Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5
Hey Guys,

I'm getting a "Service Vehicle Soon" message on my DIC on my '97 (no active handling), no other messages or lights coming on, I cleared all my codes and the only one that came back is C1281 - Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction

I'm guessing the steering wheel position sensor is the culprit? but what does uncorrelated malfunction mean? seems like a strange code...So reading up on the forum I believe Riley mentioned the SWPS was discontinued for the 99-00 model years but i think since then the 97-98 has also been discontinued? Can anyone help me confirm, i can't seem to find too much information about it online.

Also is this something that affects the drivability of the car or is it more of a nuisance where I can continue to use the car as needed until I get around to the repair?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer!

So far I'm still driving mine. The "Service Active Handling" is pretty sporadic on my car and if the warning comes up, I just turn off my Active Handling. The fact that the warning comes up and you don't have active handling is pretty interesting. I'll sniff around and see if I can find any other information....

Thanks Riley, just to add, i'm getting a "Service Vehicle Soon" message rather than a "service Active Handling" message, not sure if that makes a difference and the message has come on pretty consistently as soon as i start the car and start driving the past 2 times I've driven it.