a few dollars. You will feel a gain like that. I just don't like wasting money and have been reading ludicrous hp claims for the last 45 years so I don't exactly jump up and down with excitement when I read this stuff. Show me. :)

Last edited:
Interesting... I read the advertising too.. I was interested, until I remembered... I don't race or drive car hard!! it has 350HP now!! why waste the money? plus I am unemployed for the rest of my life....

Vararam makes some pretty bold claims for just adding an air intake. VR-SC1 Has anyone ever done back to back quarter mile tests to see if this is any where near accurate. It takes a lot of power to gain 3.5-4 tenths in the quarter. 39-42 hp in the mile I assume is pedal to the metal for a mile. As if there is anywhere we can ever do that around here. GM advertised that the 2005 C6 has a top speed of 186 mph. Kind of meaningless if you have nowhere to test it. Still, if there is real world evidence that I could get a 3-4 tenths improvement in quarter mile times, I'd be game to spend a few dollars. You will feel a gain like that. I just don't like wasting money and have been reading ludicrous hp claims for the last 45 years so I don't exactly jump up and down with excitement when I read this stuff. Show me. :)

Tell you what , I will install one for you , if you don't feel a seat of the pants difference , I will remove it , return you money and there is no charge . I have offered this on every one I have every installed and have never had to refund anyone their money :D

Good morning Keith and 427Carl,

If you live locally how could you refuse???? You've nothing to lose and enjoyment to gain!

I've had three CAI's on previous vehicles and outside of the potential power gains there were other tangables. For me one of the best changes, and this is personal, is the difference in the exhaust noise. For some reason breathing better resulted in a much more pleasing sounding car. Not something related to power necessarily but but something related to enjoying the car a whole lot more.

If you Youtube the search I found (but don't have the link) a Vararam installed on a C5 with before and after dyno runs. The Vararam is designed to work while the car is moving - the ram air effect - but even in a static enviroment there was, as I recall, a 3 to 10 rwhp gain from idle to redline. Testing wrhp while the car is moving is of course much more difficult but if it works under static conditions the expectation would be that it would be better once you start to force the air in.

I also always liked them as you are not removing parts of the engine to install new pistons but just removing the old air filter and installing a new one.

Treat yourself, even on a pension! If you don't deserve this now in your life when will you ever????

Cheers,

Garry

Now, you've got me to thinking. You know the old saying, "Too much horsepower is just right." Something to think about over the winter. :)

Don't think too long guys about the mods you want . We are enjoying a loonie at par or close to for sometime now . That will not last and the price of parts will have to go up with the currency swing .

So if anyone is on the fence , don't wait too long , or it may cost you more you put you out the market all together .

Satisfied customer here.
I wanted an intake and Manny suggested the VaraRam which he guaranteed and I accepted.

The numbers didn't matter as much as Manny's suggestion which I had faith in and still do.

My brother liked mine so much that he had Manny install one on his '06 too.

Is it quicker? -- yes -- proof? no. but if push came to shove at the track I'd bet heavily that it is.

What's to think about with a guarantee like Manny offered?

C.

Even if you don't extract every pony out of an engine, for me the worth while mods are Cat-Back, Headers, Vararam, LS6 (or Fast) intake manifold. The reasons are, extra power if needed, looks and sound (for the cat-back), sound and power for the headers, even the Vararam sounds cool hearing your car suck in air when standing in front of the car when it is running. I'd bet with each of these mods there would be an increase in fuel economy so there is actually a pay back period for these mods!

Tell you what , I will install one for you , if you don't feel a seat of the pants difference , I will remove it , return you money and there is no charge . I have offered this on every one I have every installed and have never had to refund anyone their money :D

I would so take you up on this offer if I was in your neck of the woods Manny. That's why we love you here................there............wherever.

Who else would do this. I think I know what Davenport would say.
[mob][/mob]

I used to offer the same guarantee on tire sets I sold... :D The fellows who brought them back ticked me off !!:( If I buy something, and it does not work, I take my lumps, and do something different...:D My car runs 13.30-50 stock... quiet and smooth...:D getting too old for all the noise and notice by local OPP....:( but thanks anyway....

Last edited:
I took Manny's advice, and finally installed a Vararam. I wouldn't consider any other intake for my vette now. Once your computer recalibrates itself and you are able to drive it more spirited, it's amazing!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I used to offer the same guarantee on tire sets I sold... :D The fellows who brought them back ticked me off !!:( If I buy something, and it does not work, I take my lumps, and do something different...:D My car runs 13.30-50 stock... quiet and smooth...:D getting too old for all the noise and notice by local OPP....:( but thanks anyway....

Carl , just as a note this is one of the very mods that does not make extra noise , does not require you to cut , bend or alter your car in any way but does reslut in real world gains that you can feel .

Hey guys it is not a big deal!

You know which car I really enjoyed in my life? The Toyota Echo that I paid for 1/2 of that my ex-wife drove down the road with when she left me. Here's another of Garry's lessons you don't need to repeat. I got the "But I'd like the car to be in my name only so I can build up my credit rating" speach and of course didn't realize that the exploiting was taken place even then! So since the car was in her name only my half of the payments were considered to be "gifts". As were strangely the CC payments I made for her and help with her student loan payments. However, when she worked on my farm, for which she was paid market rates, it then further entitled her to 1/2 of the appreciated value in the farm land over the 5 years we were married for.

Now that I think about all these things that have happened to me in my life, why am I still (hopefully) sane????!!!

But the Echo was a blast to drive! I think 106 hp but 2400 lb curb weight, it felt like a rocketship! Plus it was so economical (52 mpg) and always so easy to park at the mall compared with some of those land battleship quad cab 4 by 4 turbo diesel trucks with lift kits that populate the roads out here - have fun walking 1/4 mile from the only parking spot you could find to fit that thing.

If 427Carl is happy with the performance of his car with 350hp and if he is not looking for a boost that is fine. Just like for my last four vehicles I CAI'd them each time. Personal preference.

I do have to ask 427Carl though, what reason did people have for returning tires? I know some people talk about road noise but the vast majority of us never come anywhere close to the performance limits of tires so what was their issue?? If I buy something and it doesn't work as I was told it would I expect to be able to return it but otherwise like you I'll take my lumps and learn for next time.

Onward, so the Z06 move takes place next week. Weather should not be too bad, I hope there will be no loading issues and it will be exciting for the car to start on its way to Ontario!

Cheers,

Garry

Yeah tell me about it Garry -- A lot of us have been thru that 'crap'......For me it was a real character builder.
Thankfully we can bounce back, in some fashion; a little worse for wear, but a little wiser too.:D

I do have to ask 427Carl though, what reason did people have for returning tires? I know some people talk about road noise....

For 16 years in Exeter On, and 12 years in Clinton, I helped customers pick tires to suit their needs... There was always a few, who drove for a few months, and then wanted something else.. I never had to give money back.. I just re-sold their tires... btw I have a cold air intake and Flowmaster duals on my 2500HD and Flowmaster cat back on my 03 Silverado 4.8L shortie.... My Corvette is sooo quiet and smooth and so cold a/c :rofl::rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.