Yes I thought that too until yesterday and $110.00 later. I certainly wish Ontario would review necessity of the front plate. I am in favour of back only.
Ontario did review the idea of eliminating the front plate around the time they approved the new blue plate. On the request of the OPP they decided against it. One of the reasons given was the new rapid license reading technology. If equipped with the special cameras a cruiser can instantly scan a plate and report if the vehicle is stolen. Apparently they can drive through a massive parking lot going up and down the rows and instantly recognize pick out a stolen vehicle. It would stand to reason that they could do the same when meeting traffic on a secondary highway.

We're one of only three provinces left still using front plates, the stats don't back up the OPP's claim at all (and their stolen vehicle claim is laughable, as the insurance industry will attest to), but hey, the OPP always has our best interest at heart, right?? LOL... remember, last month, they were the only police force in Ontario not to denounce the attempts by the Ford government to introduce heavy handed draconian policy to randomly stop cars to enforce "stay at home" orders. You know the one that was quickly reversed less than 48hrs later? Not dismissing Jack's comment, however, the stats on provinces with only one plate show tax savings with only manufacturing one plate per vehicle (commercial vehicles not included), never mind the esthetics comment. I'm all for saving tax payer dollars and the government grabbing more money out of our pockets. Provinces that switched to one plate (I've lived in 6 provinces over the course of my military career) from two have shown significant savings. Also, automated traffic and toll camera's use rear plates to collect fees and fines, not front plates.

So buddy is coming towards you (as a witness) and you gotta stick around hoping to catch a glimpse at his rear plate? As much as I don't like it, for the 1% that it may help, I'm all for it...
Would be the first time any government has ever supported anything to help only 1% of the population, unless of course the 1% were part of government.

So buddy is coming towards you (as a witness) and you gotta stick around hoping to catch a glimpse at his rear plate? As much as I don't like it, for the 1% that it may help, I'm all for it...
I understand your point, but I will question the statistical data on how many hit and run victims got a glimpse of the front plate. I had a neighbour on our street that was killed in a hit and run as he rode his bike. Pretty sure he was hit from behind and did not even see it coming. But I agree if it helps one, its a small issue for vehicle looks. In my observation of cars and SUV's on the road, we have a much bigger issue of overly tinted plastic covers. The laws must have relaxed over the years, in my youth, cops gave tickets for too much window tint and too plate covers that were not legible. I see more examples of dark tinted covers than anything else.

Reactions: vintageracer
In the grand scheme of things, people are dying all over the world. AND we can't golf. Pick your battle people...
Wait people are golfing all over the world, just not in Ontario! Nothing good comes from a game of golf. Just a good way of ruining a nice walk! LOL...Play hockey...Game ON!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like you being a 1% so I'm replacing you with Pozi . Jack is Roadkill.

• Angry
Reactions: Jack Raccoon!
Yes I thought that too until yesterday and $110.00 later. I certainly wish Ontario would review necessity of the front plate. I am in favour of back only.
Doug Ford originally said he was going to eliminate the front plates. Then he got hit with a lot of blow back from the Police Association and he said he would review it at a later date. Then COVID hit and nothing will happen until COVID is under control (Thanks for no vaccine Justin - blame falls solely on him). I'd suggest people do what I do, tweet, comment on facebook and all social media plateform to Doug, the transportation minister and Ontario PC Party. I even send them emails. They won't do it until everyone bombards them. By the way, Ontario is only 1 of 3 remaining provinces that still require the front plate.

Reactions: Gilles27 and ABC
I think your energy would be better spent polishing your centre caps...
This the problem with most lazy people out there. They want change but then they sit on their asses and do nothing because they are two lazy to take the time and wait for others to do it for them. But they always have an opinion, and want to get on their soap box and try to to tell you this or that, but too damn lazy to actually try to do something about it.

This the problem with most lazy people out there. They want change but then they sit on their asses and do nothing because they are two lazy to take the time and wait for others to do it for them. But they always have an opinion, and want to get on their soap box and try to to tell you this or that, but too damn lazy to actually try to do something about it.
Somebody needs a Snickers bar..I jest. But as Canadians, Apathy is our middle name..A trillion dollars in new debt and no one raises more than a meh?

• Agree
Reactions: pozi240 and 12cents
Somebody needs a Snickers bar..I jest. But as Canadians, Apathy is our middle name..A trillion dollars in new debt and no one raises more than a meh?
Exactly... and they will elect this asshat Justin again. The States fights for every single thing they have because they know if you give in just a little for whatever reason they won't stop and will keep taking. What do Canadians do... just roll over and keep taking the hits.

• Agree
Reactions: pozi240
I went without for a year, then got pulled over twice and received warnings. Eventually put the plate and bracket on...

Guess I'm just not that anal about plates. Front mandatory or not I don't really care. It looks like it is pretty easy to make one fit on a C8 with a little bending. The C7 is equally easy and also requires a little manipulation to make it fit well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread