Dec 21, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
BC
Hi there, in May of last year I had my 4th oil change done by the dealership at 9400 kms ( 4 free oil changes in first 2 yrs). I have driven the car abt 1000 kms since thn and my question is this. As its been a bit over a year since I last changed it, regardless of the miles put on the ca,r should I get it changed again? Does the oil degrade sitting in the engine? Input is appreciated....

I use to change my C6 in the spring and in the fall but have been 5000km or less per year on the C7. Mainly because no long trips to the southern states for quite some time. So now I change oil just before I lay my car up in the fall and drive the next year on new oil until fall comes again. I have to reset my oil life each spring as it falls from 98% to 40% based on time alone. Either that or someone is secretly driving it all winter...lol... Synthetic oil doesn't break down nearly as fast just sitting as conventional oils so no worries there.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
If you have driven your car a reasonable amount then there is a soot and acid build up in the oil so best to change before lay up in the autumn. Unless you are a year round driver.
I think the oil life diminishes during the winter because of the over night dreaming.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Hi there, in May of last year I had my 4th oil change done by the dealership at 9400 kms ( 4 free oil changes in first 2 yrs). I have driven the car abt 1000 kms since thn and my question is this. As its been a bit over a year since I last changed it, regardless of the miles put on the ca,r should I get it changed again? Does the oil degrade sitting in the engine? Input is appreciated....
I change it once per year: in the late fall before it goes to bed for the winter Nov. to Feb.!

I agree with Spence Paul. There are plenty of good reasons to change the oil at least yearly some more dependent on the temperature the car is stored at and others related to TAN and oil additive breakdown over time. Likely you would get away with not changing it yearly as you store your car warm but it is a few bucks for peace of mind.
You are correct as long as the car has been indoors you should have no issues on 4 month storage time , But as long as the changes are free it's a no brainer do it. Being a retired Mechanical Engineer l plan my 1st oil change at 800km .

You are correct as long as the car has been indoors you should have no issues on 4 month storage time , But as long as the changes are free it's a no brainer do it. Being a retired Mechanical Engineer l plan my 1st oil change at 800km .
My son is a mechanical engineer - graduated from UBC 3 years ago. Working in the EU because he met his GF while travelling in Vietnam after graduation. I only put 3K+ km on my car during the summer - so, comfortable 1x yr oil change.

My son is a mechanical engineer - graduated from UBC 3 years ago. Working in the EU because he met his GF while travelling in Vietnam after graduation. I only put 3K+ km on my car during the summer - so, comfortable 1x yr oil change.

Being a retired Civil, all I know about is municipal servicing infrastructure. If ever comes a time that my Vette starts having bowel movements, I will know how to treat it...

@Paul C& the oil degrades from sitting due to the build up of moisture, so even if you didn't drive at all, moisture can still build up. There are two ways to look at it, the manufacturer recommended service schedule and what you think is a good idea based on experience or normal. The service schedule recommends an oil change after one year. The general rule of thumb is 6 months for conventional oil and one year for synthetic.

Going in tmrw for my 5th oil change at a bit over 10000kms.... mainly due to being parked and idle....
I think we all over do it with oil changes - just my opinion - attached a good article on this subject. I do as well - 1x a yr with hardly any mileage - warranty??

Mark you will find the 800km oil change will be required and mentioned to you by your dealer to maintain your warranty if your C8 is managed as they did with the C7s.

@Paul C& the oil degrades from sitting due to the build up of moisture, so even if you didn't drive at all, moisture can still build up. There are two ways to look at it, the manufacturer recommended service schedule and what you think is a good idea based on experience or normal. The service schedule recommends an oil change after one year. The general rule of thumb is 6 months for conventional oil and one year for synthetic.
One good hot run will remove all moisture from the oil

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.