Well.... If anyone is interested, scroll back 4 posts and look at the picture... That's what I woke up to again today.... Unfortunately as a mod, we are expected to act with some sense of responsibility, self control and good taste... With that in mind, I will take the high road, contain myself, and refrain from expressing how I really feel.....

And here is my smile for Mother Nature today....:butt:

48a3895e14ed953b5ba56a2f3a726730--free-funny-ecards-bottle-of-wine.jpg

Reactions: Rruuff Day
another of my favorites... I had a medical girlfriend convinced back in the day that the line was "Get on the Nurse"..... hahahaha.... she was mortified....lol.. :sexynurse:

Reactions: Pep
Well. It,s been a month since there has been any activity on the Canadian Weather thread so I thought I would share our wind storm story from Wednesday evening. I was working in my shop and about 4 o'clock, I came out to a raging windstorm. Told Brenda to draw some water as it looked like it was getting worse... No sooner got the words out when all of a sudden there was a huge crack and one of our laneway trees came down and took all our powerlines with it... By the end of the storm, I can't count how many trees we lost. In the laneway alone, probably a dozen..And the powerline between three separate poles... and down below the house in the treed area, I can't even guess how many trees... I will take the quad and get some more pictures down there later... Various neighbours lost everything from siding, to roofs, to grain bins.... 30 hours later (11:00 last night, we got power back (although we do have a stand-by generator so were not too hard done by).... Full kudos to Equis, our electrical provider...right from the time I called to advise, to getting service again... All of central Alberta was plagued with trees across powerlines and broken poles so my farm priority, especially with me having a generator, appeared to be more important to them than it was to Brenda and I. So once again...Full marks to Equis and the great pair of guys that worked all day and then into the late night in my yard... Anyhows... a couple pics for now...

The powerline cuprit

trees1.jpg

Stand-by power

trees2.jpg

Don't step in the puddle

trees3.jpg

Equis men to the rescue 24 hours later...

trees4.jpg

Still at it...

trees5.jpg

These guys don't take a break...

trees6.jpg

And even take time to pose for a picture for Brenda.... Of course she did reward them with butter tarts for the drive home....

trees7.jpg

Well. It,s been a month since there has been any activity on the Canadian Weather thread so I thought I would share our wind storm story from Wednesday evening. I was working in my shop and about 4 o'clock, I came out to a raging windstorm. Told Brenda to draw some water as it looked like it was getting worse... No sooner got the words out when all of a sudden there was a huge crack and one of our laneway trees came down and took all our powerlines with it... By the end of the storm, I can't count how many trees we lost. In the laneway alone, probably a dozen..And the powerline between three separate poles... and down below the house in the treed area, I can't even guess how many trees... I will take the quad and get some more pictures down there later... Various neighbours lost everything from siding, to roofs, to grain bins.... 30 hours later (11:00 last night, we got power back (although we do have a stand-by generator so were not too hard done by).... Full kudos to Equis, our electrical provider...right from the time I called to advise, to getting service again... All of central Alberta was plagued with trees across powerlines and broken poles so my farm priority, especially with me having a generator, appeared to be more important to them than it was to Brenda and I. So once again...Full marks to Equis and the great pair of guys that worked all day and then into the late night in my yard... Anyhows... a couple pics for now...

WOW Eric ... really looks like you had a rather "rruuff" day :angelic:

(and you can take liberty to reply with what you know will be on my a$$ end in a few weeks ... o_O)

honestly though, that's a lot to have to take from Mother Nature for sure ...

Last edited:
Oooof the storm was bad all over Alberta but it certainly looks worse there than it was in our area. Glad everyone is safe. I guess you have some firewood to buck up, huh? Maybe you should rig up a wood splitter to a PTO from your vette to get it done faster?

hqdefault.jpg

Eric, what a mess. Glad it was only power and a few trees you lost, sounds like it could have been worse. Lots of work cleaning it all up.

Certainly the weather has been odd right across the country. We had a couple of trees come down in a micro burst last week and landed them on my neighbours deck. He did not like me before he likes me less now.:Biggrin:

It was a bit Rruuff, Spence with no r... But not the first time. Those trees in the lane are mostly poplar that were planted right after WWII. Typically they have a healthy life of about 25 years so they are starting to show their age when the wind blows...

Randy! Would you say that rear wing helps keep the splitter blade from lifting? If you send me some of your design sketches, I may just have to build one... I find my hydraulic splitter a bit slow anyway.... :D

For the most part neighbours are often overrated anyway Murray. I'm thinking your neighbour should have taken your trees into consideration before building his deck where it is... after all, you can't be expected to think for the whole community... even if you are obviously the smartest resident there... ;)

Oh Poplars eh? Get idea ... fast growing ... but could end up being a long term concern when mature ...
an absolute "cash cow" in neighborhoods in the City that are about 40-50 years old with winds an heavy wet snow.

(noisy and crackly for fire pits too)

Eric..
I'm glad no one was hurt.
Poplars grow up and fall over.. that is their 'cycle'
My daughter's farm near Edmonton has a bunch that fall every year.
We took the ones out near the house many years ago.
If you're not in the forest they don't make a sound when they fall!

Sounds like great service from the 'Lectric Boys.

Take care cutting those trees up.

Graham

Eric..
I'm glad no one was hurt.
Poplars grow up and fall over.. that is their 'cycle'
My daughter's farm near Edmonton has a bunch that fall every year.
We took the ones out near the house many years ago.
If you're not in the forest they don't make a sound when they fall!

Sounds like great service from the 'Lectric Boys.

Take care cutting those trees up.

Graham

Thanks Graham..... Not my first rodeo with old poplar trees.... This area seems to be full of them... And yes... they aren't anything like the trees in NS.Those big oaks, beech, chestnuts etc. seemed to last for ever... probably much like the west coast... Yup.... I have a healthy respect for chain saws... have used them since I was a kid and touch wood (pun), no stitches... and I want to keep it that way...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread