Jul 29, 2020
Brampton
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Corvette
Province
ON
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone who's gotten PPF and Ceramic coating done from their dealership prior to taking delivery, if you could please share your experience.

Thanks

I am a slow learner. Did it twice. Ended up both times having the PPF removed and replaced by professional installers. Would have saved a bucket of money, and hassle, had I gone outside the dealership on day one. Both times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin and turbozig
I looked at this too when I bought. After making some more inquiries it ended up being cheaper doing it with a profesionnal installer. The installer told me that they were doing it under contract for some dealers. The dealers are then over charging the clients to get their part of the profits on the service. Keep in mind it might not be that way for all dealers.

• Agree
Reactions: Dik
I had the PPF done at Spencer's. I don't know if I overpaid or not, but my situation was probably a bit different from most. I picked up the car in Cobourg on a Friday and then on Saturday drove it back home to Thunder Bay, about 1500kms. I wanted the paint protection on the car before all the debris hit it during the drive, and had no time to have it done outside of the dealership. The application was fantastic- unless you look really, really closely, you can't see the film at all, and I have no hesitation recommending it to anyone.

I had ceramic coating (not PPF but I could have had it installed as well) applied at the dealership by a third-party company. The detailer has a relationship with a few dealerships and a mobile unit that travels to the sites. Oh I am positive the dealership had a mark up but they also get a break too. I don't understand how this translates to the final cost?
Other than a brief test drive (after I wrote the cheque) my car was coated with less than 10 kilometers on the clock.

Thegurjot, I really regret not having some PPF installed!

If I were to do it again I would have the nose, lower rockers and behind the tires PPF'ed then CC the entire car.

:Cheers2:

Last edited:
Most dealers that I know of don't offer it unless you ask and then they "get it done".
The dealer won't do any paint correction unless they have a pro come in and do it.
XPEL has a track wrap that one can use to get the car home. It looks like heck because you do it, but if a long drive is ahead of you it's a consideration.

I had the nose of mine last Vette done through the dealer when new and paid way too much markup from what I could have had done at a PPF shop.

Another thing to consider if getting a dealership to PPF and ceramic coat your car...then driving it a long distance home, is how to handle any problems that might develop or be found later with the coatings. If the dealer is far away, it's unlikely you'll return the vehicle for corrective warranty work or at least it'll be a big hassle. Perhaps find out if the original dealership is affiliated with another dealer that's closer to you, and if so try to get written confirmation your local dealer will honour any such warranty issues. That may be a possibility or at least it was for me. Having said that, I agree with others that usually the better and less expensive route is to have it done by an independent professional and reputable installer.

Reactions: Kev
Had mine ceramic coated. My dealer subcontracts to someone. At first I passed on the offer, but ended up speaking to the guy that does the coating himself. Spoke about the process, products, and what to expect. $1800 bucks for the wheels, exterior, and interior - money well spent. The guy probably spent 10 hrs in prep alone getting all the swirls out from shipping the car in that bag.

For those who want to take this on themselves, they totally can as a DIY project. I left this one to the guys that do this for a living.

I would never get it done at a dealership. First of all they probably wont do paint correction. So you are applying film over defects and swirl marks and scuff marks and dust. A detailer will make sure the paint is in good shape. Secondly mechanic bays are usually dirty and you will be trapping in dust and dirt under the film. Lastly they usually contract the job out to a detailer and get their cut from the job. Take it to a reputable detail shop that does this for a living and who has been around for a long time that proves they are good. Had paint correction done on mine and then Expel applied on the whole car and then ceramic coated on top. Wasn't cheap but it was done right.

Attachments

• IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Cruzin
Reactions: kerry4
My detailer wont use 3M any more. He said the quality has gone downhill. He has been in business for over 20 years so I think he knows what he is talking about. Uses Expel now. Says it is thicker and just a better product. I have heard of 3M turning yellow that shows up on lighter colours worse.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.